FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thanksgiving help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Other Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kilroy76

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27 08 1:46 am    Post subject: Thanksgiving help Reply with quote

Reposted from intro section...

The girlfriend and I are having a turkey contest on Thanksgiving. She'll be baking one in the oven (ptthh) and I'll be smoking one (yay!). I'll be using cherry wood and lump charcoal, unless you think it'd be better to stick with only cherry wood. I've done turkeys before and usually cook them at about 225-250, and I love the smoke flavor and the way the turkey stays moist. They always come out better than any oven-baked turkey on earth. Except for the skin...

I've seen that poultry skin seems to be the bane of a lot of smoker afficionados. The solution seems to be either increasing the heat, which I don't really want to do, or placing the bird over hot coals afterwards to crisp it, which makes me afraid of overcooking it. I appreciate any comments on this, and the charcoal/wood matter.

Thanks for your help. I want (need) this to be the greatest turkey that has ever graced a Thanksgiving table.
Mike Lawry
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27 08 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cherry wood + Cajun rub will beat her if smoked at oven temps 325-350 in my opinion.

But,

If you put a smoked or baked turkey along side of a deep fried turkey.

The deep fried turkey will be the 1st gone of the 3.

Mike Lawry.
1MoreFord
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28 08 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to smoke - definitely smoke Hot. Like Mike said, 325-350. Brine, or (dare I say) use a "Butterball" type solution added bird. My next one will have a Cajun butter injection as well. Apply a thin coating of veggie oil to the skin - and some seasoning if you want. Absolutely NO sugar in the seasoning at those temps. Be careful of other spices that could burn too.

Deep fried is excellent as well. Both are far better than the usual oven bird.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Other Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: