FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Split pea soup- love it-hate it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02 08 7:25 am    Post subject: Split pea soup- love it-hate it? Reply with quote

Well the weather man is calling for some REALLY cold temps here ( 35-40)so it"s a good excuse for me to make some split pea & smoked hocks soup/ with grilled ham & cheese sammie's...
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02 08 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished up the turkey soup,had it with grilled cheese sammies,the ham bones are still in the freezer,but they will be part of the pea soup soon. Smile
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
Smoke Daddy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02 08 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split Pea Soup. There is something I don't have too often. I have never made it. If you get the time I'd sure appreciate a recipe Wink

Homemade horizontal offset
Kingsford kettle
professional warming oven converted to bradley biscuit burner (current project)
wnkt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02 08 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many moons ago we used to make a big ol pot of garbanzo bean soup when it was going to get real cold or we were expecting an ice storm and power to be out....we could put the pot on the wood burning stove if we had to.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02 08 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love IT!

Split pea and Ham soup recipe.

Pour 2 packages of split peas into a colander check for stones etc. Rinse them under cold water.

Put the washed split peas into a large pan with 16 cups of water, chop 2 medium onions add them to the pan, add ham cubed into 3/4" cubes, if you have a ham bone add that too!

Grind in some fresh black pepper and a sprinkle of salt to taste, stir, bring to a boil stir well, lid and reduce heat to a simmer, simmer for 2 hours, stir every 20 minutes.

Check after 2 hours to see if the peas have softened, if they haven't softened yet, simmer another 20 minutes, check again.

Serve in a bowl with some crusty white bread, and a drizzle of malt vinegar around the top of the bowl.

Adjust salt and pepper to taste.

I still work here!
Frosty
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02 08 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think you could put those ham cubes in the ol' smoker for an hour before tossing them in the soup...kinda " kick 'er up a notch". Wink

maybe the New England guys could 'smoke some clam strips' & toss them in a pot of clam chowder..? Idea Question
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02 08 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was presuming that the Ham would have been smoked anyway!

It would have been in my household. Wink Laughing Wink

I still work here!
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02 08 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it as well!

Got a pot of ham and bean for tommorrow night, and some split pea for later this week.

We are supposed to get some freezing weather the next couple of days- some hot soup hits the spot.
Smoke Daddy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02 08 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it. Thanks SoEzzy Exclamation

Homemade horizontal offset
Kingsford kettle
professional warming oven converted to bradley biscuit burner (current project)
lowrider90

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03 08 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frosty wrote:
I would think you could put those ham cubes in the ol' smoker for an hour before tossing them in the soup...kinda " kick 'er up a notch". Wink

maybe the New England guys could 'smoke some clam strips' & toss them in a pot of clam chowder..? Idea Question

Cape cod here, I have smoked mussles, but never clams, and probably never will. Just doesn't sound right. smoke clam chowder?? no way.

Now i might add some smoked mussles to my stuffed cohog recipe and try that. that just might work, thanks for the idea.

Mussles and Blue fish are the seafood we smoke around here salmon too, and I have smoked fresh caught bluefin tuna.

The problem with blue fin is that a properly cooked (for me) is rare in the middle. takes 1 to 2 minutes per side only and on a hot grill. so you have to smoke/cook them first or last in the smoker at high heat. but it comes out great. just the right touch of smoke.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
gotwood
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03 08 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anytime I cook/reheat a ham on the bone I make ....

split pea
lentil
or
navy bean soup
Louie3
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03 08 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When making Pea Soup, don't forget the doughboys!!!

http://www.grosmorne.ca/recipes/peasoup/index.html
bluesman250
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04 08 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Split pea soup- love it-hate it? Reply with quote

jess wrote:
Well the weather man is calling for some REALLY cold temps here ( 35-40)so it"s a good excuse for me to make some split pea & smoked hocks soup/ with grilled ham & cheese sammie's...

35-40 is cold? Rolling Eyes This fine morning it was 10 BELOW zero, and thats not to bad for a winter morning. Razz Razz

I love split pea soup. Our butcher shop here sells these huge smoked ham hocks. To me, those make the best soup. The meat is tender, and the smoke flavor makes a great base. Plus, its easy. here is what i do.

1 smoked ham hock
2 bags dried split peas
bay leaf
thyme
sage
garlic
salt
pepper

Rinse the peas, check for stones and dis colored peas. Bring water to a boil(the amount required on the bag, depending on how much peas you use) and add the peas. Remove from the heat and let sit 1 hour. Add ham hock, 2 bay leafs, and thyme, sage, garlic and salt to taste. Simmer covered for 3 hours. Remove ham hock and allow to cool. Pick meat off the bone, add back to soup. Taste and season again as needed. Serve.

And tip for you. Should you use a ham hock, you do not need to use chicken stock, water is fine. But make sure your butcher splits the hock. Doing this cracks the bone, allowing the marrow to flavor the base.
J.R.B.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04 08 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love split pea soup but it doesn't love me. It makes me fart.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: