FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Offset folks using charcoal and wood chunks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingofcool
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30 09 3:58 am    Post subject: Offset folks using charcoal and wood chunks Reply with quote

I used up all my wood supply so I'm gonna fall back on this. How ofter are y'all adding a chimney of 'coal and how ofter and how many for chunks?
rjacobs
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30 09 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cook with 90% charcoal and only add small chunks of wood to keep the smoke going. Its much much easier to control the temp using majority charcoal IMO. As far as when to add, I usually just dump some in when I think it needs it. I usually start with a lit chimney and dump it in, then refill the chimney and dump in one full of un-lit. That will go for about 2 hours(in my smoker, will be different in yours) then dump a chimney of un-lit in and go from there. You will be able to figure it out pretty quickly. I dont ever dump in lit chimney's of charcoal although others probably do. My temps stay nice and steady doing this as well.
SmokeHound
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30 09 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main smoker is a stick burner so I burn sticks most of the time. If I'm doing an overnight cook, I'll supplement with charcoal (minion) so I can attempt to catch a nap. . . . Wink JM2C, YMMV

New Braunfels stick burner
Weber-Smokey Joe
TBD-wishlist

~~~ and a big fat LIAR, too! ~~~
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30 09 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingofcool, I have tried the mostly charcoal once or twice. In my offset I can increase my reload time to about every 1.5hrs. as apposed to every 30 to 45min. The problem is the cost of charcoal. So I always revert back to all wood and just start my offset with a chimney of charcoal.

Hybrid Cooker
kingofcool
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30 09 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'm trying to do this early sat morn and won't be around to accept a delivery of wood. Besides this is a baby back rib cook, maybe some wings, so won't be a long one.

Speaking of BBs: 2-2-1?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30 09 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingofcool, you will have to ask the BB experts Very Happy I can honestly say I have never cooked them. I always cook full spares, Good Luck on your cook Smile I am gonna be watching for updates. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30 09 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

page 2 at the end mods...

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14575&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=bride+franken+smoker&start=20

built a fuse line and use th minion method and get 4.5 to 5 hours at 225 to 250 or so in the bride.

cheers Wink

“The Bride of Franken Smoker”
kingofcool
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30 09 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teleking that's a pretty ingenius mod, unfortunatly I don't have too much time to do mods. I think I'm just gonna do a pseudo-minion method, rely on some good lump and some hickory chunks.

I appreciate all y'alls advice. I actually do have my camera so hopefully I can get some pics. I can honestly say, I probably won't do much peaking cause I'm gonna be busy besides being out there adding fuel.

Thanks again y'all.
eastcoaster
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30 09 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually start with a chimney full of coals...directly under the meat....to get it going and get acrust going....then a second chimney with some burnt wood goes in the smoker box....all the while i get campfire going...then after i got some nice ashy coals..thats what i use for the rest of the duration...
but if i got heat loss or something i get back into charcoal just because it is predictable...
ive also used just about any wood u could think of except pine....once it is really burnt down well and ashy i dont think it matters all that much...
but i got a pecan tree in my backyard so im always foraging for limbs etc...
this may not be the "right way" but ive had plenty of success's
zysmith
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31 09 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use lump charcoal in my offset. After the initial load of charcoal/wood (using the minion method) starts to wane (usually about 2 hours) I add a handful of chunks every hour or so with a chunk of wood for smoke. I go through about 1lb of Wicked Good per hour of smoking.
bigwheel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31 09 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using charcoal in a big offset is a waste of resources. If a person owns a little cheap offset its a good plan. Whutcha cooking on in other words:)

bigwheel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: