FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Sunday 10/28/07 Cookout Pics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29 07 9:59 am    Post subject: My Sunday 10/28/07 Cookout Pics Reply with quote

Today I cooked a turkey breast and 4 racks of baby back ribs. I used OCC Rancher and split pecan mini-logs for fuel and flavor.

The turkey got some Stubb's Herbal Mustard rub and some bruised fresh rosemary rub. The ribs got no rub, no marinade. I basted them three times during the cook with Litehouse Pomegranate Blueberry vinagerette.

My wife cooked guava BBQ sauce, making a double batch of this recipe using this guava paste we found in a local tiendita. We enhanced the recipe by using cane vinegar in lieu of cider vinegar, and adding 5 'heatless habaneros' - Caribbean seasoning peppers - as well as half a medium heat level Scotch Bonnet type pepper. This stuff rocks with pork ribs!

The 2-1-1 method worked great! I put the turkey breast in the cooker at 12:30 PM, the ribs on at 2:00 PM. At 6:30 PM, the turkey breast was 186 F internal, so everything came out of the cooker. I had a 30 minute allowance for rib basting and foiling exercises, counting the 2, 1, and 1 as inside the cooker time.

I need to find a better place to take pics of the finished food. Our dark countertops and black plates seem to affect the color balance the digital camera captures.

The finished turkey breast, ribs, and BBQ sauce.

The sliced BB ribs.

This week's pepper harvest. Two of the yellow varieties are heatless, two of the red varieties are medium heat. The remaining red variety and yellow variety are hot.

Thanks to everyone for the advice from my spare rib cook earlier this month!

Last edited by necron 99 on Tue Oct 30 07 10:47 am; edited 2 times in total
Smokinfunk
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29 07 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<drool> <wiping> Nice!!

Consider me your favorite charity in the event you need to get rid of leftovers..
Weber One-touch 22.5" grill
Weber One-touch 26" grill
============================

If God hadn't meant for us to eat animals, He would not have made them out of meat!
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30 07 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely love the lighting on that pan of ribs, That could be massaged a little bit and have it look like advertising quality.

Save that in the largest format you got.

I like the peppers too, We do not have much luck with gardens up here with all the deer, squirrels & chipmunks scamming everything. And we have already had 4 or 5 frosts already so our growing season is done early.
Doc1680
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30 07 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good necron 99. Thanks for that guava sauce recipe.

Doc
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30 07 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Plenty of leftovers, come on by! No guarantees what'll be left come the end of the week though. Laughing

I've lost a lot of pepper production this year due to caterpillar outbreaks, always when I'm off traveling (of course). My St. Lucia yellow seasoning pepper plant was almost totally denuded to twigs twice!

I got out of the habit of growing peppers, and I'm happy to have started that again as well. I got these plants from ChilePlants.com, anyone wanting details on what varieties I'm growing, and their relative pluses and minuses, feel free to PM me.

I just finished using the wife's pressure washer to blast the food grates before we lost the light here. The info I picked up from some folks taking the ones from their larger cookers to the car wash occasionally was a very helpful tip!

I have a (free!) smoker coming I was planning to use to dry smoke the excess peppers, then make ground chile powders from, but it arrived damaged last week so I sent it back. Hopefully the replacement will arrive this week. Otherwise, I'll be pickling peppers this coming weekend! Our Cajun neighbors don't care for the varieties I'm growing Shocked so I've taken excess to work several times to find happy homes. Colleagues who grew up in places like Nigeria, Shanghai, and the UK can't get enough of them, and I got some dried Nigerian chili powder and easy quick to prepare curry packets as gifts in return!
DaveyMac
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30 07 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking grub Necron! Interesting that you went with no rub on the ribs... I'd love to start growing some chiles to use in my rub.

Thanks for the pics!

Char-broil Silver smoker (slightly modified)
Stumps GF 222
Custom offset stick burner
KCBS CBJ
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30 07 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got too 'busy' with the flavors on my last set of ribs. This set went into the cooker au natural for 1 hour, then basted with the vinegarette once each hour afterward. This let them soak up a good smoke flavor from the pecan wood, and yet get a nice fruity shellac from the vinegarette that was compatible with the guava sauce.

You can get pepper powders from Peppermania if you're looking for it as a rub ingredient.

Smoked & Powdered Chiles

Here's what I use when I don't have fresh peppers handy and want the pepper flavor and heat without things like carrots, papaya, garlic, onion, spices, etc. added already.

Grace Scotch Bonnet Sauce

I can find this brand or one with the same ingredients list in both Houston and Baton Rouge, but the wonders of the world wide web can bring it right to the doorstep year round. Cool

I had a shaker of this stuff once (and it's blended with pasilla for cutterstock, but was still intense).
Smoked Habanero Powder
Really made pizza sing . . . and this is what I'm going to try making with a little mesquite and / or pecan wood, some propane, and excess fresh peppers. But I can't find such things made from the heatless habaneros, and thought that would be great stuff to have handy as well.
Reggae Q
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30 07 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I'm talking about! I love the caribean sauces. I'll send you my address so you can mail me some next time Very Happy
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31 07 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That food looks great necron 99,I just pulled all my hot peppers this week, i was lucky because we had a good frost the next day.
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31 07 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! No frost here yet, but we've had a few nights in the upper 40's F, and the plants are slowing down in their production.

Here's the other brand of minimally adulterated flavor-wise pepper sauce I can find in Baton Rouge. Reggae-Q oughta 'one love' it!

Jamacian Country Style

The orange habaneros I find in the produce section of stores like Whole Foods, Target, Wal-Mart, etc. all seem to have a slight, but noticeable, bitterness in the flavor to me so I skip those as long as I can either get my own or get a bottle of this or the Grace sauce to use.
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31 07 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Habaneros,Right out of my garden,these are my favorite pepper of all time,I also had three Scotch Bonnett plants as well.
lowrider90

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31 07 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a habaneros plant i started in the early summer here in new england. I got tons of flowers but no peppers. when it recently got too cold outside i transplanted it and moved it inside in a pefrect window spot. a couple of weeks after the transplant i'm getting lots of flowers still no peppers. looks like i'm doomed. do you have any advise on growing my all time favortie hot pepper? Yours look very good!

Jay
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01 07 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you're asking me or Mr. Bacon, so I'll assume you're asking both of us. great lookin' peppers CB!

Sounds like your plants are dropping their blossoms rather than developing them into fruit. Not enough sunlight and / or too much water are causes for this in our pepper plants. Bug / caterpillar invasion can also be a cause, but the leaves and everything but the main stalks are stripped if this is what's happening to my plants.
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01 07 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Necron 99,bugs love these plants until they older in growth,They do like lots of sun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: