FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

holy cow mom messed up!! NEED SOME HELP!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
colee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22 07 11:48 pm    Post subject: holy cow mom messed up!! NEED SOME HELP!!! Reply with quote

Hey y'all, I am a noobie here and to smoking, and man did I mess up this weekend!!! I live in West Virginia, and my sons are avid hunters, and so are their friends, soooooo I have A LOT of venison come through my house during the season. Really tired of plain old roast and jerky, thought I would smoke some. First I marinated for like 3 days, salt, sugar, spices . . . put in the smoker with hickory at 200 until it reached 165 internal temp. Really tastes harsh to me, nothing mellow about it. Now I do not give up easily and have told them all to bring another one. Now I need some help, the boys really put time into their hunting, and I dont want to ruin all the meat they bring in!!!! Please help me save face in front of the sportsmen in my life!! Embarassed
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23 07 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need info on smoker type, type of wood, color of smoke, etc….. It’s all in the details, pictures would help
Christopher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23 07 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you have a clean burning, hot fire. You don't really want to choke down your fire if it gets too hot. This will often give your food an oversmoked/bitter taste. You want a small fire burning efficiently to get you to your target temperature. Add only enough wood/charcoal to maintain your target temperature.

Make sure your smoke wood is dry and has been seasoned (not freshly cut/green).

Some people find hickory a little harsh by itself, maybe mix it with another milder wood like cherry, or apple.

Just a couple of thoughts.

What type of cooker were you using? This will help with suggestions.
CrazyChef
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23 07 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try reading this post by Alien, It is quite informative:
www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11458
colee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23 07 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok sorry, it is a Great Outdoors Grill Co. 34" Wide Body propane power smoker. I used hickory chips, and I smoked it last night while we were watching the steelers, so it was dark gray colored smoke. When the venison is cut, really looks good, about an 1/8 inch smoke ring, just flavor is salty/bitter maybe, and really strong.
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23 07 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be a light blue-ish color and looks like this:

http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc43/Teleking101/?action=view&current=DSCF0019.jpg

If it was gray it sounds like it didn't have enough air for combustion.
jvreeland
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23 07 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you over brined the meat. 3 days is a good amount of Brineing...

What was your ratio of Salt/Water/Sugar in the brine?
colee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23 07 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 cups of salt and sugar, 3 gallons of water
lowrider90

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23 07 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally, i'm not a fan of curing game meats with salt every time i have done it, including with a bear roast and venison the meat is just too salty. the only time i brine meats these days is with turkey or chicken meat.

Game meats generally do not have a lot of fat so the slow and low smoke may not be as good as smoking it at say 275 or even 300 degrees. It may be a better way for a venison roast.

so, my suggestion is to try some maple wood for the smoke you will find it much more sublte and do not cure. (add a rub with a little salt but do not brine) along with cooking at a higher temp you might be surprised on the turn out.

Good luck, Jay
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jvreeland
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23 07 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colee wrote:
3 cups of salt and sugar, 3 gallons of water

How much meat (poundage) was it? That seems kinda high to me, but it might not be depending on the amount of meat you were brineing.
Tek465

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24 07 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found chunks give a better result than using chips in my GOSM. They give off less smoke over a longer period of time. (better taste) Also don't use too much wood in a GOSM, rough guess, no more than 1-2 chunks per 2-3 hrs or 1 small handful (1/4-1/2 cup) chips per hour or more.

I replaced the smoker box with a small pie pan so the chunks actually burn down rather than become charcoal inside the smoker box. It also helps to turn my GOSM into a cold smoker, just 2-3 lit charcoal pieces and a chunk in the pan.

The chips usually give off dense smoke for about 30- 45 min. (harsh taste, burning eyes) I'd save the chips for the grill where you need that quick burst of flavor.

Don't soak the wood.
colee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24 07 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the entire deer, I left the larger muscles intact, pretty much make sure all was the same size.
Thanks everyone, all of your adivise has been so helpful
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Smoked Foods All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: