FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grinding and stuffing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The-Cook-Shack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11 07 10:51 pm    Post subject: Grinding and stuffing Reply with quote

I have a Kitchen Aid mixer with the grinder and stuffer attachment. I have been grinding the meat then putting on the stuffing tube and filling them. Any one that has stuffed with this set up knows that the ground meat doesn't go back through the grinder well.Can the stuffing tube be used during the first grind so that I would be grinding and stuffing at the same time? Thanks.
broncosmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11 07 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might work, only problem I would forsee would be just plain pork hotdogs vs sausage. Even if you season the outside of the butt, I am not sure you would get a even taste throughout the sausage when it is ground. Just a thought.

Scott
The-Cook-Shack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12 07 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. What i have been doing is cutting up the pork butt into small cubes and then seasoning and mixing them well and then they sit in the fridge over night. The next day is when i grind and stuff them. I have some ready to grind this afternoon. I will let ya all know if it works. I also guess that if it goes through the grinder twice it may mix better. ???
hogtiedbbq

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12 07 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Grinding and stuffing Reply with quote

The-Cook-Shack wrote:
I have a Kitchen Aid mixer with the grinder and stuffer attachment. I have been grinding the meat then putting on the stuffing tube and filling them. Any one that has stuffed with this set up knows that the ground meat doesn't go back through the grinder well.Can the stuffing tube be used during the first grind so that I would be grinding and stuffing at the same time? Thanks.
I would look into a stuffer as a seperater piece of equipment. It does not smear the meat but forces it with a piston makes stuffing an easy and quick process. Look at cabela's or the sausage maker for theese. If You plan on making lots of sausage it is the way to go.
em21701

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12 07 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use the Kitchenaid for making sausage too. The secret is to put the meat back in the freezer and let it get good and cold again after grinding and mixing. It will be less sticky and will go through better, not great, just better. I broke the cheasy plastic stuffer tubes mid stuff and could not find replacements locally, so I bought a stuffer and haven't looked back.
The-Cook-Shack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12 07 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess if I am going to continue to make sausage I had better plan on getting a decent stuffer. I put my ground meat in the freezer and it still was difficult to put through the grinder again. I only made 12 pounds and all went quickly until I had to stuff the casings. Thanks for the help. I will search out a stuffer!!!!
hogtiedbbq

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13 07 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The-Cook-Shack wrote:
I guess if I am going to continue to make sausage I had better plan on getting a decent stuffer. I put my ground meat in the freezer and it still was difficult to put through the grinder again. I only made 12 pounds and all went quickly until I had to stuff the casings. Thanks for the help. I will search out a stuffer!!!!
Wise Choice!!!!! Very Happy
ChileFarmer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13 07 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a stuffer from northern tool. I think I researched it pretty good. Anyway the one I bought was the 15 pounder. It has steel gears. all the others I looked at were not. Here is the link. CF
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_6970_763591
hogtiedbbq

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14 07 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChileFarmer wrote:
I bought a stuffer from northern tool. I think I researched it pretty good. Anyway the one I bought was the 15 pounder. It has steel gears. all the others I looked at were not. Here is the link. CF
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_6970_763591
That is a good stuffer. I have the meat mixer (20 pound one) it is also good. I bought mine at Cabela's but I think it is the exact same one (same price) 99.00
ChileFarmer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14 07 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta get me a mixer, this tub mixing is killing me. What mixer did you get from where? CF
hogtiedbbq

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15 07 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 20 lb mixer from Cabela's. does a nice job on 20 lb batches. If You buy a larger mixer than that make sure it is motorised.
WBOGGS
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19 07 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get yourself a good bucket stuffer..

http://www.grizzly.com/products/h6252

And electric grinder...

http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=995

Save you lots of time and aggravation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: