FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions about a vertical stuffer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmy58

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15 07 10:54 pm    Post subject: Questions about a vertical stuffer Reply with quote

Iím looking to buy a vertical 5 lb stuffer. I was wondering if the less expensive models work as good as the costlier ones.
Iíve been using my grinder to stuff and I really donít care for the texture it leaves the meat after being run through the grinder a second time, and the amount that gets stuck and doesnít make it into the casing. Does the 2 gear models and the air relief valves really make things that much easier?
Thanks for any feedback,
Jim
broncosmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16 07 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

I have a few verticals and can recommend a couple things. First IMHO a five pounder is nice but if you are going to buy one get a 10 or even better 15#. When you get into making sausage five pound batches get small real quick. In all the vertical stuffers I have a air relief valve is a must, makes winding down the piston easier and less air onto your sausage. A problem that can be overcome with some modifications is getting all the meat out of the bottom of the piston and into the casings. Most stuffers on the bottom are angled towards the outlet and the piston does not come down all the way. Simply call up the manufacture and buy a spare piston, air valve, and large o ring. I have a LEM and it cost me about $25 for it. I then went to a plastic store around here and got a couple pieces of square 1x1x1 ($2) and glued them to the new piece. I then put this piece inthe stuffer when loaded and crank down with the original piston. This allow the new piston to go down further and push out more meat. Just my opinion on this I am sure more can chime in.

Scott
jimmy58

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16 07 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,
Thanks for the feedback and the tips for the modifications.
It's always better to know beforehand what you may be in for before you buy...I just wish I knew then what I know now about how expensive car racing is before I jumped in with both feet and check book open..lol
Texas-Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18 07 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree with broncosmoker as for what to look for...I have a 5lb LEM V-Stuffer...Works great.. I don't have any problems with it being a 5lb apposed to a 15lb.

There are some inexpensive ones on the market...Make sure they have the stainless gears..Northern Tool has one, that has nylon gears..
JamesB
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18 07 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased the 5lb vertical stuffer from Northern Tools... It does have the nylon gears, I hope they don't prove to be a problem!

James.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18 07 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesB wrote:
I just purchased the 5lb vertical stuffer from Northern Tools... It does have the nylon gears, I hope they don't prove to be a problem!

James.

I found two things that would jeopardize the gears. 1. Trying to stuff cured meats that are to cold, almost froze. 2. running the plunger to the bottom of the stuffer, bottoming out. As for longevity, I don't know how long they will last. I looked at them my self years ago. Guess the reviews I read turned me off.
JamesB
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19 07 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it was the reviews that I got about it that helped me with my decision to get this one... Will need to report back after it gets some use...

Thx,
James.
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20 07 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesB wrote:

James.

I have the same one James, i`ve done maybe 30-40 lbs so far no problems yet. My only regret is its a 5 ponder should have got a bigger one. Kinda like buying a pit. I wasn't too sure i`d like to stuff my own but love it so much i ordered a masterbuilt electric smoker just for doing the sausages. More control over the heat and smoke. Should be fun. Wink

Jimmy the vert. 5 pounder is a nice one works good for me so far got it
from norther tool, like i said i wasn't too sure i`d like to stuff my but it works good.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200308623_200308623
JamesB
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20 07 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there Jeff... I know what ya mean about the 5 lber... It looked good sized in the store, but now that I've used it only once, I'm kinda wishing I had done what I always tell folks when they are considering a new pit... get the next size larger than you think you will ever need!

This one did work like a champ tho... at least for ~10lbs or so for a first run!

James.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: