FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone Have Good Recipes For Tuna?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyrman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25 09 6:17 am    Post subject: Anyone Have Good Recipes For Tuna? Reply with quote

I went tuna fishing this past weekend and caught eight tuna and am after some of your favorite recipes.
I cooked a fillet up with sea salt and cracked pepper and it was great but I want to try different things.
ceedubya
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25 09 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like mine dipped in soy sauce, rolled in sesame seeds (I like a mix of the light and the darker roasted ones) seared HOT for a couple of minutes per side and served with an asian cabbage slaw and wasabi. simple, yet delicious.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25 09 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ceedubya wrote:
I like mine dipped in soy sauce, rolled in sesame seeds (I like a mix of the light and the darker roasted ones) seared HOT for a couple of minutes per side and served with an asian cabbage slaw and wasabi. simple, yet delicious.

I have had it done this way and its delicious..

Dont know about BBQing tuna but grilling is fine. Pan seared is my favorite way.

You can always pack some on dry ice and ship it up here to me.. I'd be glad to come up with some killer recipes for ya.. Wink Laughing
LIAR #100
ceedubya
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25 09 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alton brown has an interesting way of grilling tuna. He puts a grill right on top of the chimney starter in order to put it to some pretty serious heat.

His recipe sounds good too, similar to mine but the honey and wasabi poweder sound like a good addition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkLmoaLrw5Y
billr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25 09 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ceedubya wrote:
Alton brown has an interesting way of grilling tuna. He puts a grill right on top of the chimney starter in order to put it to some pretty serious heat.

His recipe sounds good too, similar to mine but the honey and wasabi poweder sound like a good addition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkLmoaLrw5Y

I've made Alton's tuna for years and years. It's exceptionally tasty. Main advice is get the best tuna you can find. Sushi grade is a must. And avoid the stuff with the big grey striations in the meat.
Rojellio Es Caliente
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25 09 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink Another thumbs up for Roxy's "packed in dry ice and shipped to me recipe"... That is a dang good recipe.
joelocalguy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26 09 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the sesame coating, then sear it in a pan with EVOO with garlic. Then top it off with fresh peach salsa. Peaches, sweet onions, jalapenos, all diced. Can add some cilantro, but only a small amount. Take out the veins and seeds on the jalapenos. Also add some lemon or lime juice to keep the peaches from turning brown.
If it's yellowfin or bluefin I eat it raw. Will cook albacore.
This works well for yellowtail too!
mhoodnc
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26 09 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take tuna add a bit of olive oil, cut into small pieces, add rub if desired and feed to dog, if he refuses to partake find a hungry feline. Go to store and buy beef, pork, or fowl. Then I can help;)
Sorry just can't eat seafood.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26 09 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhoodnc wrote:
Take tuna add a bit of olive oil, cut into small pieces, add rub if desired and feed to dog, if he refuses to partake find a hungry feline. Go to store and buy beef, pork, or fowl. Then I can help;)

That's just too bad for you cause fresh tuna is a real treat and IMO the steak of seafood.
LIAR #100
wyrman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26 09 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhoodnc wrote:

LOL @ mhoodnc. Thanks for all of the ideas guys. I forgot to mention that it's albacore. A couple of us ate a little bit raw when they were filleting them and that was some really good stuff. It just melts in your mouth.
I got the stuff to do it like Alton Brown, but I am going to try severa; ways.
smoken yankee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26 09 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuna Steaks grilled
1/2 red onion
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 bunch of Cilantro
a pinch of salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
In a food processor add red oinon,cilantro,sat & pepper,
lime juice. Close top start on low and pour olive oil in slowly until you
make a paste, turn of processer, put tuna in a plastic container
with a top(like gladware) pour paste on all sides of tuna and
let sit in the frig for no longer than 30 mins. Take tuna out and take off as much of the paste as you can(DO NOT WASH OFF) scrape off with a butter knife, then grill for about 3 to 4 mins. per side. It depends on
how you like your tuna cooked a little pink inside(3mins) or well done( 4-5mins.) Wink
marite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27 09 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poisson Cru!!!

Cut 1 ½ pound of tuna into 1” chunks, place in bowl and salt lightly.

Cut 1 medium cucumber in half, remove seeds and slice 1/8” thick, place in bowl and salt lightly.

Cut 1 medium red onion in 1/8” pieces,

Cut 1 large bell pepper in 1/8” x 1 1/2” pieces,

Cut up1 carrot the same as bell peppers, 1/8” x 1/8” x 1 ½”.

Dice 2 medium tomatoes.

Rinse tuna and cukes,

Place all ingredients in a bowl and sprinkle with juice from 2-3 limes or lemons, tasting after adding the juice of each lime or lemon so that it doesn’t over power, tuna will become a whitish color, cooked by the acid.

Mix in coconut milk and serve with rice.

Enjoy,

Gene
Mr. Mojo Risin'
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27 09 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked at a pan-asian restaurant one time where we made a wet rub with the "bbq" rub and oil. Then coated the tuna and pan fried it. We also coated tuna in toasted sesame seeds and quickly seared it for salads.

I don't make mistakes...just understandable bad choices.

Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn Smoker
ProBBQ Excel 20
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: