FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another propane tank gives its life for the cause
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12 10 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless, I like the handle choice. Very cool Cool

Hybrid Cooker
HillbillySmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12 10 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fabwork, i llike the fact that your coming up with ideas out of the norm, thats how get better on our designs by trying new things and sharing the sucess and failures, i also put a damper from the firebox to the smoke chamber on my first build and it helped alot in controlling the heat. Keep up the good work.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16 10 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a test fire on the smoker this weekend. I had planned on loading it up on the flatbed and hauling it outside the shop like most sane folk would do but the crap weather prevented that so it went on with plan "B" inside the shop. Avoided carbon mono poisoning by cranking the swamp cooler and two fans in the north windows and wasn't bad tho with all the smoke rolling out the front I was surprised the local VFD didn't show up with the thinking that the place must be on fire 'cause no one is silly enough to be Q'n inside. On to business...the firebox was only loaded to about a 1/5'th capacity. It took a good half hour to get things somewhat stabilized and I started fidgeting with the dampers, firebox and smoke chamber. Unrefined and left to it's own devices, it wanted to run about 20 deg hotter on the firebox end temp gage. With some refinements, I got it down to 10-15 deg temp diff. I haphazardly tossed a 1/4" x 8" plate across the bottom half near the FB/ smoker entrance and it raised the temp on the FB end. So, tho the effect was in the wrong direction, a tuning plate will change the dynamics and should be in the direction I want when placed correctly and balance things out. The aux. damper worked as I hoped, albeit a little finicky, and I plan on it being used slightly cracked for normal operation with the option of wide open when needed for an end of cook rush job or chicken etc. if needed. The smoke curled right around the end cap beautifully and back across the top racks. The fidget controls ( Slapout terminology I believe) for the dampers got a little tight during the high heat startup but that they opened when cold and still worked when hot works for me. The FB air flow openings / damper assy was more than plenty for full control of smoke /heat flow to the stack.And lastly, just to be on the PC side, I did make sure to actually cook something during this with a rack of ribs and a very small brisket acting as carbon footprint offsets.
HillbillySmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17 10 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless wrote:
I did a test fire on the smoker this weekend. I did make sure to actually cook something during this with a rack of ribs and a very small brisket acting as carbon footprint offsets.

LMAO, that's a good one. Laughing Laughing Laughing
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17 10 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report! Actually, I get accused of "fiddling" with stuff too much. I guess it's genetic cause my 23 month old does the same thing.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18 10 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HillbillySmoker wrote:
i llike the fact that your coming up with ideas out of the norm

HS...Thanks for noticing, it does keep things interesting. Hardly anything new tho. I have been jacking with, oops PC time, "Refining" things for forever from my first 4 wheel drive truck to a simple pre-boxed Betty Crocker scalloped potatoes. Just can't leave well enough alone.
Slapout....the genetics are indeed real but hopefully not set in stone LOL My dad thinks a large hammer is the most versatile and useful tool there is and once mentioned this when offering to help install a stereo in my ride.
On the business end..I think I am 99% done with the Q'n end of this. I made some adjustments to the stickyness of the dampers. I had threaded the ends and double nutted the dampers to allow for adjustments over time for wear so fortunately the adjustment was there. I cut an approx 16" plate and put it on 1" angles with about 10" of sliding adjustment. The depth on it looks fine but admittedly it was predetermined by the section of plate I had on hand.

I had to rethink the smoker door handles and cut new ones. The old design was a definite wrist burner when fully opened and possibly a little too high for the vertically challenged so the new ones are 2" longer in drop.

So now that I have what I see as one bonafide, regulation type smoking apparatus, it is time for the trailer. It won't do me much good without one unless I plan on having shop office parties and since I am the only full time employee, that looks to be a bit lonely. I am going to use my already familiar 2 1/2" 3/16" square tubing design. I like the tubing 'cause it allows me to run my wiring thru the tubing and I have had way to many encounters with Mr. Policeman in the past after leaving my clip on wiring wrapped around a Mesquite bush. Since the smoker will be offset on the trailer, I am going to use the opposite side for the wood holder box and a propane stove of some undetermined as of yet design. I am considering a red anodized alum diamond plate backdrop for it to shield the cook from the heat just a tad or using the leftover 1/2 end cap with a small L.E.D. light for nite time, kind of like having a range hood on your stove. The cooler storage will then have a Blue anode alum heat shield back drop as well if I go that route. Final paint on the smoker and welding of the pit handles will take place once the trailer is done. Time to quit yakkin about it and " Git er done"

joshsheff1
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18 10 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work Wreckless Smile
Big Green Egg
Reverse flow smoker
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07 10 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What gives Wreckless?
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07 10 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
joshsheff1. Nice praise from a fellow builder
slapout wrote:
What gives Wreckless?

Well Slapout...I got busy. The big guy is currently ( Pick one)
A) in my way
B) posing as the Wreckless and Son company smoker of which I am the only employee and an unpaid one at that
C) Awaiting a fine carriage to be put underneath it
D) all the above
I am back on it as soon as I finish the twin smoker grills. Multi tasking is not my forte. Glad you inquired, my motivation just got a boost.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07 10 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Wreckless, if all you need is a motivational kick in the rear I will drop off the build and drive to New Braunfels. Laughing
Hey I lost an entire day for a favor to my son-in-laws grandfather. He needed some welding done on his work truck and He and I have been good friends for years so we talked old times and fixed his truck. It was a good day. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07 10 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
Man Wreckless, if all you need is a motivational kick in the rear I will drop off the build and drive to New Braunfels. Laughing

Roger that. Consider yourself having an open invitation anytime. If I had known it was that easy to get a visit, I'd have done it earlier. Laughing As always. she ( the shop) will need a few minutes warning to freshen up and throw on some grub before having company tho. Vanity don'tcha know. Wink No worries tho, my motivation is fine, rather, I leave myself open to switch from cruise mode to racing gear and yours, Slapouts, and all others here that make this site enjoyable, comments do that well.
k.a.m. wrote:
Hey I lost an entire day for a favor to my son-in-laws grandfather. He needed some welding done on his work truck and He and I have been good friends for years so we talked old times and fixed his truck. It was a good day. Very Happy

The old saying " Sometimes, you got to stop and smell the roses" comes to mind. Fortunately, with age, I am finding myself doing it far more often. Sounds like yours was one of those days. Smile
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26 10 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, time to make this thing mobile. I need a little real world help here. I have gone way overboard in the past I believe on wood bin size. Maybe thru paranoia but running out of fuel seems almost as bad as leaving the grub at home in the fridge but, I really would like space for other things. It shouldn't be dubbed "BBQ smoker / wood hauler. So...any input as to cubic feet needed for a decent cook? It has to be big enough for a full blown, fully loaded cook, maybe even 1 1/2. I just don't want it so big as to wipe out the entire rain forest. Rolling Eyes
Jim_K
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27 10 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job on your smoker Wreckless!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28 10 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless, if it is any help the boys used 26 logs and the R/F ran at 225 to 260 for 18hrs. I kinda over sized their box. Laughing

Hybrid Cooker
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28 10 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim_K Always appreciated
k.a.m. wrote:
Wreckless, if it is any help the boys used 26 logs and the R/F ran at 225 to 260 for 18hrs. I kinda over sized their box. Laughing

Let's see now...26 logs @ 4" dia times Pi divided by 18 at 80F holding 225-260 divided by......Or were those 5" dia logs? ok, the only thing smoking here is my calculator and brain LOL Really tho, Good info k.a.m. I have what I need, the wood bin will be exactly......sorta kinda smaller than the last. Thanks!
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 10 10 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big guy has sprouted some legs and run off to a good home. Seems I wasn't giving it the attention it needed while building the twins and well...I think it made someones Mothers Day party a good one. Ok, BS aside, kind of a rush job on the frame, the new owner was hoping for a Mothers Day delivery. Nice guy and was totally into this swap of his $$ for my build so it was, as they all have been thus far, a joy to do with a few exceptions. The agreement on the rush job did not take into account my usual steel vendor informing me they were low on / out of steel and nor was I aware that a 60" axle was using an alias AKA 58" hub face. A rush plan "B" was executed after the discovery of the alias and also after the frame was 90% complete. Plan "B" worked out well tho and while the trailer is simple in nature, it has clean lines and a 10 point cross check showed it square to within 1/16" total runout accumulated. The frame consist of 3/16" thk 2 1/2" square tubing with 4 crossmembers, 3500 lb axle and springs with the light side having one spring removed from the leaf pack. for additional safety, the coupler was welded and bolted. A few niceties were custom shrouded tail lights, recessed clearance lights and the wiring run thru the frame for Mesquite bush and neighbor mailbox protection. 3/4 #9 ex metal underneath for storage / cooler space cubbies. Bull dog swing away jack and jeep style steel treadplate fenders were added. Rustoleum high temp Satin Black was used all over.

ryan cassidy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 10 10 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always wreckless, it looks really sharp! Smile
Logtrucker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 11 10 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome job Wreckless that turned out real nice I really like seein all these pits being built Very Happy
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 11 10 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless thats one fine lookin cooker my friend i'm sure its going to offer up some killer que to the new owner Very Happy
day_trippr
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 11 10 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome looking rig, Wreckless! Very nice indeed! I'd be proud to have one of those sitting in the driveway! Very Happy

Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: