FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Meat Safety

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14 07 10:58 pm    Post subject: Meat Safety Reply with quote

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2006-02-21-carbon-monoxide-meat_x.htm

I have never heard of such a thing. Pay attention to those sell by dates. This may have some less reputable establishments repackaging spoiled meats. I remember similar practice a few years back with re-dating eggs well past original expiration.

“The Bride of Franken Smoker”
lowrider90

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15 07 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very interesting, thanks for posting
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15 07 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

engineered altered environment packaging has been used by the wal-mart dynasty for many many years.

didn't you guys ever notice that the packaging is slightly balooned out on their meats?

Anyone remember the 20/20 investigation of "Food Lion", they were taking rotting past chicken and marinating to cover the stink and it to get it back out on the shelves so it would sell.

Almost anytime you see something smoked at the grocery store, it's becuase it was going bad and they had to extend the shelf life of it.

All kinds of dirty tricks used out there guys, shop smartly.

Oh, it's not limited to grocery stores, restaurants can be worse because your not ever seeing the food in it's raw state.
the people that order steaks 'Well-Done" usually get the oldest nastiest cuts because the overcooking of that meat covers the defects that they could not get away with by serving it rare.
lowrider90

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15 07 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
engineered altered environment packaging has been used by the wal-mart dynasty for many many years.

didn't you guys ever notice that the packaging is slightly balooned out on their meats?

Anyone remember the 20/20 investigation of "Food Lion", they were taking rotting past chicken and marinating to cover the stink and it to get it back out on the shelves so it would sell.

Almost anytime you see something smoked at the grocery store, it's becuase it was going bad and they had to extend the shelf life of it.

All kinds of dirty tricks used out there guys, shop smartly.

Oh, it's not limited to grocery stores, restaurants can be worse because your not ever seeing the food in it's raw state.
the people that order steaks 'Well-Done" usually get the oldest nastiest cuts because the overcooking of that meat covers the defects that they could not get away with by serving it rare.

Wow!, the things most of us dont know. I guess i wont be buying any more smoked ham hocks. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Smokinfunk
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15 07 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:

Yep, but I read a while ago that was because of nitrogen injection. This carbon monoxide bit must be a newer thing that's even more effective than nitrogen.

But you can tell something's up with the ballooned packages (especially when it's ground beef) because as soon as you start to crumble up the beef you see that it's only that pretty red color on the outside, brown on the inside.

Wonder if the CO is getting better penetration, or is simply cheaper (maybe they just back a truck up to the butcher and run an exhaust extension hose inside)? Twisted Evil
Weber One-touch 22.5" grill
Weber One-touch 26" grill
============================

If God hadn't meant for us to eat animals, He would not have made them out of meat!
NaX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15 07 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok this is a little scary. Most of this is news to me. So would you say its best to buy meat from a butcher rather than pre packed meat from a supermarket.
em21701

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16 07 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NaX wrote:
Ok this is a little scary. Most of this is news to me. So would you say its best to buy meat from a butcher rather than pre packed meat from a supermarket.

Always!

Although I do remember from when I was cutting meat, my boss told me that they used to add a small amount of a certain laundry soap to the hamburger. The longer the meat sat the redder it would be. That practice was outlawed, but it shows there are always tricks being played.
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16 07 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up. Shocked

I'm guessing this shift is someone found CO is even better than N2 in retarding aerobic (oxygen-using) bacteria growth. Both would deprive oxygen to the organism, but N2 would 'smother' stuff already present, maybe CO more efectively poisons the organism like the way it bonds with hemoglobin in our blood more readily than oxygen does. Dunno, bioscience ain't my strong suit.
em21701

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16 07 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

necron99 I wonder if you just answered it right there? I believe the browning of meat is due to oxidization. The CO would then prevent the Oxygen from getting to the meat preserving the red color.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: