FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Complete Newbie - what types of Sausage?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smokingmirrors

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05 07 3:28 pm    Post subject: Complete Newbie - what types of Sausage? Reply with quote

Hey there,

I've been reading the forums for a while and recently have become intrigued by the many and varied forms of sausage. Coming from the UK, sausage usually means 'bangers n mash' - which is fresh (I presume!) sausagemeat stuffed in casings and cooked up either under the grill (broiler) or in a fry pan.

Which is not to say that I'm unaware of the plethora of other sausages out there: summer sausage, breakfast sausage, kielbasa, chorizo, bratwurst and many other delights which come under the banner 'sausage'. In fact much of what confuses me is the sheer variety.

Assuming we are talking smoked sausage for a moment - what are the options/varieties/processes? eg Hot/'Cold' smoked? Fresh Meat/Cured?
What is meant by 'hot links' (or 'elgin' hot sausage as I often hear mentioned - never having sampled the delicacy myself I'm sad to say)?
Why is it necessary to 'cure' something that will be hot smoked?

Gosh I know I'm asking an awful lot of vague, open-ended questions here but some pointers in 'sausage lingo' would be v. helpful

Please understand I'm not looking to make my own sausage anytime soon - that sounds far too complex and difficult for a novice like me - but I would like to get a better appreciation of what I'm eating if nothing else Smile

Thanks!

--TY

Last edited by smokingmirrors on Wed Sep 05 07 5:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
smokingmirrors

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05 07 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and another burning (pun intended <groan>) question I have regards what wood to use when smoking sausage?

Having tried my hand at a few pork butts/picnic in the past few months, I learned fairly quickly about the evil that is creosote and the dangers of raw wood flung into the smoker

While I'm sure sausage is a completely different beast (from all I've read so far) - I'm aware there are things one can do to avoid creosote with hot smoking (eg well-seasoned wood, burning down wood to coals, warming wood before putting in smoker). How does one avoid creosote building up when smoking sausage (looking at the temperatures in some of the recipes here - temps seem to range between 150 and 200)?

Should one use lump wood, logs or sawdust? Would charcoal be a big nono? Which wood is best for smoking (assuming that some burn hotter than others)
rawtalent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05 07 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of info here:

http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage%20recipes.htm#ENGLISH-TYPE%20SAUSAGES-FRESH
ChileFarmer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05 07 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great link, lots of information. Thanks for posting.CF
smokingmirrors

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05 07 11:38 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Rawtalent - awesome link. Thanks!
smokingmirrors

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05 07 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, again in the dumb-newbie questions area:

How does one find the internal temperature of the sausage without puncturing the casing (which I presume is not good for the sausage)? Or do you prepare one link/sausage specifically for that purpose (ie it will be sacrificed at the end of cooking)?

I have heard much about the sausage served up in Texas - would that come under 'hot links' or something else? Is it cured?
As I understand it, the sausage is often cooked in the same smoker at the same time as the barbecue.

Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: