FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I had time to finish the OK Joe mods now she needs paint.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuck
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14 09 8:32 am    Post subject: red Reply with quote

k.a.m. you are going to paint it red (right)
Razz Razz Razz

Stilwell Chuck
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14 09 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: red Reply with quote

Chuck wrote:
k.a.m. you are going to paint it red (right)
Razz Razz Razz

Stilwell Chuck

Ha, I wish Chuck. This is the same son-law-law that bleeds Orange. You know, Hook em Horns Laughing
I am fixing to start a trailer mount and trying to convince my son-in-laws brother to go with a red trailer. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
DreChar
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15 09 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: red Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:

Ha, I wish Chuck. This is the same son-law-law that bleeds Orange. You know, Hook em Horns Laughing
I am fixing to start a trailer mount and trying to convince my son-in-laws brother to go with a red trailer. Very Happy

Paint it red and black and throw a double T on the smoke stack just for fun Very Happy
BabyHuey
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15 09 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work K.A.M. - it is fun to do this stuff and stand back and watch it work. But it is even more gratifying when you are doing it for someone else. You have a giving heart K.A.M. and it shows! God Bless

Link to my pit build slideshow:

http://s333.photobucket.com/albums/m398/LilBabyHuey/?action=view¤t=4675c7d7.pbw
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15 09 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: red Reply with quote

DreChar wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:

Paint it red and black and throw a double T on the smoke stack just for fun Very Happy

Thanks DreChar, That might turn some heads on the home field Laughing

Thanks BabyHuey,, Very Happy I do love to see a smile on some ones face when their cooker pleases them. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
iahawgheaven

PostPosted: Sat May 29 10 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought one of these at academy yesterday and was thinking that the inlet was WAY too big. I like the mods great work and great info.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun May 30 10 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You iahawgheaven, Very Happy The mods I did on the cooker really helped it perform better. I look forward to seeing some pics of your cooker and cooks. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Bestiverhad
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 31 10 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work K.A.M.
You've given new life to the old girl and with your mods, I bet it's a better cooker.

Very Happy "What would you like to drink with that?" Very Happy
iahawgheaven

PostPosted: Mon May 31 10 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. I have and idea I was just curious if I could get your input? Since I don't know how to weld well or have a welder could I take some measurements to a welding shop that would block the inlet off about 2" but have the piece of steel made larger enough to cover where the fire box bolts are and then measure the to the center of say the top 4 bolts have it drilled out and have a diverter welded to that piece and basically have just a bolt on mod?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon May 31 10 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Bestiverhad, Very Happy It cooks fantastic now that you can control the wild temp swings it had.

iahawgheaven, I think that is a good idea here is a quick pic I drew for you that might help your fab shop. I hope this helps. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
iahawgheaven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01 10 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some time today to mess around with making a template for the shop. I did some checking back through this post and you OK joe is larger than mine is and according to the pit calculator I only need just shy of 26" of inlet and I have a little less then 65" Shocked. With the rounded corners it is hard for me to figure I work best with squares. But I figured that if I block off 3" instead of 2" I will be block approx 30 sq in. I figure that will be real close with the rounding of the hole. May ? is do I still need 2" of drop or do I just need 1" since I am blocking another inch?

Here is the template it not to scale but the measurements are good.

Buckru
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18 11 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringin one up from a ways back as this the exact same unit a buddy of mine gave me. He had a smoker already and this was sitting in the back yard of his "new to him" house.

Mine has some grates resting against the bottom in the cooking chamber and had wondered if they were used for cooking or for holding pans or such. The tuning plates would wipe that out. Do you have any pics of the finished unit with the tuning plates?

I haven't had wild swings in temps but you feel temps hold better with the chamber inlet choked down and diffuser plate? I have no means to weld but do you think the diffuser plate welded to a flat piece could be bolted on with longer bolts through the existing holes that attach the firebox? If it could be made and then bolted on, well I can swing a wrench.

Thanks,

Buck
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18 11 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buck, The plate could be bent by a sheet metal shop and then as you say bolted to the existing bolts. The reason for the deflector on this one was to force the heat smoke down to the tuning plate rails. The opening was right at grate level plus to big.
Here is a pic of the tuning plates installed. This after a rib cook I did last year for fathers day.

Hybrid Cooker
Buckru
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19 11 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m.

I really appreciate you taking time to load those pics. Smokers sure have changed from what I grew up with and am suffering a bit of a learning curve here with technology, acronyms etc.

I also realized I didn't compliment your refurbish and improvements, great job.

Thanks again,

Buck
PitbullTD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12 12 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m thanks alot for directing me to this thread. Every issue you listed about this smoker is EXACTLY the issues I have with mine.

Right down to the 1/8" gap at the top of the firebox door to the 1/4" gap at the bottom. Really irks the hell out of me.

I also have always thought the opening from box to cooking chamber seemed freaking enormous. Nice to know I was right.

Absolutely love the mods you made to this unit, and am now going to have to find a welder that i can direct to this thread Smile

Kansas welders around here? Will come to you! w/ beer, meat, and a hunger for knowledge!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12 12 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Buck, Very Happy I truly apologize for not seeing your post. Embarassed

PitbullTD, your very welcome. I hope it helps you bring your cooker into a more consistent burn. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
ZWM1982

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29 16 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: I had time to finish the OK Joe mods now she needs paint Reply with quote

Was there any issues with the smoker holding up the 4" stack? Did you have to do any reinforcing on the inside?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29 16 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: I had time to finish the OK Joe mods now she needs paint Reply with quote

ZWM1982 wrote:
Was there any issues with the smoker holding up the 4" stack? Did you have to do any reinforcing on the inside?

Welcome to the forum ZWM1982. Smile
The cooker is 3/16" thick there was no issue holding the 4" pipe.

Hybrid Cooker
ZWM1982

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29 16 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome, and for the information. I've been contemplating this mod for awhile, now that I know it works I'm gonna get it going. Thanks again
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30 16 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZWM1982 wrote:
Thanks for the welcome, and for the information. I've been contemplating this mod for awhile, now that I know it works I'm gonna get it going. Thanks again

Glad to help ZWM1982. Very Happy I am looking forward to seeing your finished project. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: