FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New kettle question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbqblue
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 31 06 1:17 pm    Post subject: New kettle question Reply with quote

A couple of weeks back I treated myself to a new Weber charcoal kettle (I do this every 20 years Very Happy ). It's the top of the line free-standing kettle which the sales child said is the same as a Performer but without the trolley.

I've used it three times so far - to roast a leg of lamb, a pork loin and tandoori chicken. While not quite overcooked, all the meat was less juicy and cooked through a bit more than I am used to Sad .

Fuel type, quantity etc was the same as I have been using in my old Weber kettle for years - so I thought the cooking times would be the same.

My question is - are the new Webers more efficient (ie cook in less time) and if so why?

Except for the ash system, temp gauge, tuck-away lid holder and stupid plastic handles, the only major difference I can find is metal charcoal baskets instead of rails.

Has anyone else experienced this?
loomis1228
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02 06 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BBQBlue--I too have a weber kettle (the performer that you spoke of.) I cannot say that I have anything other than very juicy and flavorful meat. I will say that it does burn extremely hot and it does get a little hard to damper the thing down by just using the top damper. I'm wondering if the new kettles are made of a higher grade metal or something like that? This was my first charcoal grill so I really don't have anything to go on.

Good luck and what do you say, "G-day mate?"
"The Bone Barrel"--Weber Smoky Mountain
Hasty Bake Surburban
Weber Performer
Weber Gas
willkat98

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02 06 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut way back on the amount of charcoal when doing the roasts and such, coals pushed off to one side, with hickory chunks.

I control the heat with the bottom vent over the ash pan.

Only like 20 briquettes will give you 295-305 degrees for a couple hours.

Are you using the "new" Kingsford? It says it burns hotter faster on the bag, so maybe your temps are higher? Just a guess on that one.
bbqblue
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02 06 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day and thanks for your replies.

I've always left all the vents fully open when I've roasted with my old kettle and assumed the new one would be the same.

I might have found out the reason for the higher temps yesterday when I was cleaning up the old kettle before passing it on to one of my sons.

I removed every trace of the baked-on crud inside and this revealed a pair of matt rather than shiny patches on the sides where the coals are placed. I then took a close look at the outside and saw that some of the enamel was crazed and had started to flake off.

It looks as though the enamel surface has finally succumbed to the heat and the matt patches might indicate that it's now absorbing some of the heat rather than reflecting it.

Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to switch to lump a few years back. And I thought Weber kettles lasted forever Sad

I only got just over 19 years out of this one Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Grilling All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: