FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quality Knives and Butcher Utensils???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07 07 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

American West wrote:
Here's a small bit of info I found a while back.
http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=26036

Excellent article! I bookmarked it for reading later. Thank you

Since I have been only using Henckels 4-star's forever and a day, it is the only knife that feels comfortable in my hands. Forschner has a new line I got to use at the Chicago NRA show (National Restaurant Association)
I avoided forschners in the past because the square edge on the bolster would cut up my middle finger at the side of my knuckle, but they changed that to a rounded edge now.

And henckels Santoku does the same thing now, it is a sharp square edge on the bolster! What are they thinking??

As someone else mentioned, Henckels do come in different grades, their stick-person emblem is the key! if it has twins on it, you got the good stuff, if it only has a single stick-person, it is consumer grade. otherwise the handles are personal preference for comfort.

Again, get what feels best in your hand and has a reputable steel for the blade and you should be good for the rest of your life and your grandkids life if they are properly cared for. I have been using my favorite Henckels 4-star 8" french since 1983, it is showing it's age, the blade bends lightly to the right, and the back end of the blade is starting to get an arc in the cutting edge. But I still use it for all but the finest of veggie work.
kbrew

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07 07 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing amount of information in that link.

But I use a Forschner plastic handle serrated bread knife for almost all of my general cookiing tasks, and Forschner serrated paring knives for much of the rest (and an 8" chef's knife from culinary school handles the rest). I buy the bread knives for 20 bucks and the paring knives for 3 for 10 from a guy who drives a van around from restuarant to restaurant.

I do use a steel on them until they wear out, at which time I buy new ones....
em21701

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07 07 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some of my knives used from a sharpening service. A lot of restaurants and butcher shops rent their knives from sharpening companies. Those companies will typically sell used knives pretty cheap. They are reasonably good quality and you know were you can get them sharpened! Professional sharpening is typically only a few dollars a knife, well worth it.
hdis2002

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07 07 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Forstner's and you have to watch the quality with those, also. If it's made in Switzerland, the quality is good but nowhere near the ones made in Germany. Both hold an edge extremely well, but the Swiss models have thinner blades and seem to be a bit more brittle.

Steve
lowrider90

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07 07 4:07 am    Post subject: I'm a cutco knife user. Reply with quote

I have two sets of knives. one set i use when i am outside the house, the other an inside set.

For the knives i dont want to be careful with a nice santuko (iusually pay 10 bucks for one like rachel rays) usually gets most of the work, and some old miracle maid knives i have still working like the boning knife can carver.

But whn i want to hold a very nice knife and know it will be sharp as a razor, i use Cutco. the santuko is an outstanding knife (you can get one on ebay new for 50 bucks) the carving knife is just unbeatable for carving and their steak knives need almost no effort. I have others but they dont get used so much. Plus lifetime warranty. I just got back from cutco a bread/slicing knife, i tested the knife just sliding it over my skin to feel the edge and i cut myself. Looked like new and it is five years old.

Expensive but the company does a good job.

the meat cleaver is fits in my hand just right and is heavy and slightly longer than my old one, needs less effort.

Last edited by lowrider90 on Wed Nov 07 07 4:14 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ThePigKahuna

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07 07 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Global Knives, the only knive that I will use. The most comfortable handles and the blade just doesnt dull. I have been using them professionally for 8 years now. Check your local restaurant supply store or here,
Cool http://www.globalknives.uk.com
ClayBBQ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07 07 8:37 am    Post subject: Check out this website Reply with quote

http://www.razoredgesystems.com/

This guy has written a great sharpening book. Harry he is in Ely, MN. I have his book and three of his sharpeners 2 guides and the mousetrap steel. I wil tell you the guides work extremely well for a long lasting edge. The mousetrap works extremely well also. If I was in a kitchen or a caterer I would have the mousetrap set up all the time. The only problem with the guides is that because of the lousy factory edges, it takes me about an hour the first time I sharpen a knife to get it sharp. I only use this system about 1 a year because I use the mousetrap and the spyderco system for touchups. Check it all out it works. And yes I have used a belt sander with and without the guides.
I have 4 Shun knives and love them
Also, I thought CIA was Central Intelligence Agency, scared me him recommending knives
tntitan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07 07 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try rada cutlery my friend sells these and for the price wow they are very nice they have a web site[/url]
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07 07 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my newest knife. I've had it for about a month and I love it. I looked at all the Henckles, Wustofs and Shuns, but this one felt the best in my hand by far. It is 33 layers of steel and the center is VG-10 steel just like a Shun. I can slice tomatoes thinner than a piece of paper with it.

It is a Calphalon Katana 8" chef's knife, which i think is a pretty new line of knives.

Click on the pictures for big.

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
JamesB
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07 07 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the house we have two pretty much complete sets of knives... For a wedding gift, we received a Henckels knife set and block... The wife uses these as she is terrible with knife maintenance... We have these sharpened about once a year...

A few years ago at a Chef's catalog warehouse sale, I picked up a set of Wustof's... These are MY knifes! Nobody else is allowed to use them, selfish I know... I have never had to have these re-sharpened... My go to knifes are the 8" Satuko, 10" chef's and the 6" boning knife... The others usually remain in the block.

For cooking away from the house, I have a few forschner knives in a knife roll. They are good and inexpensive enough that I don't worry about them too much... I've also found that for boning and trimming purposes, the cheap fish fillet knives you can get at Wally World for Bass Pro for about $6 are excellent!

James.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30 08 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks
Thanks for all of the good tips. After following the thread for a while, I finally bit the bullet and purchased a 20 cm Global Chefs knife. Man they are sharp straight out of the box! Easily sharp enough to shave with. Do you guys agree with Anthony Bourdain in that you only really need one knife, a Global Chefs knife? Or do you reckon he was slipped a backhander from Global Knives? The other thing I was surprised about was the variation in prices online for the same knife - ranging from 43-75 pounds.

I ended up getting mine from
http://www.global-knives-online.co.uk. Turned up 2 days latter- couldn't be happier. Thanks for you advice guys.

Stevo
Fig Pucker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30 08 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Check out this website Reply with quote

ClayBBQ wrote:
http://www.razoredgesystems.com/

I have 4 Shun knives and love them

I purchased several Shun knifes for my wife. They are stunning, and the balance is nice, but I CANT keep keep them sharp! I have sent them to the factory twice now to be resharpnend, but they soon loose thier razor's edge.

I'll run them along a steel but I don't get good results. I purchased the Shun electric sharpner, but get mediocre results with that as well.

What do you do?
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30 08 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Check out this website Reply with quote

Fig Pucker wrote:
What do you do?

Go back to one of my original posts. It is really all about the practice, practice, practice to put an edge on a knife. There are some fundamental guidelines to follow but it’s all about the practice and the right tools.

Just sharpend my block yesterday and all back to shaving status.

“The Bride of Franken Smoker”
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30 08 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stfox wrote:
Do you guys agree with Anthony Bourdain in that you only really need one knife, a Global Chefs knife? Or do you reckon he was slipped a backhander from Global Knives?

Bourdain is the "anti-celebrity chef". I know people are always saying one thing and doing another...but if Tony said that, then I'd go with it.

That is if you live life by what others say. Smile
bocaoma
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30 08 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teleking wrote:
One word and it aint going to be cheap “Wusthof”

http://www.chefscatalog.com/brand/wusthof.aspx

what he said! Cool
ClayBBQ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30 08 6:49 am    Post subject: Shun Knives Reply with quote

lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30 08 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dig my spyderco sharpmaker!
Capt Chrysler
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30 08 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Click on the pictures for big.

Is this made with Damascus steel?

Thanks
Capt. Chrysler
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30 08 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Shun Knives Reply with quote

ClayBBQ wrote:

Shun knives are sharpened at a 15 degree angle unlike regular knives that are at a 20-25 degree. They tell you that in the literature.

I actually changed the angle on the blade on 2 knives with a low speed belt sander using a very fine belt and made them closer to the 20-25 degree angle for sharpening.

Why did you do that?
g8trwood

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30 08 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for my 45th birthday, I bought myself a Blazen chef's knife from the Epicureanedge.com. The lenth of time it will hold an edge is simply amazing. The negative, I would not use it for heavy chopping as the blade is on the thin side, but as a slicer for veggies and meat it WAY outclasses my Henkles chef knife and my Wustoff sanuku(sp) When you slice a carrot with it, the edges have a glass like appearance and you can easily slice raw meat thin enough for making jerky.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: