FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bending a door
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marshallbbq
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17 08 5:32 am    Post subject: Bending a door Reply with quote

I purchased a offset smoker (made from a 120 gallon propane tank) but the door does not seal completely. Has anyone tried to bend or reform a door? It is made from 1/4 inch steel. I have thought about heating. Any other suggestions?
Large BGE
Medium BGE
UDS
Ducan gasser.
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17 08 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use wood stove gasket is my best suggestion. Try McMaster Carr.
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17 08 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to tension it with a pipe clamp (or 2) and heat it on the outside. It is easier to stretch metal than compress it. Heat it on the inside and you'll be fighting yourself. Be careful hitting it, especially when hot, it will be easy to dent. If that don't work, I have a good bottle jack trick that works, but you will need to do some welding.
txfireguy2003
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17 08 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try flame straightening by using a rosebud tip on Oxy/Ace torch to get a "strip" of the metal on the inside suface of the door up to a cherry red color, then allow it to cool and it might pull in some. I have had VERY limited success with that process though. Another option I learned from this site, depending on how big of a gap you have, would be to go to a fireplace store and get some wood stove cement and a rope type gasket to fill the void and make a seal. I plan to use this method on my current project whether there is any warpage or not, just to get a total seal.
marshallbbq
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17 08 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried rope gasket and have run into two problems. First the door has a solid seal in some areas but not so good in other, so the gasket will not fit everywhere. It is to thick or thin in areas. Also, I have had trouble getting it to stick to the door and the gasket. I have used stove cement, still is coming loose.
Large BGE
Medium BGE
UDS
Ducan gasser.
marshallbbq
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17 08 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis_Creek wrote:
You need to tension it with a pipe clamp (or 2) and heat it on the outside. It is easier to stretch metal than compress it. Heat it on the inside and you'll be fighting yourself. Be careful hitting it, especially when hot, it will be easy to dent. If that don't work, I have a good bottle jack trick that works, but you will need to do some welding.

When you say "tension it" what are you referring to?
Large BGE
Medium BGE
UDS
Ducan gasser.
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17 08 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clamp it from top to bottom, the direction you want to bend it. Bending a door back is not easy, you may even have to cut it off, bend it, then reweld.
Smoke on the Horizon
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17 08 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis_Creek wrote:
Clamp it from top to bottom, the direction you want to bend it. Bending a door back is not easy, you may even have to cut it off, bend it, then reweld.

Travis,
You never cease to amaze me with the way you are willing to share your experience and tricks of the trade here on the ring.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Don
marshallbbq
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17 08 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis_Creek wrote:

Travis,

I am trying to bend it in toward the smoker, the door is about 4 foot wide and 2 foot in height. When you say bend it from top to bottom, I am sorry I am still confused. The top of the door seals fairly well but the bottom all the way across needs about 1/2 inch and one side a little more. The top I can fix with a rope gasket. Is there anyway to clamp it around the tank and then heat? Thanks for your help Travis.
Large BGE
Medium BGE
UDS
Ducan gasser.
saintjoemo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17 08 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a similar problem on our build. We placed metal pieces on the concrete floor, placed a piece of flat metal in the middle, then ran over the middle of the door with a forklift. Worked pretty well. Don't have any idea what your equipment resources are. How about an idea of what you have to work with?
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17 08 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open the door and place a clamp or two from top to bottom on the inside of the door. It should bend the door in the direction you want. The clamps are holding tension, then heat the outside of the door.
Ratmo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17 08 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could this be a hinge problem?
Ive had this happen before, but on mine, it needed to be ground down some on the top inside. I have seen the same problem with the rod type hinge being set to far back. No pro here, just got me to thinkin.
jib
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18 08 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A reallly good welder with a gas torch can straighten that up quickly.

My dad owned a structura steel fab shop. He built some ornate Stainless railing with a 4 inch pipe on the top, as the handrail. By the time all the comonents were fabbed up, it looked like a piece of spagetti. I watched his top guy with a water spray bottle and a Oxy-acetylene torch work his way down that piece, heating, cooling, heating, etc. He had a 20 foot length done, straight as new, in under an hour. I asked him to show me how to do it, which he did, but he also told me it would take 10+ years to master; which I believe.

Jack
JoeD
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18 08 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis_Creek wrote:

Ditto on that
Forkin Pork
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18 08 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way little fella's. How do we get stove rope or gasket to stay on or stick to the door. Rolling Eyes Im at a loss!
I'll be gettin a diamomd plate Fatty soon, bet they figure out of to make the darn thing stay in place!
But I do need to find the asnwer to this problem, sews I can finish the project Im working.
FATFRANK

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19 08 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northsmoke wrote:
By the way little fella's. How do we get stove rope or gasket to stay on or stick to the door. Rolling Eyes Im at a loss!
I'll be gettin a diamomd plate Fatty soon, bet they figure out of to make the darn thing stay in place!
But I do need to find the asnwer to this problem, sews I can finish the project Im working.

I usually rivet them on with a washer under the rivet head.
hvac81
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19 08 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FATFRANK wrote:
Northsmoke wrote:

I usually rivet them on with a washer under the rivet head.

Like so?

smokin Jim
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19 08 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stove cement that comes with the rope gasket is no good. What I have used is the red, high temperature silicone sealant. This seems to do the job. In fact I know of some that just run a bead of the high temp silicone, let it set up and then close the door. Letting the silicone make the gasket.
VC5007 gasser
KCBS CBJ
divechief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21 08 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few pics of how I bent my door into shape. It's 3/8" thick. I heated it with a torch and cranked tension into it with an old jack. The first try I went too far and had to do it again with the jack on the outside of the door. I didn't take pics of the second bend.

mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21 08 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

divechief, that's sweet. Consider that idea stolen!

Here's a couple of ways I've done it:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: