FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

temperature?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sinbad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28 05 12:02 pm    Post subject: temperature? Reply with quote

I was down in Dallas TX a while ago, and happened on a place called Smokey Joe's BBQ. Best ribs ever! Decided to try getting mine as good. I have a couple of questions. For smoke cooking, what's the best temperature? And should I put some kind of water pan in the firebox? Right now, I'm experimenting with the distance between the firebox and the cooker to see if I can get the right temp. I'm thinking around 185°. Any help?
CHRIS 1237
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28 05 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to cook around 240.
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28 05 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

225-250.

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
sinbad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29 05 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying for pork ribs that literally fall off the bone. I figured slow cooking would be the way to go, so for how long at these temperatures?
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29 05 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinbad wrote:
I'm trying for pork ribs that literally fall off the bone. I figured slow cooking would be the way to go, so for how long at these temperatures?

If you cook your ribs until they fall off the bone they will be way over done. You want them to be tender but still attached to the bone. When the meat pulls 1/4 to 1/2 inch away from the end of the bone they are usually done.

My ribs usually take 4 hours at 225.

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01 05 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you can do is smoke for 2-3 hours then wrap in foil for another hour or two, they might be considered over-done but they will hold together. I know this is not proper, but the bone comes off clean. Alot of people like ribs this way, right or wrong. Sad
Sorry guys just my two cents worth.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01 05 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff is right with his 2 cents, though technically not perfect, I do prefer them to come off with less effort as I hate to leave any meat on the bone.

In the smokehouse I used to work at, the ribs would come out of the smoker a bit sticky to the bone. To my shargin, a microwave was use to reheat the ribs and chicken as the owner did not want to prepare fresh food on a daily basis. By placing the produce in plastic wrap for storage and reheat, this process caused the meat to come off the bone clean. It did terrible things to the presentation of the ribs and chicken as it distroyed their original colour and texture. It turned the chicken skin all rubbery making it undesirable to eat. The ribs had the texture of steamed meat.

Did learn a lot of the "dont do's" when it comes to makin good Q....
LIAR #100
sinbad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02 05 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another quesion, sort of along the same lines. Is it necessary to put a container of some kind with water in it on the fire to add some steam to the cooking process?
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02 05 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you don't have to put a water pan in the smoker. I do, because that's what I did with my bullet smoker and the pan serves as a sort of baffle to help deflect the heat coming up out of the firebox.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02 05 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just spent 6 hours smokin some good eats and I did not have anything for moisture. I have an offset smoker and the Q is.. I should say was awesome...
LIAR #100
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: