FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How long would you....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hsb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02 09 10:04 am    Post subject: How long would you.... Reply with quote

Leave butter out and still use it. I know when baking, it can be softened for a few hours at room temp, but would you use it much beyond that, if it sat out at room temp?

Oh this is coming from a buddy of mine, my butter stays in the fridge.
morick
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02 09 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another question to ponder on, the amish dont have a refrigerator so where do they keep the eggs? BTW they also use butter
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02 09 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butter is a highly shelf-stable product. The higher the butterfat content, the more stable the product is. And then we usually use "salted butter" and that makes it even more stable.

At normal household living temperatures , I would bet 3 weeks sitting unrefrigerated would cause no quality differences at all. if the butter is left open without anything seperating it from the environment, it will pick up foregn materials in the air and it can cause an off-flavor. Higher humidity will also lessen the amount of time before it starts to break (butterfat seperating from the water in it) but it will not go rancid in as little as a few weeks.

If a 1/4lb of butter lasts longer than a week, you just are not eating right IMO.

Lard is also held at room temperature with no rancidity issues at all.
hsb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02 09 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus with the added preservatives that are in the butter I guess it wouldnt go bad. For me, its more of the idea of leaving a dairy product out, very good points have been made. Another thing is it makes it easier to spread when at room temp instead of refrig. cold.

Alas for me, butter is a treat, my wife buys the margarine in the tub and I every once in a while sneak the butter into the house.

Thanks guys, now back to our smoke and pork.
Thumper
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02 09 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morick wrote:
another question to ponder on, the amish dont have a refrigerator so where do they keep the eggs? BTW they also use butter

My guess is that they keep the eggs in the chickens, until they lay. Then they eat them.
r6abusa
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03 09 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumper wrote:
morick wrote:

My guess is that they keep the eggs in the chickens, until they lay. Then they eat them.

And the butter is made dailey.
morick
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03 09 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumper wrote:
morick wrote:

lol
morick
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03 09 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r6abusa wrote:
Thumper wrote:
morick wrote:

And the butter is made dailey.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03 09 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up with the butter being left out in the bread box in a covered butter dish, my mom still does this to this day. We also had a bowl on the top of the stove that all the bacon drippings went in and it was used for frying/ sauteing as oil was not used for anything but baking. Nothing like eggs fried in bacon fat.... No one got sick ever. My dad would slather a couple slices of bread with bacon fat and fry them in the cast iron for his toast for Saturday and Sunday breakfast.

In our house butter did not last long enough to go bad sitting out.
LIAR #100
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03 09 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The butter dish on the counter allways has a stick of butter in it ,it sits out a few days easy at room temp,when its used up we wash the dish and throw a new stick in,never got sick from it yet. Very Happy
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
Toga
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04 09 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We always keep a stick of butter in our butter dish on the counter as well. I have eaten butter from a butter dish left on the counter my whole life and it never made me sick. I can only think of one time I thought it went bad but that was after it sat a couple of weeks in a house that was closed up while we were out of town on vacation.

We have to replace the stick in the dish about every 5 days or so. The butter dish stick is used pretty much exclusively for toast and frozen waffles.

UDS
ECB x2
Gasser
murf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04 09 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My butter has always sat out on the counter for the last 60 years. Never has made anyone sick.

As far as eggs go people that take their sailboats on around the world cruises rub their eggs with olive oil and put them in the cupboard. They will last for a year because they are sealed with the oil.
Wild West BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08 09 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lard's good forever and it's always at room temp. Butter must just get better with age. The amish churn there own but don't be fooled they have a generator fired by propane and they keep the butter, cheese and meat refrigerated.
bigdad
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08 09 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morick wrote:

The Amish do have refeigertors. They are propane. Here is the first one on the google search. http://www.propanerefrigerators.com/
Kteedid63
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08 09 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lard is not good forever. It will turn rancid. Becareful with it.

TomCat BBQ team
SoCalBBQ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15 09 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda makes sense to leave butter out since it would be hard to spread cold. I've had buttercream icing on a cake left out for a 3 days in a cake protector. Maybe all the sugar in the frosting acted as a preservative because it tasted good from the first day out to the last day eaten. No one got sick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: