FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

plasma cutters
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HillbillySmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Aug 15 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

BabyHuey wrote:
mtrammel - Why is it the UPS guy always show up at 2:00 in the afternoon when he's delivering stuff you could care less about, but when a new tool is coming they show up at 7:00 at night

Sounds like the same guy that delivers to me Laughing
mtrammel
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Aug 16 2009    Post subject: final thoughts Reply with quote

Here's the review...
Got to use the toy today. Going to take some practice to get used to it...not the steadiest hand yet. That said, here are some of the first cuts... (yep, need one of those cool compass do-hickies.)

I was curious how far it would cut, so opened the amps all the way and placed the tip on the top of this tube and cut down. Its only using 110v so it could do better. Maybe cant tell from the camera angle, but its a notch shy of 1/2 inch. Unit is rated at 1/2 inch but I'm sure thats at 220.

Not too shabby I guess.
All told, for my purpose as a hobbyist, I think I'm happy with this unit. Until it grows up to be a miller...at least its Blue.
UDS
mtrammel
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Aug 16 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS...again, sorry if I've hi-jacked ...
So with the plasma cutter ground and torch and the mig welding machine ground and gun, plus power cords and air hoses, grinder, chop saw, compressor, circle saw power cords etc, the garage, uh, I mean "shop" had become a disaster zone and was getting dangerous to human and gear.
So if you go this route, this has helped with the clutter. Apologize again if this is TMI. And I'm a dumb rookie so maybe everyone figures this out.
Turned the welding cart into a double decker...almost, still have to cut the sheet and tack it down, but thats tomorrow...ran outta time today.

UDS
HillbillySmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Aug 17 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have not bought one yet these are made in Canada and have great warranties, and a real good price. can find them on Ebay as well.

I'm looking at getting the Mosfet Cut50.

http://www.everlastgenerators.com/

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=everlast+plasma+cutter&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=f2iISqz7D5SNtgf_vtjnDA&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4#
openwheel

I have to agree Hypertherm is the way to go. I have a tool & die fabbrication shop. We use the Hypertherm but one thing you must do is have a dry air supply or you will blow the tips out. It has cut down on the build time on my cooker.

Mark Bell
Bell Machine & Fabrication, Inc.
smokin ernie
BBQ Fan

mtrammel
congrads on the cutter. It looks to be a nice machine. Thanks for the update and glad you are happy with it.
purplewg
BBQ Super Pro

mtrammel, congrats on your new toy. Keep us posted as you learn more about it and do more with it.

I have about settled on the Miller 625 X-treme. More money than I wanted to spend for one but I think the quality if far superior than most IMHO. I have Hobart stuff sitting in the corner because it pi$$ed me off and I went and bought Miller. Great equipment.

I look at the link Hillbilly posted on the everlast. They seem like good machines but I have been fooled by specs before.

Don't squat with your spurs on.........
HillbillySmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Aug 18 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplewg wrote:
I looked at the link Hillbilly posted on the everlast. They seem like good machines but I have been fooled by specs before.

What sold me on it was the 5 year warranty, that kind of warranty is unheard of, ive checked out some reviews and people seem really happy with them, so im gonna get one and ill let yah know.
purplewg
BBQ Super Pro

Oh boy this will become the plasma review thread. Laughing Thanks to smokin ernie for starting it.

mtrammel
BBQ Super Fan

You guys that own plasma cutters....how do you know your consumables are spent? Mine are becoming discolored but the unit is still cutting fine. When do you change the parts out?
UDS
HillbillySmoker
BBQ Pro

Using severely worn consumables can lead to uncontrolled arcing in the plasma chamber, which can cause torch failure.

What are the signs of spent consumables? Often, deteriorating cut quality is the first sign of worn parts. Visual inspection is important as well. If a nozzle shows signs of oxide residue on the inside, or if signs of gouging exist on the inside or outside of the nozzle, it should be replaced.

To tell whether an electrode is spent, check the pitting of the electrode element. Depending on the gas being used, the pitting should not be deeper than 3/32 inch for oxygen or air or 1/8 inch for argon or nitrogen. If the pits are deeper than these guidelines, it is time to change the electrode.

Finally, if an examination of the gas swirlers reveals cracks, arc burns, or dirt or grease in the holes, the swirlers should be changed.

gotta love google. Very Happy
mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

Yeah, what Hillbilly said before I hit submit but here's my 2cents

mtrammel, many torches come with an "actual size" reference picture in the instructions or on the consumables storage box to show when the electrode is getting too short. You did read all of the instructions and accompanying paperwork, Right? Very Happy Shocked

As far as nozzles go, once the cut starts to bevel or the hole in the end of the nozzle gets too big or out of round, or anything starts to look, feel or sound out of the ordinary.

Using a plasma cutter with overworn consumables is hard on the machine in genral.
mtrammel
BBQ Super Fan

Instructions?...I thought that was packing materials.
UDS
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

HillbillySmoker wrote:
Using severely worn consumables can lead to uncontrolled arcing in the plasma chamber, which can cause torch failure.

What are the signs of spent consumables? Often, deteriorating cut quality is the first sign of worn parts. Visual inspection is important as well. If a nozzle shows signs of oxide residue on the inside, or if signs of gouging exist on the inside or outside of the nozzle, it should be replaced.

To tell whether an electrode is spent, check the pitting of the electrode element. Depending on the gas being used, the pitting should not be deeper than 3/32 inch for oxygen or air or 1/8 inch for argon or nitrogen. If the pits are deeper than these guidelines, it is time to change the electrode.

Finally, if an examination of the gas swirlers reveals cracks, arc burns, or dirt or grease in the holes, the swirlers should be changed.

gotta love google. Very Happy

Just a few more reasons why I will stay with my O/A setup Wink

Hybrid Cooker
smokin ernie
BBQ Fan

Well I am glad that the thread took off so well. I am learning a lot.

I glad KAM mentioned that he likes his O/A set up becuase it is something that I concider to get before looking into plasma. I haven't used either of the systems. I like how the reviews are going and don't want to change the the thread much but is the O/A set better for a beginner or plasma and easier set up.

Things I do know or think I know O/A is slower of a cut. Not as straight of a cut. Possible more dangers because of the gases?

As for the plasma it is not only the cutter you need to get but compressor depending what model. air dryer and consumables. The cut can be cleaner and quicker.

Hopefully it is too basic of questions.

Thanks again keep the reviews coming!!!!!!! Razz Razz Laughing
smokin ernie
BBQ Fan

Hillbillysmoker did you get to order your everlast yet? Look froward to your review as well!
purplewg
BBQ Super Pro

I don't have my plasma yet but my opinion (for what it is worth) is that the plasma would be easier for the beginner than a O/A unit. A MIG is easier for a beginner than an ARC welder is too. I guess they just keep making things easier and easier.

I also feel it you are going to be doing any kind of metal work you should have a O/A unit around. It comes in handy for many things other than just cutting.

smokin ernie
BBQ Fan

Well I taught myself on an arc welder so maybe should go for the harder stuff and go with the O/A Laughing Laughing

I do like the challenge.

Quote:
I also feel it you are going to be doing any kind of metal work you should have a O/A unit around. It comes in handy for many things other than just cutting.

very good point
Smoked Up
BBQ Fan

I have a Miller 375 plasma cutter and a Victor torch setup. One is a poor substitute for the other, either way. If I had it to do over, I would probably buy a larger plasma cutter primarily for the additional speed of cutting.

Hypertherm is a great product, but I wanted to keep my equipment all "Blue". So far, Miller has served me well and I see no need for changing. This is kind of like the Snap-On vs Craftsman debate. Only the guys that use this stuff everyday can really tell any sort of difference. I have already figured out that Rigid grinders are junk. I have a Makita that is probably 25 years old, and some newer Dewalt grinders that all work hard when you squeeze the trigger. My Rigid is slipping the clutch after only 6 months of use.
HillbillySmoker
BBQ Pro

smokin ernie wrote:
Hillbillysmoker did you get to order your everlast yet? Look froward to your review as well!

Not yet, i went to the everlast site and made an offer on the power plasma 50, it will sever 1" at 3" per minute, it will do 1/2" at 17" a minute, im using 1/4" so i should be able to work nonstop. its a 50 amp cutter with a 100% duty cycle at 40 amps, 60% at 50 amps. im definately getting one just trying to get the deal i want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: