FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoked Deer Meat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ragsbbq

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31 09 1:55 am    Post subject: Smoked Deer Meat Reply with quote

Hi Guys - need your help.

A freind of mine just gave me 2 front shoulders and a hind quarter that he wants me to smoke. They are whole, bone in, and have been wrapped in plastic, foil, and frozen. Not sure how to go about cooking them. I was thinking of injecting with beef broth & goodies, then maybe wrapping in bacon to try and keep from drying out as badly. I've smoked loin and backstrap before with some success, but never whole quarters.

Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks and Happy New Year!
troystr68
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31 09 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say this but deer is SO lean I would wrap it in foil after say the first hour so you don't dry it out, also maybe a brine solution?
I have never done it on the smoker but deer is really easy to ruin if over cooked any style. just trying to offer a sugestion not a voice of experience Wink
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31 09 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would slice it into strips, cure it, and slow smoke at no higher than 120 degrees until dry enough to call jerky. Or grind it, mix it with 40% pork, cure it and make venison bacon.

I see nothing good coming out of that smoker with uncured venison going in. No matter what you do, expect it to be dry unless cured and mixed with a fattier meat.
luckyduk
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31 09 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
I would slice it into strips, cure it, and slow smoke at no higher than 120 degrees until dry enough to call jerky. Or grind it, mix it with 40% pork, cure it and make venison bacon.

I see nothing good coming out of that smoker with uncured venison going in. No matter what you do, expect it to be dry unless cured and mixed with a fattier meat.

X2
BIGFELLA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31 09 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ragsbbq here's a link to a similar post regarding smoking venison. a venison shoulder will not smoke like a pork shoulder, too lean.

BIGFELLA

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=337496&sid=bc4f137bd08482a0191f000b51d427d0
Smoky Mountain Upright
Pig Cooker "Under Construction"
KCBS CBJ
bushlight

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31 09 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep this needs some kind of fat
WVGreg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01 10 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if it's the way I cook them, but I've smoked several shoulder and loin roasts that always turn out moist and better than pan seared loin steaks.

I always follow the Drunk and Dirty Tenderloin marinade recipe from Smoke and Spice no matter the cut, but they always come out nice. Maybe the alcohol does it?

I smoke them at 225 until they hit 140, and mop them every 20 minutes with the reduced marinade, thats it. The roasts I smoke are flash frozen within 24 hours after hanging open for 3-4 days to tenderize at ~40F. Not sure if your roast was done that way.
mwillis
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01 10 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why you cant wrap in thick sliced bacon, or some other fat, maybe inject it with creole butter, or just some (real)lard warmed enough to squeeze through a syringe and smoke away.

wrap it after a couple of hours. Not sure what temp to go to. Probably can't pull it, but I bet you could make some killer burnt ends.

Willis
UDS-XT
XT Cart
Dave C
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02 10 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have done whole quarters before.....what i do is take whole cloves of garlic wrap it in bacon and put several slits through out the deer and stuff the bacon wrapped garlic into the meat.....i used a simple montreal steak spice as a light rub then onto the smoker.....you can sauce if you like ive done it both ways...turns out very nice..... Very Happy
Bradley upright
Centrino 4800 grill
SRV signature strat
***proud member..big fat liar's club****
messerist
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02 10 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JM2C but I was mulling over the whole issue if Venison not having enough fat to keep it moist and the first thing that popped into my noggin' was..."Hey! Add fat!" I have roasted venison over an open fire in what my 7-year old called "Mountain Man Style." We just started slicing off thin strips of meat as it roasted, basting with a bacon fat/beer/soy sauce mop after we sliced off a piece. Kinda eating it from the outside-in. We were at a Black Powder rendezvous and it kinda fit it to the atmosphere of primitive cooking. Back to the fat issue. I wonder if you boned out the meat and then took sliced bacon or other type of fat and put it in the meat, tied it up, and then put it on the smoker. During the cook you could mop the meat with a concoction of fat/mop sauce or wrap it up like a fatty and let it self-baste. Like I said JM2C. Very Happy
UDS (in progress)
ragsbbq

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02 10 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. You pretty much agree with what I suspected. I'm really worried about them drying out. I think I'll probably end up boning them out into smaller pieces so that I can wrap & inject and cook for a shorter period of time. I'll let you know how they come out.
fatboy240

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06 10 3:43 am    Post subject: smoking deer Reply with quote

hey guys as for the smooking deer, i do the whole hind legs, treat them just like a ham, wet brine, and before i smoke take bones out and seam meat apart and remove and extra fat and tissue, i then make a bunch of cross cuts threw meat and stuff into ham net if you dont have a stuffing horn, then just grab end of netting and swing round and round till meat is tight in net then start my smoking, the big thing is low heat and raise it slowly until finished , they taste just like ham but real lean , everyone likes them . will see if i have any pics, if so will post them good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: