FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pulled beef and ABTs. my first.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frosty
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01 07 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If You get a chance, look up a ServSafe course in your area & take the class. It's a 15 hr. course & costs around $160. I found it rather interesting, actually.
lowrider90

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01 07 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, i'll look em up. Jay
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Purple Haze

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01 07 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we all have deduced that cooking for business and cooking for personal can have a huge difference. The danger zone temps are what they are for a reason and the growth of bacteria is just as they say it is. However, the average "healthy" person's immune system can take a lot more than you would imagine. The restaurant temps are designed to cover everyone (or as wide a range as could reasonably be protected), whether you are "healthy" or not.

What Marv says it correct and his methods are great but if you strip the drama off of it you will find that we have all lived at home outside of the restaurant rules for years. On a daily basis you all have ingested ecoli, salmonella, and various other micro-organisms but not in significant doses. On personal time our lives are our own but for my catering business, however, its by the book definitely and always.
EastTennQcrew
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02 07 1:07 am    Post subject: Temps Reply with quote

Lowrider,

You referenced another post on another thread and commented that some one else also left the meat over night before serving.

Well the other post stated that the meat was wrapped and then placed in a cooler, and then came out hotter than could be touched.

That sounds like it was alot hoter than the 110 that you mentioned.

RandyE
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02 07 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purple Haze wrote:
I guess we all have deduced that cooking for business and cooking for personal can have a huge difference. The danger zone temps are what they are for a reason and the growth of bacteria is just as they say it is. However, the average "healthy" person's immune system can take a lot more than you would imagine. The restaurant temps are designed to cover everyone (or as wide a range as could reasonably be protected), whether you are "healthy" or not.

What Marv says it correct and his methods are great but if you strip the drama off of it you will find that we have all lived at home outside of the restaurant rules for years. On a daily basis you all have ingested ecoli, salmonella, and various other micro-organisms but not in significant doses. On personal time our lives are our own but for my catering business, however, its by the book definitely and always.

My lovely wife likes to tell the story of growing up in E Texas where her mom would cook and leave the food sitting on the stove (un-heated) ALL day so they could eat on it when ever somebody was hungry and no one got sick... Crying or Very sad
Purple Haze

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02 07 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marv,

To this day when I visit my father, cooked food still sits out all day long and people eat as they pass through. He still can't figure out why I come home just to eat out. Laughing

George
lowrider90

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03 07 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Temps Reply with quote

EastTennQcrew wrote:
Lowrider,

You referenced another post on another thread and commented that some one else also left the meat over night before serving.

Well the other post stated that the meat was wrapped and then placed in a cooler, and then came out hotter than could be touched.

That sounds like it was alot hoter than the 110 that you mentioned.

RandyE

Maybe, i cant say. but i can tell you mine, the pulled beef i did was too hot to handle without gloves at 110 degrees. i have seen many other posts with people leaving meat in coolers over night AND leaving meat out till it reached room temp BEFORE even cooking it.??? every one seems to be talinkg chances. I should say many people are taking chances, not everyone.

Last edited by lowrider90 on Sat Nov 03 07 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lowrider90

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03 07 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purple Haze wrote:

This is well said. thank you.
lowrider90

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03 07 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purple Haze wrote:
Marv,

To this day when I visit my father, cooked food still sits out all day long and people eat as they pass through. He still can't figure out why I come home just to eat out. Laughing

George

Marv, at least your consistent Very Happy . I appreciated that.

EDIT: never mind, i got the wrong guy. opps Confused
EastTennQcrew
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03 07 5:45 am    Post subject: temps Reply with quote

Low,

12 degrees above body temp? And the food was hotter than you could touch?

I'm not trying to beat up on you, but letting the food drop to that temp, and then serving it to others. Thats living on the ragged egde. That creates a lot of liablity.

RandyE
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03 07 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 yrs. ago I did a pig-dressed 90lb. I worked 11hrs. on my reg. job then dove 2.5hr. to site..2hr. to set up pit then 18hr. @240-250 est. to cook..After 12 hrs. into the cook at 5am I feel asleep for about 3 hrs. Pit when I woke read 115 ...MY BAD.. Pig was at 150 when I dozed off- 128 when I woke.. My decision? Tossed the pig & called a friend at Sonny's(ech!) to supply some of their famous reheated pulled pork... P.O.ed about 60 people but at least everybody was healthy if not happy...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: