FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Higher temps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joebrat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02 06 6:15 am    Post subject: Higher temps Reply with quote

I just bought a brinkman verticle smoker and seasoned it and got a temp of 250 for about 3 hrs with plan charcoll. I was trying to do chicken and was haveing a hard time getting the temp to 175. Are people useing just wood or charcol and wood. I think I didn't wait until the coals were really burning good to start with but it seems like I should be able to get more heat.. Any help would be great either here or email. (joebarton51@hotmail.com)
ohiobbqfan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02 06 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one also. I had to drill holes in the charcoal pan and used lump charcoal. Less ash that way. Worked great then. Good luck.
1 Grand Hall Gasser
bbqblue
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02 06 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a modified Brinkmann/Meco vertical smoker and I prefer to run it at 250 degrees. But that's without water or sand. Give me more info about the temps you held and what you were aiming for. I don't understand the 175 Confused
joebrat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02 06 9:19 am    Post subject: temps Reply with quote

sorry I was looking for about 225 to 250 for whole split chickens. so I had 4 halfs
bbqblue
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02 06 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are getting several hours at 250 on a first attempt using an unmodified Brinkmann vertical, you are doing very, very well.

Most people have problems with temps that spike up and down all over the place and coals that self extinquish from ash build up.
bonsaikc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03 06 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, my new Brinkman vertical smoker did the same thing. While seasoning it, the temp gauge got up as high as 300 and never got higher, but it was staying mostly around 250. Is this going to be hot enough to smoke a whole chicken?
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03 06 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most ideal temps are 225-250 for most meats so.... yup Wink Thats the idea low (heat)and slow (cooking time) makes for great BBQ. Charcoal or lump for heat and wood 4-6 chunks for smoke. One could use wood chips but they burn up too fast. No need to soak wood in water. This just makes meat bitter, what ya want is a nice clean hot fire no yellow or blackish smoke just a wisp of blueish clean smoke.
At that temp watch for whole chickens to be done in about 4 hours or so 175-180 internal temp taken in the thickest part of the thigh. Juices will run clear. Legs or wings will wiggle freely. Opinions will vary on some of these tips but thats how i do it. Laughing
I have hot smoked a 12 lb turkey at 300-350 in about 2 hours. Laughing Hmmmmm turkey. Cool
Have fun
Jeff
bonsaikc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03 06 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, I thot I had to use just wood, and was wondering how that would work. Today I have babybacks, spare ribs, and two chickens going at the same time, big get-together tomorrow (fortunately no one is expecting bbq, so they are bringing their own food and this will go a little farther Very Happy

I realize only now that my smoker is too small. (No room for the brisket I purchased to smoke at the same time.

I have an old Brinkman Pitmaster (without the separate firebox) that I was going to get rid of but perhaps now I will decide to refurbish it. Can I add a firebox to it?
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03 06 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m thinking you could.
Chargriller add-on might work. http://www.chargriller.com/shop/bbq-grilling-accessories/side-fire-box.html
Otherwise call or e-mail brinkmann.
http://www.brinkmann.net/Customer%20Service/ContactUs.aspx
Good luck with your get-together. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: