FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For the welders. Material to weld stainless to mild steal?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigpayne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07 08 10:20 pm    Post subject: For the welders. Material to weld stainless to mild steal? Reply with quote

I got a 1/4 in thick stainles firebox and got to weld mild steal to the ends. One guy told me you can weld it with the wire welder that I've been using and another guy told me I couldn't that I had to use stainles rod. What do I do?
istock74
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07 08 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do it with wire. In fact you can do it either with copper (mild steel ) wire or with stainless wire. I have found that the copper wire actually works a little better. Copper wire will also be much easier on your pocket book as the price on 44 # spools of stainless wire are now around $365.00 each around these parts.

There is a large hog packer in Oklahoma that switched to all stainless overhead rail several years back and when it was done all of their track switches were built using stainless steel track with mild steel frame components. They have been using these switches for quite a while with no issues.
UDS
Weber Performer
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07 08 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, mild steel wire works fine.
mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07 08 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with istock (and Travis who beat me to the punch during a Preview). FYI though, the mild steel wire is only copper coated to prevent it from rusting so it looks like copper wire. You would have to switch to 100%Argon or Tri-Mix gas to add to the cost of using SS wire.

Tack it many places and move around because the SS will move a lot as you heat it.
istock74
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07 08 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrcustomsteel wrote:
I agree with istock (and Travis who beat me to the punch during a Preview). FYI though, the mild steel wire is only copper coated to prevent it from rusting so it looks like copper wire. You would have to switch to 100%Argon or Tri-Mix gas to add to the cost of using SS wire.

Tack it many places and move around because the SS will move a lot as you heat it.

Yep. That is all pertinent info that I left out Laughing . I know what they say about assumption, but as you can see it didn't phase me! When I posted I was assuming mixed gas and not CO2. We use Moongone here for both mild steel and stainless.
UDS
Weber Performer
bigpayne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07 08 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I'm no welder and this is my first project. I dont know what kind of wire I'm using but it don't look like coper. It is silver in color and it is called gasless fluxcore and that is all I know.

Is this what you are talking about?
istock74
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 08 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I familiar with that. It's common in the the 110 welders. Once about 6 years ago I used a rig like that to try and repair a broken right rear shock mount on my car while at a track here in Iowa. That was my first and only experience with using flux wire with no gas. I'm sure that there are lots of welders out there who can get the job done with this set up but I was not one of them. My pathetic welding job held up for about 3 laps and I felt the top mount give way going into turn 1. Hello wheel hop city!!! Laughing We do have a 110 welder at the shop but it is set up with copper coated wire and uses Moongone like the rest of our welders. Hopefully someone can chime in that has more experience with flux wire. Sorry I could not be of more help.
UDS
Weber Performer
bigpayne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 08 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The welder I'm using is a Hobart, don't know what size it is but it is a smaller one but it does use 220 and I bought a 10lbs roll of .30 wire which is all I think it will hold.
mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 08 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

istock, I don't know that Moongone gas. What type of mix is it?

Flux core is a common wire. You don't need gas so it is good for outdoors or a hot shop in summer when you need fans that will blow the gas away. You use different polarity for each. Solid wire with gas=Electrode Positive, Flux Core=Electrode negative. There should be a diagram on the inside of the machine. From the looks of your build thread you have it under control.
istock74
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 08 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its Argon and CO2 and Oxygen mix. Like 90% Argon, 7.5 % CO2 and 2.5 % Oxygen. Been using it under a variety of names from Stargone To Moongone, depending on the supplier, for about 15 years now. By way of comparison to straight CO2 for mild steel it is a good deal more forgiving especially for the inexperienced welder. It puddles and moves better than CO2. Also cuts way down in the spatter area especially in our case where a lot of the welding is at less than desirable positions.
UDS
Weber Performer
Browser

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 08 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say use dissimilar metal rods, but you're using MIG not arc, so I'll shut up Confused Very Happy

Weber One Touch Silver 57cm.
Weber Go Anywhere.
Inter-stellar UDS.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 08 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not big on MIG but probably running either a handler 187 or 210, correct me please if i am wrong but if bigpayne is using gas less flux core wire isn't that like running say a 7018 rod on stick,and if so i don't think it is gonna like that stainless, i just haven't seen any mention of gas on his rig unless i missed it.
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 08 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gasless fluxcore is a mild steel wire. It is designed to make entry level welders less expensive, because you dont need a bottle setup. We use Flux-core wire in the shop, but it requires a mix like C-25, Steelmix, or the oxygen mix mentioned. The flux-core we use is the same as a 7018 in tensile strength. Everyone hates it, because it is hot and bright to weld and smokes a lot. Plus you have to chip the slag like a stick rod. The gasless fluxcore will work, but it is hard to weld with as mentioned. If I were you, I would invest in a bottle setup and save a lot of money on the wire.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 08 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis, can you weld stainless to mild steel using a mild steel wire? I have with stick always gone the other way, using stainless rods to weld mild steel to stainless.
Big Tom
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 08 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can weld stainless to mild steel with mild steel wire.

I have not tried it with the gasless flux core. I have with the CO2 shielded flux core and with the tri-mix shielded mig wire.

The only negative is that the mild steel weld joint can rust/corrode and can lead to some corrosion on the stainless steel, if not protected from the elements by painting or seasoning.
bigpayne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 08 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks allot guys. I will weld it with the wire that I have and paint the ends but I think I will polish the stainles and let it shine.

Again THANKS very much for your help.

William Payne
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 08 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Big Tom for clearing that up for me, I have never used a MIG always stick. just wanted to know. bigpayne when we gonna see picks? Smile
bigpayne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 08 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pics of it and of the one that I'm copying.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14941
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: