FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Am I in the wrong site???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07 06 10:37 am    Post subject: Am I in the wrong site??? Reply with quote

OK- got your attention with the subject, check my profile for a good ole boy from Springfield MO, Now what I want to know is this a site for the slow cookin, "smoke ring lovin" croud or do I need to find myself a site that goes toward grillin' too.?? I am sure I gots lots of people pissed of by now, and I dont blame ya if I am in the wrong spot. I just realized tonight that I like cookin a T-bone steak over open coals and an open grill top more than I like cookin a pork shoulder in a closed oven for about 5 hours and serving my hungry when it gets done. Not to say there is anything wrong with that. So the question is--- am I in the right place? Or do I need to find a new place and if so where??-----Thanks folks-
Garo
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07 06 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, You are surely in the right place. We all grill here and I'd make a bet that we all grill more than we smoke. So post on dude and hang with us. It takes a while to settle in at any forum and for everyone to get used to each other. So put on your thick skin and have fun. Have a great day!!! Very Happy

GIANT BBQ
bbqblue
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07 06 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You certainly have not pissed me off Very Happy

The reason there's a grilling section here is because many of us probably grill more than we barbeque (called slow smoking where I come from).

But I have to admit I grill to eat during the working week and slow smoke to relax on weekends.

To my mind, one's a necessity while the other's a favourite hobby. But I do try to do my best with both and that's why I am always interested in learning about others' grilling experiences and finding out better ways to do things.
Gary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08 06 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the input and support. I like to grill and I like to slow smoke and I also love to drink beer. So sometimes I drink and type and what I say aint exactly what I really wnat to say. I love this site and all the info there is on it. My enthusiasm gets carried away at times so please bear with me. I just wanted to get on here and say thanks. I got some Hawaiian chicken gettin ready to go on my lump (see I pay attention) coals right now with pineapple and bannana ca-bobs. Gotta go-thanks again
wnkt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08 06 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems from me Gary, Ill not worry you for grilling if you dont worry me about having a GAS grill Shocked

Grilling started me on smoking...or wanting to smoke too. I got a smoker box to use on my grill and smoked a small pork roast. Then I decided that I wanted a dedicated smoker. Even though its a cheap-o bullet smoker from Walmart.
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08 06 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wnkt wrote:
No problems from me Gary, Ill not worry you for grilling if you dont worry me about having a GAS grill Shocked

Grilling started me on smoking...or wanting to smoke too. I got a smoker box to use on my grill and smoked a small pork roast. Then I decided that I wanted a dedicated smoker. Even though its a cheap-o bullet smoker from Walmart.

Dude...we all start somewhere............I started being a gas grill guy too...........then I bought an ECB.............then upgraded to an offset..........and finally dumped my gas grill for charcoal, lol..............
Gary

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09 06 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow- no I dont hold anything against anyone. I kinda feel like its like motorcycle riding. I dont care if its a Honda or a Harley just because I love Harleys (even tho I dont own one yet) that dont mean we all dont enjoy the sense of an open road, or smoke in our face and good food in our mouth. My first grill was on my front porch behind Dover Downs (Nascar????) It was the size of an embarassing tacklebox. But it did what I wanted and fit in my 3 foot by 6 foot space, next was a gas grill from Lowes' I think from my Dad when Mom and him came to visit. I tried everthing to get the taste I was looking for. I got the little box you put the little chips in and add a little water and it gives you that "taste". (Yeah right- but I was still lookin) I came home MO and had bout wore the grill out. So I stumbled across this old (1965) charbroil grill at a friend's garage sale and as a bet from another friend I would never cook on it. I bought it for 10 bucks and adapted it to gas from the remains of my cheap ass gas grill. Lots of cutting and fabbin to get it there. Buying gas and new burners got old so back to old school with it.I started off with the brickettes then moved to lump charcoal. I learned that from this site. I also learned that the charcoal chimney lights real fast if you take it inside and put it on the gas stove with the burner thing taken off. That aint a joke I got tired of messin with the newspaper bit........
Glad to be here, glad to drink beer, and glad to talk cookin- thanks to all
Gary
bbqblue
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09 06 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I also learned that the charcoal chimney lights real fast if you take it inside and put it on the gas stove with the burner thing taken off. That aint a joke I got tired of messin with the newspaper bit........ " Shocked

You must have pretty good ventilation in your kitchen .... 'cause you wouldn't be talking to us otherwise Very Happy
newmeat
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09 06 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grilling is cool. Meat, Heat and Eat. How could there be anything wrong with that! I smoke large a couple of times a year on a big offset, vacuum seal and freeze the goodies. When it is time to eat I slap em on the grill to heat and sauce. Every tool has its proper use. I rather doubt if anyone on the RING would turn down a nice steak just because it was cooked on a grill Frank
Gary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10 06 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad I got a response to the light the chimney inside Smile What I was gettin at was I just got the bottom coals lit with the fire from the stove(No more than a little bit of paper would do) then transferr3ed that outdoors to a safe place and let the wind and updraft do its thing. I am thinking of adding a camp stove stye ignition system to my grill in one spot--like under the fire box. I could light my coals and move them or light a base fire of coals for the smoker in just a few minutes (about 1 min on the gas stove to get em lit good) then let it do its thing for about 10 min while you do up the rest of whatever it is you are grillin.

DONT EVER GRILL INDOORS!!!!!! Ok thats the disclaimer on the bag, And I just wanted to spark an idea on how to light some coals. Carbon Monoxide is in smoke from the coal. I may be a redneck but Well, I dont' know what it does---- Is it gettin darker in here???---- Damn that chicken smell good!!!!--------OH am I drunk of sleepey??-------OK I ll take a nap Cool Just a bit of humor I hope for a serious subject-
Gary
wnkt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10 06 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently gotten some of those Weber charcoal lighter cubes. They work pretty well and no messy newspaper ashes to deal with. The instructions show using two under the chimney, which I tried doing too and that works.
I put one in the bottom of the chimney starter and pour the lump in on top, then put one underneath and light it. That seems to do the job.
Gary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11 06 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The local hardware store had an ad last sunday for a portable propane torch kit for $20 or so. Think Ill try it. I made a heart shaped brand for my girlfriend awile back, I can heat it with the torch and light the coals outside without alot of hassle. jUST SOME MORE THOUGHTS
wnkt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11 06 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people use a torch to light their coals or wood. I know the Big Drum Smoker website has them for sale and suggests them to light the charcoal in the smoker. No need to try to pour lit charcoals into a basket from a height of several feet when you can just blast em with a torch.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11 06 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zilla wrote:
Gary, You are surely in the right place. We all grill here and I'd make a bet that we all grill more than we smoke. So post on dude and hang with us. It takes a while to settle in at any forum and for everyone to get used to each other. So put on your thick skin and have fun. Have a great day!!! Very Happy

Zilla, I will take that bet! Of course I only bet on the sure thing, how much moola do you have?! Wink Laughing

Welcome to the ring Gary. Lots of great info here for grillers too. I have a (gasp) gas grill or two, as well as a Weber kettle. We love em' all here, so enjoy! Very Happy
Gary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14 06 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw elsewehere in the site about pix of meat being called"meat p*rn"-- let me tell ya-there is no other comparable to the perfect chunk of meat and the perfect coals and all working together. I would like to know at what temp real butter melts at. You see I have this old meat tenderizer I use to poke holes in the steak-- then I watch the butter as it melts to determine when I flip it. I might get an idea how hot it is when this happens. thanks
Gary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Grilling All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: