FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting coals before adding to the cooker.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ohiogsp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02 08 7:43 am    Post subject: Starting coals before adding to the cooker. Reply with quote

When I built my new cooker I put a large charcoal starter on the front. I start my coals in there and let them all burn a while before adding them to the cooker. This burns all the blue smoke off the coals and eliminates the harsh smoke flavor the coals can add when put in the cooker when not lit. I was wondering how many other do this? Is this a common practice?
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02 08 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, blue smoke means full combustion of the wood/charcoal and is the goal, not the by-product.

I use a weed-burner to start my fire and wait for it to burn down/come to temp before adding meat, but I'm constantly heating more wood on the top of the firebox to speed combustion and keep blue smoke in the cook chamber.

White smoke means smoldering wood and can really add some bad flavors to your cook. If you're doing pork butts it can be pretty forgiving but ruin the hell out of a rack of ribs.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02 08 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with BigOrson, Weed burner to start then get up to temp then add my meat. My cooker is not the most fuel efficient so normally intermittently I am adding charcoal that I have started in my chimney. Timing is everything so they are ready when I need them I am getting pretty efficient at it.
bigwheel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02 08 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well about the only charcoal I ever thought it prudent to preburn is some of the real nasty stuff such as but not limited to Kingsford and below. Now with lump or any of it..think it safe to throw some meat on there once it starts burning clean. Works the same way with wood. Just fan the firebox door a few times when you add fuel. When it clears up and hits the temps you want start cooking. Hope this helps. Now if you preburn lump you will burn it all up and need mo. It dont work like briquettes.

bigwheel
MaxWell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02 08 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with both them, because if you pre-burn them then they will burn out to fast and may even run out of heat.

maxwell
ohiogsp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03 08 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am have been using kingsford cause lump is not real easy to get here but I might go get some for this weekend. This would explan why I have a problem with the nasty blue smoke I guess.
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04 08 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabela's carries Fire King lump, you're not too far from there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: