FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how old is your weber kettle
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jujuboy77
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 26 09 1:20 am    Post subject: how old is your weber kettle Reply with quote

my kettle died last night i shook it to spead the coals around and the back leg fell off! Shocked Shocked this kettle was a hand me down and was so old that im not even sure how long i have had it, at least 7-8 years.
just currious how long do the kettles usually last? i am considering a new performer but at least a gold 22.5, this sucks though because i have been saving for a new shotgun, now i gotta buy a grill!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue May 26 09 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jujuboy77, I have had mine for close to six years, I am on my second grate, but the body is still solid. Hey its not a total loss look at it as a future UDS build in the making Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
T00lman
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 26 09 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 1/2 yrs been through a couple of grates paints chipped up a bit but works like the day I brought it home
#37 liar
1 wsm 18 1/2
1wsm 22 1/2
Tarpon65

PostPosted: Tue May 26 09 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around 11 years old. I've had to replace the handles and I dropped the top around a year ago and it does not seal up as well as it once did, but still use it a minimum of 2-3 times per week.
BabyHuey
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 26 09 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been wondering the same thing!!....I was just telling someone today I have had the kettle I am cooking on for 16 years, still same grates, in fact I haven't done anything to it. It will need a grate very shortly and the wood handle has come off.

Link to my pit build slideshow:

http://s333.photobucket.com/albums/m398/LilBabyHuey/?action=view¤t=4675c7d7.pbw
Hell Fire Grill
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 26 09 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My oldest is a modle "C" made in 1981. I got it used in 1995. I just cooked on it about a month ago before I cut the handles off the kettle to make it into a UDS. It was all rusted out where the legs attach to it and would have imploded onto itself without some serious repairs soon Im sure. Well as it turns out the kettle dident fit the barrel and I cut the handles off for nothing. Man I feel like I cut my best friends legs off and now I feel like a real A$$HOLE. That Ol kettle went to alot of partys with me. Now I think Im gonna have to weld the handles back on and reattach the legs so we can party some more. It will live to grill again as soon as I get some more sheilding gas for my welder. 28 years old and still grillin.

azkitch

PostPosted: Tue May 26 09 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a thread, maybe here, describing the date codes on the vent. I bought an F model--1984 I think--for $10 a few months ago. Things in great shape, except of course for the handles, which are more serviceable than the ones on my Brink SnP. I'm going to soon build a UDS, and I hope the lid will fit, whereupon I'll use the grate and lid "on-loan". Man I've missed my Weber Kettles. I had a Cobalt Blue one years ago. I don't even know what happend to that one. I think I lost it in the divorce. Along with my best friend. She has since divorced him, too. Grass must not have been as green as she thought...Then I had a beat up red one that wound up as fodder for the curb carp--they scrounge thru piles during bulk pickup weeks. Basic black from now on!
dk
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue May 26 09 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

old as $hit is my guess it, needs a new charcoal grate. it looks older than the ones pictured. it sits out in the weather and is always ready to go. it was a "take me" Q at my last single guy rental house that i lived in. so i have been cooking on it for 10 years.
JamesB
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 26 09 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have the kettle that we bought Dad over 30 years ago... The legs fell of several years ago, and it now sits on two old stacked wire milk crates. It was our camping kettle for years and it even saw use as a place to burn wood to coals when I build my first upright barrel pit years ago. The bottom vents have also fallen off, but I just can't seem to let it go to the land fill... Still sees use from time to time for steaks and such.
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 27 09 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eleven years old. Have replaced the bottom grate and lower dampers. Probably need to replace the ash container assembly.

Livin' in fear is just another way of dyin' before your time.
murf

PostPosted: Wed May 27 09 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have had mine for over 20 years. Have not used it in years since I got my large egg. No comparison.
Mike Lawry
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 28 09 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im on my 2nd Weber Kettle.

The 1st one lasted 13 years then the legs fell off.

Im on my 2nd year on the new one.

Both grills just stayed outside uncovered.

Mike Lawry.
jd of de

PostPosted: Thu May 28 09 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 18-1/2" Weber Kettle was purchased in the spring of 1976. Both grates and the ash catcher have been replaced several times, but it's still perfect for a couple of burgers.

18-1/2" Weber Kettle
22-1/2" Weber Gold One-Touch
18-1/2" Weber Smoking Mountain
Weber Genesis Gold "B"
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu May 28 09 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first was actually a grill that both myself and my sister owned for a while after dad got a new one. Probably over 15 years of use, abuse, and a few moves.

My 2nd I purchased shortly after bootcamp and tech school in 1981. That one lasted until the legs rotted off and the fire bowl started to pit through right around 1998.

My third has been going strong since. The wood handles are rotting off, and I just recently replaced the ash sweeper and flip up grill grate. Looks like it's got 10 years or so left of good cooking.

Doesn't get used that often anymore. Crying or Very sad
Michael B
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 28 09 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like there are still a lot of the old stile kettles being used. I wish Weber still made them.
Unfortunately, I gave my last GOOD kettle away when I picked up a One-Touch® Performer®. I gave the Performer® away when I figured out I do NOT like the One-Touch® feature.
I've been using a Kingsford grill (Patio Classic 3500) since Sep. 2006 that I like a lot.
smoken yankee

PostPosted: Thu May 28 09 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just replaced my(weber) kettle last year, it was given to me back in 1986 and I know my father in law had bought it in 1976, so you can figure it had lasted me over 30 years, I know he stored it in the garage while it wasn't be used, but when I got it, it staided outside. I bought another weber one-touch and love it.
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 28 09 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael B wrote:
I wish Weber still made them.

In fact they do. Whatever gave you that idea Question

http://www.weber.com/grills/default.aspx?glid=5&mid=21

“The Bride of Franken Smoker”
jrb03
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 29 09 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael B wrote:
It looks like there are still a lot of the old stile kettles being used. I wish Weber still made them.
Unfortunately, I gave my last GOOD kettle away when I picked up a One-Touch® Performer®. I gave the Performer® away when I figured out I do NOT like the One-Touch® feature.
I've been using a Kingsford grill (Patio Classic 3500) since Sep. 2006 that I like a lot.

Rolling Eyes
Weber Performer - Blue
WSM
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 29 09 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

azkitch wrote:
I found a thread, maybe here, describing the date codes on the vent. I bought an F model--1984 I think--for $10 a few months ago. Things in great shape, except of course for the handles, which are more serviceable than the ones on my Brink SnP. I'm going to soon build a UDS, and I hope the lid will fit, whereupon I'll use the grate and lid "on-loan". Man I've missed my Weber Kettles. I had a Cobalt Blue one years ago. I don't even know what happend to that one. I think I lost it in the divorce. Along with my best friend. She has since divorced him, too. Grass must not have been as green as she thought...Then I had a beat up red one that wound up as fodder for the curb carp--they scrounge thru piles during bulk pickup weeks. Basic black from now on!
dk

do you have the link or thread?I'd Like to see how long I've had mine seems like the 80's but with my life could of been just a couple of years.
Michael B
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 31 09 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teleking wrote:
Michael B wrote:
I wish Weber still made them.

In fact they do. Whatever gave you that idea Question

http://www.weber.com/grills/default.aspx?glid=5&mid=21

Weber now makes kettles with the One-Touch® damper system, which I don't care for. I can pick these up at the dump just about any day of the week for nothing, but don't.
I liked the old kettles with the three daisy wheel dampers very much.
If Weber still made the daisy wheel kettles, that is the one I would buy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: