FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Newest BBQ Smoker Cooker Build

View previous topic :: View next topic  
icecoldkicks
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01 08 12:56 am    Post subject: My Newest BBQ Smoker Cooker Build Reply with quote

I just started this build Aug 30th, my B-Day

Enjoy the Pics.

more to come Later tonight or tomarrow

Thanks Friends for stopping through Wink

Just Click the pic.

Slow & Low, That is the Tempo!!
J0K3R-X
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01 08 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy late B-day! Man you really crankin these bad boys out! You gonna hook a stove up to this one or are you gonna go freestyle on this one? Wink
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01 08 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP, great start on your new cooker its coming along nicely. Very Happy
icecoldkicks
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01 08 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J0K3R-X wrote:
Happy late B-day! Man you really crankin these bad boys out! You gonna hook a stove up to this one or are you gonna go freestyle on this one? Wink

Hey, Thanks for stopping through J0K3R-X, Crankin them out is what I am trying to do Wink , LOL I quit my day job & spent all my savings on materials & tools to build BBQ Smokers full time, I eventually really want to be "that guy" in the Northwest when people talk about custom BBQ Smokers

It is interesting you ask if its gonna be another wood burning stove or is it gonna be a freestyle fire box!! Hmmmm! #$%*???
I was thinking about that today! I have a few really nice antique wood burning stoves that I am looking at on Craigslist that would be much more to my budget (free) or a C-note at most.

But, I have this 3/8" thick sheet of Plate 2'X6' that I was thinking about chopping up, but am limmited to a skill saw or grinder for making cuts, I am not good with my torch like that---> Laughing LOL!

Last build was tough just 1 week ago my Longevity Plasma cutter, Miller 180 mig welder Magnum Paintaint gun, 7" grinder & a 4 " grinder with drimal tool set all go out on me within a week last week WTF Rolling Eyes
I am shipping welder & plasma cutter to there respectful companies to excersize my warrenties!
Thats still 15 or 20 days out before I get my equipment back!Mad Shocked Question Question Confused LOL thank the LORD for Harbor Freight
I just bought a .035 mig welder for $200.00 to get me through this, tuff times at this point, but many future builds to come!!Embarassed

icecoldkicks
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01 08 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:

Thanks K.A.M. Your Kind like always, but things are gonna drasticly slow down, for I am having some tool problems, my plasma cutter & mig welder took a dump on me last week, sending em in for warrenty repairs Confused Shocked Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad

I am having precise cutting & chopping problems more then anything! I sure wish I could use a torch like you!! Wink I would be in business big time!!

J0K3R-X
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01 08 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's too bad that your havin all those problems with your equipment! You are very talented so hang in there and you will get through this setback! Seems like when ever I have ever tried to break away and do something on my own everything that can go wrong does. If you can make it past the first sh1t storm then things start to even out. When it rains it pours... Sad

I really want to get a plasma cutter! Did you get the .035 mig welder from Harbor Freight? I was looking at getting one of those, do you like it? Maybe a AC/DC 140 AMP Power ARC Welder would be better not sure!? I am gonna get me one though. My gas torch is for the birds! All of my tools are from Harbor Freight. I can get 4 or 5 tools like saws or angle grinder for the price of 1 DeWalt or what ever. It's the poor mans tool heaven! HomeDepot has that tool rental place inside, I think they have all of that stuff like welding equipment and plasma cutters etc. but I am not sure how much they cost to rent? What I ment by Freestyle is are you gonna fabricate a fire box from scratch? I guess now would be a good time to find another wood stove to use since most of your tools have taken a dump on ya.

Best of luck with your new business! Wink
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01 08 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icecoldkicks wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:

Thanks K.A.M. Your Kind like always, but things are gonna drasticly slow down, for I am having some tool problems, my plasma cutter & mig welder took a dump on me last week, sending em in for warrenty repairs Confused Shocked Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad

I am having precise cutting & chopping problems more then anything! I sure wish I could use a torch like you!! Wink I would be in business big time!!

JP, you cut very good with your plasma and if your free handing those cuts you can do the same with a torch. I dont know if you have a victor set up but if you do reduce the tip size down to a 0-1-101 that tip will go through 3/8 plate with about a 1/8'' kerf the key is to lean a little into your work to keep from melting back and the most important keep the tip clean with a little practice you will have a good backup to your plasma.
icecoldkicks
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01 08 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J0K3R-X wrote:
That's too bad that your havin all those problems with your equipment! You are very talented so hang in there and you will get through this setback! Seems like when ever I have ever tried to break away and do something on my own everything that can go wrong does. If you can make it past the first sh1t storm then things start to even out. When it rains it pours... Sad

I really want to get a plasma cutter! Did you get the .035 mig welder from Harbor Freight? I was looking at getting one of those, do you like it? Maybe a AC/DC 140 AMP Power ARC Welder would be better not sure!? I am gonna get me one though. My gas torch is for the birds! All of my tools are from Harbor Freight. I can get 4 or 5 tools like saws or angle grinder for the price of 1 DeWalt or what ever. It's the poor mans tool heaven! HomeDepot has that tool rental place inside, I think they have all of that stuff like welding equipment and plasma cutters etc. but I am not sure how much they cost to rent? What I ment by Freestyle is are you gonna fabricate a fire box from scratch? I guess now would be a good time to find another wood stove to use since most of your tools have taken a dump on ya.

Best of luck with your new business! Wink

Yeah, I was thinkn about that 3/8"X 2'X6' & creating a Box from scratch, but I am not sure yet, a grinder would kill me on the cuts, & I have no cutting torch skillz really, that 3/8" plate was gonna be tuning plates for this build originally,
I would like to build my own box, but if it ain't scrap, it can get expensive quick, tryin to keep the cost overrun on the low side

As for the little Mig welder I picked up at Harbor freight!

After 6 trips to the Hardware store for nic nac stuff for it--> hose, correct size fittings for the hose, wire spool, oops, the correct size spool 2Lbs. spools only LOL --> dink, dink, dink around, & fiddling around with it for
half the day, I would have to say, that little .023-.035 mig has become a Harbor Freight $200 Dream in my shop, blows clean perfect beeds, runs clean, do it with ur eyes closed! short chords everything LOL!
that little mig isn't bad at all for the price, all the welds on this currend build are from it!!!
Wink Kinda like, heres a shovel, can you dig it foo

Have a great day J0K3R-X
will be talkn atcha soon

icecoldkicks
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01 08 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
icecoldkicks wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:

JP, you cut very good with your plasma and if your free handing those cuts you can do the same with a torch. I dont know if you have a victor set up but if you do reduce the tip size down to a 0-1-101 that tip will go through 3/8 plate with about a 1/8'' kerf the key is to lean a little into your work to keep from melting back and the most important keep the tip clean with a little practice you will have a good backup to your plasma.

Hey K.A.M.
Good Day to you
I have Harris Gages & a Victor torch head,
I am gonna go play around with that torch
on some scrap in the shop today, I have cut plenty of things in the past, & have made some clean cutts. I just don't usually use it for that these days, gonna go see what I can get into in the shop playing around with the torch today!

Thanks for the extra tips
we will see if I can get the 24"circles cut with the torch today for the end caps on this smoker build,

pics to come LOL

Have a great day K.A.M. Cool

J0K3R-X
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02 08 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up on that Chicago Electric mig! I have been thinkin about getting one for a long time but I was kinda worried if it was any good. My other question is how is the duty cycle? I am gonna get me one for sure now. Plus I won't be using it near as much as you do so it should work out fine.
icecoldkicks
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J0K3R-X wrote:
Thanks for the heads up on that Chicago Electric mig! I have been thinkin about getting one for a long time but I was kinda worried if it was any good. My other question is how is the duty cycle? I am gonna get me one for sure now. Plus I won't be using it near as much as you do so it should work out fine.

Chicago Electric Mig Welder
Item # 94164
was $180.00 on Sale last week

=Welding current range : 35 up to 110 amp
=Input: Single Phase 220 V,60hz
=Duty Cycle: 15 % @ 110 amps, 28% @ 80 amps, 60% @ 55 amps 100% @ 35 amps
=Draws:24.5 amps @ 220 volts
=able to run: .023 & .035 steel & stainless steel
+Also runs .030 & .035 flux core & aluminum wire as well
it is set for flux core to start off, also comes with a 2lbs. spool of flux core .023 wire Wink

I hope this helps out a little, I personally don't like the flux core at all
Gas & Steel is what I like!

Have a great day J0K3R-X Cool

JP

Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm a builder here in the NW. i like it. keeps the shipping down and i could drive up and pick up the smoker. shoot me a pm about some prices.
icecoldkicks
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon smoker wrote:
hmmm a builder here in the NW. i like it. keeps the shipping down and i could drive up and pick up the smoker. shoot me a pm about some prices.

here are some pics of the last build, "The Kodiak"

I sprayed 3 Coats of 1200 degree Black Rust Olium BBQ Paint!
sry I don't have pics of the painted/ completed product, someone stole my damn camera while the truck was in front of the shop.

The guy was amazed & in Awhww when he saw it in person.
Pics are one thing, but seeing these things in person is a different story! Wink
enjoy the pics & will be sending you a PM tomarrow when I get to my shop. I'll send you my phone#, sizes, build times, etc.

here is a link to some pics of my last build, seasoning & 1st cook on it(The Kodiak),

just click the pic.

I had that Luxury of burning on the New Kodiak because it was a friend that was taking it off my hands! & he couldn't pick it up for a few days, I saw the opportunity arise to cook on it, & thats what I did

LOL thats what good friends are for Laughing

I love seasoning pitts!, its fun just starring at the thing just cookn away!

Thanks for stopping by
Northwestern Smoken Neighbor

Oregon Smoker!
Have a great evening

JP

BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work!

Your pics currently work about as well as your equipment! Crying or Very sad

Looks like it's time to upgrade some of that equipment. I'm a little surprised that the Miller took a dump so quickly. We used a Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter at my old day job, and it help up well. Pricey though....................

Once you get established, you should look into an advertisement here at the ring, and develop a web site to accompany.

Good luck with your business!
purplewg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J0K3R-X wrote:

My personal opinion is stay away from the China junk. I know two folks who bought them. One took it back. The other tossed it in a corner.

My recommendation is, if you can't afford a Miller at least get a Hobart. I had a Hobart 135 I was selling a while back for $300 but no takers so I took it to the farm to use on hay rings and stuff when the cows break them.

I also would not believe the spec's on these things. If you are not over 140 amps in a mig you won't get good penetration in 1/4 inch steel without pre-heating. I welded some 1/4 with the 135 and I was not happy with the penetration at all.

Maybe so others that do this for a living will pipe in.
HillbillySmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy B-day, just from looking at your pics i think you guys would be a fun crew to hang out with and drink a few beers, i wish you well in your new business.
icecoldkicks
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplewg wrote:
J0K3R-X wrote:

My personal opinion is stay away from the China junk. I know two folks who bought them. One took it back. The other tossed it in a corner.

My recommendation is, if you can't afford a Miller at least get a Hobart. I had a Hobart 135 I was selling a while back for $300 but no takers so I took it to the farm to use on hay rings and stuff when the cows break them.

I also would not believe the spec's on these things. If you are not over 140 amps in a mig you won't get good penetration in 1/4 inch steel without pre-heating. I welded some 1/4 with the 135 and I was not happy with the penetration at all.

Maybe so others that do this for a living will pipe in.

Yup Purple, I really had no choice, my Miller 180 will be fixed by the middle of Sept. I am just using the Chicago Electric to get by with till then, LOL I have a Miller 250 , but my shop is not wired for that yet.

My Plasma Cutter will be back mid Sept as well, till then, it is the hearing protection, skill saw, & grinders making the cutts that I need!! Rolling Eyes

Thanks for the heads up Purple, trust me, I want my cadilac equipment back. sure makes for more comfortable work!! Wink

just keep ur pics coming of your build, makes it all the better for me.

will be up n running again soon enough!!

Wink
JP

icecoldkicks
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HillbillySmoker wrote:
Happy B-day, just from looking at your pics i think you guys would be a fun crew to hang out with and drink a few beers, i wish you well in your new business.

38 years young!

Hey, Thanks HillbillySmoker, we try to have fun up here in the Northwest! ur ever out this way (Seattle), get with me for sure,
I am originally from Houston & all my family is down there as well, where abouts are you?? might be taking a trip South toTexas this Winter for a 1 or 2 week visit Cool

as for the small business, slowly but surly!!

Thanks Hillbilly

icecoldkicks
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQMAN wrote:
Nice work!

Your pics currently work about as well as your equipment! Crying or Very sad

Looks like it's time to upgrade some of that equipment. I'm a little surprised that the Miller took a dump so quickly. We used a Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter at my old day job, and it help up well. Pricey though....................

Once you get established, you should look into an advertisement here at the ring, and develop a web site to accompany.

Good luck with your business!

Hey BBQMan, How do I get a BBQ Super Hero Suit like that?? Nice Avater.

Yes I am gonna get a site here on the Ring, just wanted to get established on the Forum first, & get a few builds under my belt with pics.
then I will attack with a Ring Website!! Wink

as for the pics working as well as my equipment, if you missed the Slide show from/on photobucket here is a link to check out some pics of
"The Kodiak" my last finished product minus the paint job!!

just click the pic. & enjoy

Have a great day BBQMan

JP Cool

QObsession
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05 08 1:38 am    Post subject: Harbor frieght welder?? Reply with quote

Purple
Would your friend be willing to sell the Harbor freight welder he through in the corner? I have been looking for couple of those to play around with.
One working unit and one for spare type thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: