FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My first attempt at a UDS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob129

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10 09 4:46 am    Post subject: My first attempt at a UDS Reply with quote

I have been scouting the local Seattle/Tacoma for a suitable drum. I found one that is food grade from a bakery (held pan oil), non-removable lids (bungs only)....a bit skeptical. I read about the lined barrels being a bear. Not sure if its lined...but have a feeling it is.

I just found a few more barrels for $10 each with removable lids. Depending on what they were used for/condition I may opt to use them instead. I'll spend the time and clean em out real good with the wire wheel.

I am antsy about this like a school kid. I am pretty excited to build one....sounds like fun!
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10 09 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was solid top, too. Cut the top out with a jig saw. Put an old WalMart BBQ Grill top on it, used the grate from it for the cooking surface. And for the charcoal grate, I used 1/4x1/4 hardware cloth around it for a fire basket and good to go. Oh yeah, a pizza pan that was burnt beyond recongintion for an ash catcher. I know it's not how most people do 'em, but use what you have on hand. My build info came from:
http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13224
My barrels came from a cheese plant and had orange food coloring in them, plastic bungs and all Crying or Very sad
Had a gold colored lining, I burnt and I ground, and I burnt again. and I ground three or 4 times. And, I am a patient man, but I ain't gonna work on this sucker for a month. FIRED IT UP, and I ain't dead, yet. Wink

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10 09 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob129, Either way you go just enjoy the build and roll with what life gives you Very Happy Building cookers is fun and I hope they never become work for me because I have a day job. Laughing I look forward to following your progress. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: