FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Turkey on a traeger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Other Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hookncook

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24 08 5:32 am    Post subject: Turkey on a traeger Reply with quote

Does anyone have any idea how long it would take to cook a 20# bird on a traeger? Also, has anyone ever tried to smoke a turkey in a roasting pan(for the drippings) or is that just a dumb idea?
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24 08 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use a roasting pan just put a cooling rack or something in there to keep the turkey up off the bottom. That way the smoke/air can get all around it and it's not laying in a vat of juice screwing up the skin.
Rojellio Es Caliente
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25 08 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a drip pan on the drain plate thingie. {I had it there so I could put some apple juice in it during the last couple hours, then I sort of tented the bird with foil.} You could suck the drippings out with a baster thingie. I plan on doing this, and then let some apple juice steam for a while after drippings are collected.

I would plan a good 8 hours, you can always crank up the heat towards the end... or crank it down all the way to smoke if it gets to done temp too early, just to keep it warm.

When I did my Thanksgiving bird... I dont know what gave me the idea... but I had the thermostat set at 300. The bird went in around 7:00am, about 10:30 I was only 20 degrees away from "critical mass" {165} I anticipated an arrival time of noon if I didn't back the temp way off.... dinner was at 5pm. A ham and roast were in there too after about 8 or 9.

Maybe the Traeger cookbook that came with the unit, or thier site has advice also.

Exclamation Dont forget... after the meat is pulled, set the temp to smoke and put your pies in there to warm up and collect smoke flavor. You can also cook pie in the traeger.... but I wouldnt waste/consume the pellets. It is just as well to warm them up on a low setting, and uses less fuel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Other Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: