FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grilled Sweet Corn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07 05 11:35 am    Post subject: Grilled Sweet Corn Reply with quote

Have ya tried it yet? i grilled some over the 4th. Sure was good. All i did was place a doz. ears in water for about 2 hours. Shook off excess water placed them on the weber kettle over direct heat for 45 minutes to an hour. Husk and silk came off clean to serve. Big ole` gob of butter, a little salt an pepper, like i said sure was good, easy to do also.
str8smokin
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10 05 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love grilling sweet corn. I do it almost every time I grill. I shuck 'em, spread on some butter and a bit of salt and pepper and toss 'em right on the grill. About 2 minutes per side over high heat and they come out great.
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10 05 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull back the husks and "make a handle out of them". Take off silk

Paint with oil (olive). Grill. Turn with husks that are hanging outside the heat.

Remove and roll in mexican cheese, chopped cilantro, salt, pepper.

Serve. Mmmmmmmmmm

Could probably just grill, butter, salt, etc and be good too.
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11 05 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do it all the time but wrap them in one layer of foil and putem in the coals. Then the foil makes a cooler handle than just the husk!

zilla
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13 05 2:40 am    Post subject: Canned Corn? Reply with quote

Make you own corn cooker the New Mexico way…… First drink a 16oz tall boy, Cut the can top off and drop you corn in the can. Next, stick it close to the coals and open up another beer. This process normally works for only six guests. After that, I normally forget that I put the corn in the coals until after I wake up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13 05 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun alien but i had to give up the tall boys, i would usually break out in a rash of self will. Funny story thought one time me and the "tall boys" went out on the town hoppin from joint to joint and well we ended up in the middle of a corn field the next bright and sunny morning having no memory of how the hell we got there. The corn was so tall the only way i got out was to sig-zag my way back out in reverse. I`ll bet that farmer had a hell of a time come harvest time with all those funny tracks all over his field. Embarassed Anyways have a couple of ears for me will ya.
(SIC) BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29 05 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dehusk the corn; lay it right on the grill and baste with melted butter, salt, and pepper everytime I roll it. Only takes about 15-20 mins and you don't need to roll it in butter afterwards. Never dry and always tasty.

Jason

[Sci]ence + A[r]t = (SIC) BBQ
ChiefAutoParts

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31 05 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Grilled Sweet Corn Reply with quote

Jeff T wrote:
Have ya tried it yet? i grilled some over the 4th. Sure was good. All i did was place a doz. ears in water for about 2 hours. Shook off excess water placed them on the weber kettle over direct heat for 45 minutes to an hour. Husk and silk came off clean to serve. Big ole` gob of butter, a little salt an pepper, like i said sure was good, easy to do also.

What does soaking the ears in water do for ya?
I haven't tried soaking the ears on water, but I usually just peel back the husks and remove the silk, rub the corn with limes, replace the husks and grill. Then I squeeze more lime on the corn and slather with butter and cajun seasoning. MMMM, MMM, good!!!
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31 05 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does soaking the ears in water do for ya?

I was told that this sort of steams them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24 05 12:18 am    Post subject: Steam Reply with quote

I do the water thing here.

I got turned onto this at a road side farmers market. I soak the corn for two hours husk on. I then grill for roughly 45 minutes. The water steams the insides. If the corn is cooking too fast just dunk it in water to cool off (this also gives it another burst of steam).

No other way to cook corn on the grill IMHO.

Take care,

Brian
Florida Farmer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06 06 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try soaking them in SALTY water.
MacMitch
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24 06 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to: pull back the husks, remove the silks, put a little butter, salt, pepper on the corn, pull husks back over corn, wrap lightly in tin foil & bake over coals, in the oven or in the smoker. The husks give the corn moisture and a different flavor that I much prefer. Soaking the ears in water adds even more moisture.
MaineMapleDave
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06 06 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just thrown them on the grill unshucked jwithout any fanfare, and tried soaking them. Soaked and unshucked, they end up very much like steamed. Grilled in the husks, they get kind of a nice caremelization from the inevitable spots that cook beyond being steamed. Way yummy.
Cameron's Stovetop Smoker
See the pix at:
http://flickr.com/photos/21065315@N05/sets/72157603328370636/
JamesB
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06 06 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do the soak thing... salted water for a an hour or two and then pile them up on a hot spot in the smoker for an hour or so... When deemed done, peel back the husks, the silk will remove very easily now just a swipe from a gloved hand or a paper towel and the silk is gone... dunk in butter and season to taste. The best way to fix corn on the cob IMO...

James.
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06 06 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man we sure need some moisture around here, been a dry winter. Hopefully this spring will be wetter. Need it for the sweet corn or i won`t get any good corn on the cob.
Sounds good guys.
Porterfield

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24 06 4:28 am    Post subject: Basil oil dippin Reply with quote

in a blender try 3 large handfulls of fresh basil 1tsp or so kosher enough oliveoil to make a 'thick like melted butter" sauce . dip or brush on and let youe eyes roll back in your head.
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24 06 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesB wrote:
We do the soak thing... salted water for a an hour or two and then pile them up on a hot spot in the smoker for an hour or so... When deemed done, peel back the husks, the silk will remove very easily now just a swipe from a gloved hand or a paper towel and the silk is gone... dunk in butter and season to taste. The best way to fix corn on the cob IMO... James.

I tried it this way. Just used season salt and no butter on the corn and it was great.

This is too easy and fool proof. Plus you can cook a bunch of corn this way. I won't ever boil it again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Grilling All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: