FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Searing directly on lump charcoal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loomis1228
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17 06 10:17 pm    Post subject: Searing directly on lump charcoal Reply with quote

Has anyone seen the Good Eats episode where AB takes a flank steak and sears it literally on the coals? Has anyone ever tried this?
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18 06 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen it.........and I think someone from this site said they tried it. I haven't......
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18 06 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ther Loomis, I asked this question a while back. Here is the thread. I think the question gets answered but I never did try it.Smile

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1112&highlight=

GIANT BBQ
loomis1228
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18 06 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, Zilla. I can't imagine doing it. I just wanted to see if anyone thought that was a silly as I did!
Zilla--I always enjoy reading your posts. Send me some pictures to look at. I am bored at work and I need something to drool over!
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18 06 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of pics in here to see. Have a great weekend. Z

http://www.kodakgallery.com/photozilla

GIANT BBQ
loomis1228
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18 06 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Zilla--did you find that the stuffed tenderloin just tasted like smoke tenderloin and the stuff in the middle really didn't add too much to it? When I did it, I only used one layer of stuff. I am going to double up next time. I think that I am actually going to use good KY or VA country ham. The procuitto I used was worthless. Some junk I bought at Sam's. It actually said on the package--"Product of Germany."
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18 06 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have to say that when I do it again I'm going to use some more potent ingredients. The provolone and spinach sounds good but was bland. Some good ham and maybe gorgonzola cheese and some fresh herbs and minced chili's and garlic with the spinich and maybe a mustard slather on the outside might do it. The inside didn't have much smoke flavor as we really tied them up tight. They were OK I got the loins for $5.00 each from a friend of mine who cuts meat at a grocery store.

GIANT BBQ
bbqblue
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24 06 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right - bland is the enemy. I can't get a smoke taste as I can only cook pizzas in my gas griller. But it works okay because I have a thick stainless steel solid plate and it acts a bit like the base of a commercial pizza oven.

I can only add smoke flavour via the meat - and one of our favourite pizzas is smoked lamb (from my ECB) with black olives, semi-dried tomatoes, fresh rosemary and fetta cheese.

I found my main problem was with bland cheese. That's why I now use a cheese mix made up of 1/3 mozzarella, 1/3 aged cheddar and 1/3 grated parmesan or romano to give a bit of bite. Liberal use of garlic and anchovies also helps - but only if you like them Very Happy .
bbqblue
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24 06 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I completely misread your post I thought you were talking about pizza not tenderloin. My apologies Embarassed .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Grilling All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: