FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spoiled Ribs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burbs
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18 08 8:32 pm    Post subject: Spoiled Ribs? Reply with quote

I picked up a couple racks of ribs back on 12/6 from my butcher and they were vacuum sealed direct from the company he buys them through. He said as long as they are refrigerated, they should be good.

This morning, I took them out, so I could cut them in half and cut the membranes off. I was overwhelmed with a smell, that I've never smelled on ribs before. My wife said that it was just the meat smell and that it wasn't a rotting smell. I'm thinking that since they were sealed, that the smell of meat, bone, blood is just emitting from them normally. I never smelled this when I bought them from the case, which is making me wonder. Then again, they were probably sitting there for a couple hours.

Could these be spoiled or am I right about the smells first emitting because they just came out of the sealed packaging?

Thanks,

Chris

Weber Green One-Touch Gold
Pro Q Frontier Smoker
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18 08 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, I am sure some others will be along in a bit but this is my thinking as a general rule pork does not have a smell. My rule is if I smell an off smell it goes back to the store I bought it from. Chicken ok I know the smells Beef also. I thawed out some spares that had been partially thawed then refroze when Mrs. K.A.M. opened the pack it had an off smell they went in the trash, this just my take on pork others may have some more input.
Rojellio Es Caliente
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18 08 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should take 4-6 hours for Ribs to have an overwhelming smell.... and that smell should be on the opposite end of the spectrum. Overwhelmingly good.

When in doubt, throw it out. Its going to nag you for the entire burn. You are going to be a nervous wreck only a couple hours into it, with 4 more to go.
StarsandStripes
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18 08 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will not tell you your ribs are still good. There's no way I could ever tell. But I've never enjoyed the smell of ribs during prep. I think they always smell badly...like the flesh of an animal that's still sitting in its own blood is supposed to smell, I reckon.

I cooked 35 racks of spares last week. About midnight I had a ~120 lbs mountain lion watching me and my ribs. I guess she liked the smell as well.
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18 08 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a pack of ribs, butts or anything else that has an "off odor", try rinsing with cool running water and kind of wipeing them as you do then pat dry. This will usually take care of any "off odor".

If rinsing does not take the odor away, THEN I would not use.
mutha chicken bbq
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18 08 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marvsbbq wrote:
If you get a pack of ribs, butts or anything else that has an "off odor", try rinsing with cool running water and kind of wipeing them as you do then pat dry. This will usually take care of any "off odor".

If rinsing does not take the odor away, THEN I would not use.

This does happen quite frequently, When buying in bulk, the cases will have more blood in the pack than normally if purchased by the rack. MOST of the time, That is the smell that you are smelling. If after rinsing, Like Marv said. And the smell is still present, Toss it.

KCBS CBJ
www.galvinell.com
www.realdealbbq.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUcTvhyof8I&feature=related
somegeek
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19 08 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to know that the fluid in the bag can hold an odor while the meat can still be good.

I've had great luck with pork so far. I have purchased chicken wings that were not right. Opened a pack and they smelled like rotten eggs. Talk about a buzz kill after looking forward to some hot wings.
davejschultz
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19 08 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your ribs are rancid. Seal in 3 layers of poly and toss. I ran into this last year buying a rack of BB's at Wally World that were marked down because they were expiring on the day I purchased. When I opened the vac pack at home to rince and rub, the smell filled my 2 story home top to bottow. It was the worst smell ever. Took 2 days of major candle burning to get rid of the smell.

Called the store, and the manager refunded and made sure to pull all the racks with the same date on them.

I agree with the above poster - your pork should have very little, if any smell when fresh.

Char-Griller Trio 3030 / Masterbuilt 30 Electric / Webber One Touch Gold / Small BGE
Toga
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19 08 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a general rule if it smells bad I don't chance it. Fresh pork should have very little smell to no smell at all. If it smells bad chances are it is bad. Fresh pork will also get a bit slimy as well when it goes bad. I wuld pitch it and grab yourself something fresh to cook. Food poisoning is not fun.
tinovr
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19 08 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, care to name names? always good to know where to go and where to avoid?
NCBBQFAN
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19 08 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If in doughty through it out. Better eat the price of the ribs, than eat bad meat that gives you more that you bargained for.
Burbs
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19 08 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinovr wrote:

Actually, I got them at Bob's Market in North Attleboro, and I went to see him today and told him what happened. He felt really bad about it, and said "I'm the one who told you they would be ok sitting in the fridge." He immediately, pulled out two full racks, cut the membranes off, and cut them in half, packaged them and handed them over and said "this is on me for my mistake." This is why I go to an "old school" butcher, because of customer service. In all honesty, he didn't have to do that, because of what happened. He was dumbfounded and almost embarrassed, but I told him no worries.

I have nothing but great things to say about them, and I highly recommend, for those of you local, to get your meat from him. I'll never get meat anywhere else, because these independent "ma & pa" shops started this country, and I'd rather give them the money, than the large national stores.

I just ordered a 3lb pork butt for my smoke on Sunday from them. That should be a fun one.

-Chris

Pro Q Frontier Smoker
pacanis
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19 08 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run into this all the time at my small town grocery, with all kinds of meats. Chuck 'em. Right back where you gottem. They were not stored correctly somewhere in the chain. IMO, properly refrigerated blood doesn't have a smell either.
Shaymus
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19 08 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burbs wrote:
tinovr wrote:

Actually, I got them at Bob's Market in North Attleboro, and I went to see him today and told him what happened. He felt really bad about it, and said "I'm the one who told you they would be ok sitting in the fridge." He immediately, pulled out two full racks, cut the membranes off, and cut them in half, packaged them and handed them over and said "this is on me for my mistake." This is why I go to an "old school" butcher, because of customer service. In all honesty, he didn't have to do that, because of what happened. He was dumbfounded and almost embarrassed, but I told him no worries.

I have nothing but great things to say about them, and I highly recommend, for those of you local, to get your meat from him. I'll never get meat anywhere else, because these independent "ma & pa" shops started this country, and I'd rather give them the money, than the large national stores.

I just ordered a 3lb pork butt for my smoke on Sunday from them. That should be a fun one.

-Chris
My local butcher would have done the same. I get alot from him except Babyback ribs ( the ribs he gets are from Poland and don't have much meat on them). He's great besides that.
tinovr
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19 08 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that place.. where in N.A?

I like Chartley Store and Fresh Catch, but they can't beat BJ's prices.. $5 vs $3.50/lb for BBs.. and $2 vs $1.19 for bone-in butts.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19 08 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they were purchased on the 6th, and 12 days of sitting in a fridge I would also agree that the meat is bad.

At first I was thinking the blood was just getting a funky smell which is common with vac-packed meats. Until you mentioned the purchase date.

What is it with pork getting funky so quick when beef doesn't even start to become edible until it has at least 21 days of age from slaughter.

I do nt accept anything less than 21 days of age at the restaurant, and I like to keep it for at least another week or two before serving it.

But pork & chicken enter the funk zone in a hurry.

I am glad the butcher honored the return, it was kinda goofy for him to tell you they would be fine for extended periods.

I am surprised the packaging didn't start to swell from the funk.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19 08 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with Harry (and the others that reccomended tossing).

I have gotten ribs with a slight off odor from blood etc, but funky out of date ribs go in the trash.

Next time freeze after you purchase if they need to sit that long until cooking.

Cryovac meats freeze well.
Burbs
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21 08 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I learned my lesson, and again, I'm not pissed at this guy either. Common sense, which I lack on certain things, says to freeze everything.

I just picked up a 4lb pork butt for tomorrow from him. This should be interesting with the snow! Rolling Eyes

Pro Q Frontier Smoker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: