FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Overnight on the ECB - Pics Added!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21 09 8:37 pm    Post subject: Overnight on the ECB - Pics Added! Reply with quote

Hi all -- I'm thinking of doing an overnight smoke (butts) this weekend on my modded ECB ... but I've never done one before. Originally I was going to just get up early on Saturday, but I'm going to have friends in town this weekend, so Friday might be a late night, and I'm not going to want to be out of bed at 6am. Plus I want to make sure I'm done cooking before the Iowa game at 6pm. So I figure we will just stay up late enough on Friday, and I can throw them on before I hit the sack.

After reading through some threads ... it looks like water would be the best bet as my heat sink -- as temps could get too high with sand or the clay pot -- and I wouldnt notice.

Ive also recently switched to lump instead of briquettes ... but would briquettes be better for an overnight? From what I've gathered they tend to last longer. Also, I have holes drilled in my charcoal pan with a small grate in there, to assist in ventilation.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Last edited by J-Man on Thu Oct 29 09 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
day_trippr
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21 09 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be wrong, but I think you have the lump vs briquette thing backwards - burn time should definitely favor lump. Plus lump produces amazingly little ash compared to briquettes, so you're not fighting the tendency for the fire to choke itself down with ash.

I'd go with a full water pan for sure, it helps flatten the temperature spikes that can happen when you have to tend the smoker...

Cheers
Shaymus
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21 09 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still will need to get up in the middle of the night to add coal. I've never had it last all night.
J-Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21 09 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaymus wrote:
You still will need to get up in the middle of the night to add coal. I've never had it last all night.

yeah ... i figured. oh well.
whitey
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21 09 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO You will get a more even temp and a steady burn time using brickets.Lump is not uniform like charcoal and You cant control as easy the rate of burn.Stay with bricket.
Chicken Throwdown Champ..2010..
Almost the Biggest Liar on the "Ring"
OwenStubbs
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22 09 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitey wrote:
IMO You will get a more even temp and a steady burn time using brickets.Lump is not uniform like charcoal and You cant control as easy the rate of burn.Stay with bricket.

But... get the 100% natural ones. I get briquettes from Trader Joes. It has their own name on it, but I think someone here said they are produced by Original Charcoal Company. Not sure if that is true or not. They do burn a lot cleaner than Kingsford, do not have that "coal/chemical" smell when first igniting, and produce considerably less ash.
J-Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22 09 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitey wrote:

thats what i was thinking ... my lump seems to burn pretty quickly
Bunqui
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22 09 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had the gumption to do an all-nighter I'd us briquettes.

Weber Smokey Joe
LIAR#38
SmokeHound
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22 09 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OwenStubbs wrote:
whitey wrote:

But... get the 100% natural ones. I get briquettes from Trader Joes. It has their own name on it, but I think someone here said they are produced by Original Charcoal Company. Not sure if that is true or not. They do burn a lot cleaner than Kingsford, do not have that "coal/chemical" smell when first igniting, and produce considerably less ash.

I've heard from a couple of folks on here that the TJ's natural briquettes are great. . . .never tried 'em. . . . Gonna go buy a bag this weekend and give them a go. . . .

New Braunfels stick burner
Weber-Smokey Joe
TBD-wishlist

~~~ and a big fat LIAR, too! ~~~
J-Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22 09 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunqui wrote:
If I had the gumption to do an all-nighter I'd us briquettes.

i need to use the word gumption more. thanks for reminding me.
OwenStubbs
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22 09 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmokeHound wrote:
I've heard from a couple of folks on here that the TJ's natural briquettes are great. . . .never tried 'em. . . . Gonna go buy a bag this weekend and give them a go. . . .

They are actually cheaper than most brands for the same weight than most brands in my neck of the woods.... an added bonus! Let me know what you think - I like them. In my UDS, I dump an entire bag into my coal rack and replenish it as needed. My coal rack is big enough to hold an entire bag, and then some!

@ J-Man - keep us posted on your overnight ECB butt cook!!! Personally - and I say this with pride - I LOVE BUTTS!!!! Laughing
Toga
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23 09 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't trust my ECBs for more than a 4 hour cook unattended. Your a brave man man than I for trying Smile

UDS
ECB x2
Gasser
bigwheel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23 09 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many variables to keep track of on this deal. Such as brand of lump you have in mind to use and therefore it's burn characteristics. Eggaxctly how much airflow is coming through the modded firepan. Has it perhaps been turned into a chicken blaster etc. Think I would dittos whut Whitey say and stick with Briquettes..but I would not try to run off and leave it all night. It gonna need the firepan shook every 2 or 3 hours or your heat production is headed South. Now I have this Aggie Injuneer pal who claims he takes his un modded ECB and fills it to the gills with Kingsford and water..gets the fire started and meat loaded and dunks an empty 55 gallon barrell down over the top of it (few firebricks around the bottom to keep the barell up off the ground) and comes back to cooked food the next morning. I think maybe he is telling the truth. Guess he puts a chunk or two on there too. He stores the ECB in the barrell when not in use. Claims to have cooked on the same ECB for 30 years. Replaced firepans a few times of course but the one he uses dont have any holes in it.

bigwheel
J-Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23 09 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toga wrote:
I wouldn't trust my ECBs for more than a 4 hour cook unattended. Your a brave man man than I for trying Smile

if i were doing anything other than a butt, i wouldnt. also, its a bit more steady after the mods were completed.
Toga
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23 09 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I mistyped that a bit heheh. Let us know how it turns out. Hopefully your mods will enable it churn out tasty Q while you get a good nights sleep Smile

UDS
ECB x2
Gasser
J-Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23 09 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toga wrote:
Wow I mistyped that a bit heheh. Let us know how it turns out. Hopefully your mods will enable it churn out tasty Q while you get a good nights sleep Smile

yeah ... i doubt it will make it through the night staying above 200 -- looks like its supposed to get down to 40 degrees tonight. im sure ill have to wake up at least once to add fuel. luckily i have a remote temp guage so i can monitor the smoker temp from my bed!
spunkymunky
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23 09 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAN O MAN you are one brave feller. I would not be able to sleep at all for worrying about the temps. YES probably one time up. Make sure you have a full water pan and GO FOR IT. Let us know how it turns out. I have a modified Propane ECB and it would be no problem with it for an all night cook with a full pan of water.
NEW UDS (She's a beauty)
Mod. Smoke Cube & Aussie 2 Burner-Lake House
day_trippr
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24 09 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwiw, I have run a full 8 hours staying between 225F-250F on one load of lump on my ECB. I could have run another couple of hours before reloading/restarting another Minion burn.

But my ECB has the full complement of mods and as a result it is very efficient and easily controlled. I often leave the house to run errands for a couple of hours without any issues with the smoker...

Cheers
Skidder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24 09 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not a thing wrong with an ECB as long as it has the correct mods. It sure isn't a WSM or an UDS but it is what it is and will do what you need it to do on the cheap with mods. Alot of us started with one and many still use them. Me I would also stick with good qaulity briqs for an overnight burn. Good luck.
J-Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29 09 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smoke went pretty well. meat was on the ECB around midnight on Friday. put the thermometer through a potato so i could monitor the temp from my bedroom. i did the minion method using a pan-full of briquettes and two big chunks of applewood. at 3am the temp was 225 ... at that point i fell back asleep till 7, and when i woke up the temp was way low (i dont remember exactly, but i think it was somewhere around 170 ... oops!). went out and the charcoal pan was clogged up with ash, with not much heat coming off it. so i fired up the chimney, emptied out the entire charcoal bowl into another big metal bowl, and did another round of minion, which lasted the rest of the cook for the most part ... i think i added one more chimney in the middle.

9lb butt, scored

mustard base with rub

charcoal is ready -- minion style

butt on the ecb

7am. getting more charcoal ready to replace the entire pan

moink appetizer

cutaway of the moink. i overcooked them (blame the beer), but they were still good.

butt finished at 6pm just before the iowa game (18hrs) at 200 degrees. it fell apart when i picked it up!!

into the foil to sit during the game

my brother sprawled out on my kitchen floor wearing a "whos the manzi? stanzi's the manzi!" t-shirt after we ran around the house in a drunken 2 man riot after iowa scored on the last play of the game to stay undefeated. (we are both iowa alums)

pulled

EXTREME CLOSE UP!! (always try and get in a waynes world quote when i can)

we made coleslaw earlier in the day and toped the pork with that ... but i forgot to take a picture when it was plated. those who did not drink an unhealthy amount of beer that day informed me it was absolutely fantastic. i didnt get to enjoy the leftovers, because the rest was bagged up and auctioned off at my work for a united way fundraiser, paired with a bottle of my home-made bbq sauce. my pork and sauce pulled in $150 for charity!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: