FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I cook a big batch of chili in my propane turkey fryer?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyle Campbell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22 09 9:32 am    Post subject: Can I cook a big batch of chili in my propane turkey fryer? Reply with quote

This is a dumb question so I apologize in advance. I am hosting a tailgate party this weekend and need to cook chili for 20-30 people. I was thinking about trying to cook it in your typical propane turkey fryer but I'm not sure if it will burn the bottom even on the lowest setting. Any thoughts?

The tailgate is 6 hours away from the house so I'd much rather cook the chili all at once when I get there.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22 09 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question, not dumb at all!

Sure you can.

The higher heat is good for meat browning/veggie cooking.

But as suspected it will be prone to scorching.

You will have to continually stir the brew unless it's a real still day and you can adjust the burner real low and not have it blow out.

Option 2 would be to use a smaller pot that fits inside the larger, and use it as a double boiler.

Or you could use a steel hotplate under the pot once it gets up to temp.
gordo
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22 09 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive done it...
used a heavy cast iron pot to distribute the heat better....

then after graying or browning the meat, used expanded metal spacers to raise the pot up away from the heat some...or if I had my pit on-site, and fired up, I just set the pot on the firebox...

Did have to watch it close..
bigwheel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22 09 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a few folks try it. Gordo maybe? Don't work very well. Way too much heat production...waste of propane blah blah blah. Best bet is to get yourself to Wally World and buy a januine boyscout propane camp stove..get the little teflon coated aluminum griddle that fits the stove while your at it. Use the griddle as a heat disbursement gizmo upon which you can slide the pot to and fro to either increase or decrease the heat as needed. That cures the problem of trying to get the stove to do a low simmer without turning the fire down so low it goes out. Thats how I do it so it bound to be right:)

bigwheel
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22 09 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a tip bigwheel:

Anything Teflon coated with just raw heat applied to it (in other words no food or liquid) is prone to giving off poisonous fumes.

Plain steel (or aluminum) works just fine though as heat baffle.
whitey
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23 09 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not use Dutch ovens and just stake them.

These full of chili would yeild 15-20 qts
Chicken Throwdown Champ..2010..
Almost the Biggest Liar on the "Ring"
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23 09 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta get me a few of those Whitey!

Trouble is I just usually got no time to play with em' (I know, I know, make the time). Razz
bigwheel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23 09 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well person could use uscoated or even anodized aluminum just fine as a heat dispersal mechanism if you can find some. I have a small piece of fairly thick diamond plate that works purty good except it aint quite the right shape to cover the stove. Aluminum has some unique heat dispersal qualities which to my knowledge is shared only by copper in commonly found cooking items. With such qualities not being available in the iron or steel family. Thats why the high dollar SS pots usually have a layered bottom of either copper or aluminum...or if you got big bucks you can go for solid copper or anodized aluminum pots. When cooking out doors the fumes off the teflon coated griddle aren't really that big an issue as far as I can tell but it does turn white and flakes etc...so it does need to be an item dedicated to the function for which it was chosen. No serious chili cook in their right mind would consider cooking in a cast iron pot due to the reactive nature of the iron when exposed to the usually acidic ingredients found in chili. Just aint kosher so to speak. Now you can use some of that fancy frog eating Frenchie enameled cast iron made famous by La Cruset (sic?) and that works ok...but it tends to be pricey and a bit delicate when you start banging around on it with metal spoons and stuff like that it knocks off the enamel.

bigwheel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: