FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to get pork fat for sausage?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbyraysbbq

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17 09 1:39 am    Post subject: Where to get pork fat for sausage? Reply with quote

Every time I call a butcher and ask for pork fat here in the area where I live they act like they donít understand what Iím talking about, even thought I tell them I'm trying to make sausage. So I was wondering if I could just add un-salted bacon to my sausage? Am I not using the right terminology when asking for pork fat?
teakettle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17 09 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey bobbyraysbbq,

I have been asking the meat cutters at the supermarket i shop at to save me pork trim. I usually call the day before i need it because a lot of them throw out the trimmed fat after they're finished packaging the meat for the day.

Don in Texas
bobbyraysbbq

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17 09 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply teakettle I will have to give that a try.
c crane
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17 09 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walmart has bacon end pieces that are not at a bad price---you get the fat and a little extra flavor!!
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18 09 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fat you want for sausage making is pork "Back fat". fat from other parts is not as nice for sausages.

I get our back fat from a local butcher that breaks down whole hogs and beef sides for freezer meat.
Many of their customers want the fat trimmed off the pork backloins, so they toss it in the freezer for me, I often get a call when they are breaking down a pig and they ask if I want any so they know to save it or not.

Most grocery store butchers only deal with boxed meat that is fairly well trimmed, and they do not have access to the good stuff that you want.

In a pinch, (summer sausage comes to mind) you can use suet, (the fat from around the kidneys of a cow) but it does not have the cellular support of back fat. so if you are looking to have white specks of fat in a cured sausage, suet usually will not provide that for you.

Another option I use is to order untrimmed boneless bostob butts from my commercial purveyor. They are in cases weighing near 100 pounds though. if I have a pulled pork event, I order boneless and save a copule for sausage making.
Forkin Pork
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05 09 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build a good relationship with your supermarket "head" butcher. Mine hooks me up with whatever I need, I just let him know I need prok fat a day ahead of time.

Ceritfied KCBS Judge
Weber Silver. ECB, UDS
Up Graded Backwoods Party w/GURU
2011 Lang 84 Deluxe
buroaks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07 09 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B-Ray,

I don't know where you live but you may want to look into locating a slaughter house aka livestock processing plant in your area. You will surely find the back fat that you need.
partapache

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08 09 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried all the grocery stores, even the ones that supposedly have their own butchers and the only place I've found that I can buy pork fat is at a local sausage shop for the amazing low price of $2.00 a pound.
partapache

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21 09 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think pork fat is hard to find try buying pork liver.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26 09 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have 20 pounds of cubed pork back-fat in my freezer in 2-pound packages.

If you want to cover the cost of overnight shipping and packaging, I would be glad to send some out your way. I will make sure it is hard frozen and packed into a styro shipping box so it is still frozen when you get it.

I do not see it being a cost effective way of procuring back fat though.

Talk to your grocery store butcher, ask for untrimmed boston-butts, they usually have a 20%-25% fat ratio.
This should be fine for almost anything besides frankfurters, liverwurst, or a bologna type sausage. (up to 50% fat ratio in those items)

What do you plan on making??
I devised a real simple summer sausage recipe that does not call for fermento, soy concentrate, encapsulated citric acid, phosphates, dry milk powder, or any pf that other crap you see in most recipes.
My theory is that the legendary sausage makers from centuries ago never had that crap, so I do not need it now!

I'll post a 10# recipe for the summer sausage in a day or so if anyone is interested.
bigwheel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26 09 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to find pork fat is a waste of time in this area. There aint none. Went the same place as the fella say about the pork liver. Untrimmed Boston butts is the ticket. Plenty fat enough without the need to add any. Bacon is very good as part of the grind. Gives it sort of a light smokey flavor without having to smoke it. Not strong but enough to give em a tease. I use this meat block on everything. Will hit right near a 20 lb pound each time.

2 bone in butts (size we get usually leave about 13 lbs of meat)
1 5 pound chub of preground 80/20 beef chuck (sub Bambi if you got it)
1 3 pound box of Bacon Ends and Pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons Morton Tender Quick per pound of meat. If you want it uncured just use canning/pickling salt and skip the TQ. Other ingredents optional. If you can nail the salt you got it made.

bigwheel

PS..If you have wholesale shopping rights as the other fella say you can get some good deals on frozen butts. Last batch I bought came in a 60 lb case with two big boneless butts to each cryo unit. Meaning 3 bundles of 20 pounds each. That worked out real well for portion control..no need to debone etc. Now a person can buy boneless picnics if they put the mind to it but from whut the coonass who run the sausage shoppe tole me the sausage come out too greasy. Hope this helps.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26 09 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigwheel wrote:
Trying to find pork fat is a waste of time in this area. There aint none. Went the same place as the fella say about the pork liver. Untrimmed Boston butts is the ticket. Plenty fat enough without the need to add any. Bacon is very good as part of the grind. Gives it sort of a light smokey flavor without having to smoke it. Not strong but enough to give em a tease. I use this meat block on everything. Will hit right near a 20 lb pound each time.

2 bone in butts (size we get usually leave about 13 lbs of meat)
1 5 pound chub of preground 80/20 beef chuck (sub Bambi if you got it)
1 3 pound box of Bacon Ends and Pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons Morton Tender Quick per pound of meat. If you want it uncured just use canning/pickling salt and skip the TQ. Other ingredents optional. If you can nail the salt you got it made.

You could also substitute "Salt Pork" instead of bacon to get the same texture, but you will lose the smoke flavor.

Another option is to take the fattier parts of some butts, and cure that, use that as a substitution for salt pork or bacon. You still get that luscious cured-pork flavor and consistency, but at a much reduced cost.

For you guys that do get back fat, try this:
Cure the fat just as you would for bacon, slice thin and fry that up when you feel your cholosterol is getting too low to feel comfortable. If it was dry-cured and aged, it would be known as "Lardo". (look it up)
Oregonian2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29 09 5:43 am    Post subject: Easy to buy Reply with quote

At least here it's very easy to buy "plain 'ol pork fat" for sausage making at Winco. Yes, the huge supermarket. They'll have it in one of the rows of refridgerated thingies in plastic wrapped white trays. At least at the store in Beaverton, Oregon anyway. I know they're a US national chain.
Arador

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06 09 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in the Dallas area and I have looked high and low for pork back fat, no luck. Anyone know of a pig farm in the area?
Holly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23 09 4:51 am    Post subject: Pork fat - Dallas Reply with quote

Arador -- try Dominion Farms in Denison.

DFmeats.com

They do "pastured" pork -- very high quality stuff, and I'd imagine that they would sell you whatever parts you wanted.

Good luck.
hardwic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23 09 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About pork fat, I had the same trouble, till someone told me to use pork butt. or even pork shoulder, I found Wal-mart has good prices. I use about a 70/30 mix with most of my sausage . I've done this for stick/links/patties. Everyone loves the finished product. Some stores will
grind for you if you ask . Hope this helps. Smile
JamesB
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23 09 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in the DFW area, I can get pork back fat from any of the local meximarts... If you ask, they usually have it and will sell it to you for very little $.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24 09 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I call the local grocery store the day before I need PORK TRIM and go in and pick it up for about .99/Lb.

Blza
PETA= People, Eating, Tasty, Animals !!!
BBQonICE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05 09 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not any of your butchers able to grind 70/30 pork or 50/50 pork. 70% pork meat with 30% fat?? Like you guys are saying ....usually a butt will do and grind it up.

What ever the ratio of fat you guys want....buy fresh cuts of pork, pork leg, butt shoulder whatever your fancy....and grind it up. A lot of the butchers up here actually have a box ready to go with certain cuts of pork and will grind as you need.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: