FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The best Sausage recipe I've ever had.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rob p

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31 07 10:03 am    Post subject: The best Sausage recipe I've ever had. Reply with quote

I'd like to share this with you folks. I found two recipes for kielbasa, and took a little from both. On the third try, I got this:

5 pounds of Pork butts
4T Kosher Salt
2t Coleman's Mustard powder
2T Sugar
2t Black pepper
2t Minced Garlic dry
2t Minced Onion dry
2t Marjoram leaves dry

I made about five feet of sausage, and threw it on the smoker. I smoked-cooked the sausage at 250 degrees for two hours. I read somewhere in a safety bulletin to smoke at a minimum of 250. I don't know how true it is but I figure it can't hurt. When I took out the sausage, it was white, so I fired up the bbq grill and threw it on for about five minutes a side. Nice and brown and crispy, I put it out for my friends. When I cut it, there was a red smoke ring about an eighth of an inch, and the sausage was juicy and really really good. I had to make ten pounds more the next day to satisfy the curiosity that was developing. I'm part Italian, and have made Italian sausage since childhood, and I'd rather have this. The original recipes calls for ice, mustard seeds, msg, white pepper and cure #1. I omitted all that stuff and added the onion. It's good.
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31 07 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, I'll have to try that. In the meantime, since you've been making Italian Sausage since you were young and since I have been sans said sausage since moving to Texas, would you mind sharing your recipe?
Thwaaack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13 07 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That recipe looks almost exactly like one of my deer sausage recipes....

The only differences being mine doesn't call for sugar or marjoram, and we use fresh onion.
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14 07 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty good to me. I was also pondering fresh vs dried.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: