FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Handling money and food
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
solanabeacher
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11 10 4:06 am    Post subject: Handling money and food Reply with quote

If you've ever vended by yourself, how did you handle serving the food, and handling the money. I would think the best set up would be to have one person for each part, but how do you do it alone?
Jerk Pit Master
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11 10 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I primarily vend by myself unless it is a busy enough spot or event to warrant two or more people.

I use utensils for food handling and do do not wear gloves, except when I'm handling raw meat at the beginning of the day.

I also wash my hands every hour or more frequently if needed.

Last edited by Jerk Pit Master on Thu Mar 11 10 5:34 am; edited 1 time in total
solanabeacher
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11 10 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerk Pit Master wrote:
I primarily vend by myself unless it is a busy enough spot or event to warrant two or more people.

I use utensils for food handling and do do not wear gloves, except when I'm handling raw meat at the beginning of the day.

Simple enough, why didn't I think of that?
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11 10 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPM has an excellent method. If you must handle food products (like buns for a sandwich), you can always use gloves. You can get thin polypropylene gloves at Sam's (or similar) that are good for single use & cheap. Vinyl gloves work well also, but are a bit more expensive.

Just do not use latex gloves for foodservice purposes...EVER
Shotgun Petes
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11 10 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the order, take the payment, wash your hands, put on gloves and prepare the order and give it to the customer.

I know a lot of you will not want to do this because it sounds like too much trouble, but if you took the servsafe food managers certification course you would know this would be the correct sequence and steps for taking money and safely handling cooked/ready to eat food. Wink

"If you can't BBQ with the Big Dogs, back away from the Pit!"

SHOTGUN PETE'S BBQ SHACK
28 N Ninth St
COLUMBIA, MO

(Downtown across from The Blue Note)
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11 10 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Servesafe teaches alot of rules and even more suggested techniques. Many people leave that class thinking everything they were taught is the law and they must follow their instruction. That is wrong. Taking the class is a wonderful idea, but study your local regulations to see what they require.

Personally, I wash, plate, take money, and wash again. In a vending situation this isn't always possible though.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11 10 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerk Pit Master wrote:

I also wash my hands every hour or more frequently if needed.

We do much the same.

The rules are there primarily to keep bare hands (that are obviously contaminated) from touching RTE foods.

The tongs work for us at our market, we never directly touch RTE food.

Or, as suggested, do like most fast food joints do and use the disposables.

Funny thing about gloves- if not used properly they are just as contaminated as any unclean hands ever were, maybe worse.

Because the wearer doesn't realize that just because they have gloves on doesn't mean they can scratch their bum, smoke a cigarette, and then blow their nose before using the same to hand out food. Wink Rolling Eyes Mad
Louie3
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11 10 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to reduce the risk of cross contamination
would be to separate the job of handling money from handling
food by dedicating someone to only handle money. If this
canít be done, best hand sanitation practices should
be employed.
Do not directly handle ready to eat foods, wash hands after handling money, and immediately, before preparing food, use food handling tools like tongs, spoons, serving papers.
Using disposable gloves when preparing food and not handling
money with these gloves. Taking money while wearing gloves
will contaminate the gloves. These gloves should not be used to
handle food again. Wearing gloves gives a false sense of good hygeine..Imho

Let me ask you this:
If we were at JPM's venue, you pay him for your food and then eat it there... do you leave your food on the table and go to wash your hands that you just used to handle the money that you just paid for your food with?? (does that make any sense.. Laughing )

What I'm trying to say is if the customer doesn't wash their hands they can potentially contaminate your food, become sick and blame you!! Shocked Confused
I provide a hand sanitizer on the shelf for customer use, but it's up to them if they use it or not! Cool
Catch 22??

PS: we offer the hand sanitizer at the begining of the buffet lines when catering too.

Last edited by Louie3 on Fri Mar 12 10 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12 10 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Customers will complain/comment on a chef if not washing their hands but RARELY does the customer wash their own hands prior to consuming.....especially at a vended event.
JimmieOhio
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12 10 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, this is more perception than reality in the vast majority of the cases. I never heard of anyone getting ill from drinking out of a cup with a lipstick stain on it.

However, cross-contamination is another animal. Handling raw meat, then other food without taken appropriate measures SEEMS to be equal on the gross-out chart, but is really WAY worse as we all know.

My dilemma is that you have young, inexperienced, minimum wage people typically handling food. This is not conducive to having the most caring, conscientious or well-trained personnel when it comes to food safety.

"Never criticize a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. Then, criticize him all you want since you're a mile away and you have HIS shoes."
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12 10 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southern Smoke wrote:
What I'm trying to say is if the customer doesn't wash their hands they can potentially contaminate your food, become sick and blame you!! Shocked Confused

They shouldn't contaminate your food by this procedure... they should only be contaminating food that they have purchased, always take the money before you give them the food, make change for them and offer the food and the money, this completes the transaction in lots of jurisdictions, if they contaminate their own food or food they are buying for others there is little or nothing that you can do about it, but if your side of the action is clean tidy and sanitary, and there is not a mas outbreak of food poisoning from contamination at the counter/ table or serving hatch, the HD should clear you in the end. (of course by then there will have been 5 press releases saying you were at the center of the health scare, and a small retraction posted in the middle of page 13 but yatahey)!

Southern Smoke wrote:
provide a hand sanitizer on the shelf for customer use, but it's up to them if they use it or not! Cool
Catch 22??

That's a smart move that may help save anyone vending, I'm going to mention it to a couple of folks I know as a good idea!

Thanks.

I still work here!
Jerk Pit Master
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12 10 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hand saniizer for customers is a good idea.

Even when making sandwiches, I use tongs. Originally, it was a bit of a pain, until I started using the small clam shell containers. I place the bread or bun in both ends, add the meat, sauce and carefully close. Prior to this I kept getting sauce on my tongs and there was the extra step of getting and placing the top bun/bread.

I try and design my menu to also be operationally friendly.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12 10 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shotgun Petes wrote:
Take the order, take the payment, wash your hands, put on gloves and prepare the order and give it to the customer.

That looks like a good technique both on paper and in theory, but try doing that with each and every order in a vending situation. It is totally infeasible.
have you ever tried to get a pair of food-handlers gloves on with damp hands while having a line a over a city block long with people clamoring to get a sandwich from you? Washing, drying, and getting a new set of gloves on for every single order would be insanity at it's best.

The only way practical way is to separate your money handling duties from the food handling. and that is not what the OP had asked how to do it.

Even if you're like a friggin Ninja with tongs, it is still difficult to use utensils only when serving.
And way too many people think of food handling gloves as protection for themselves instead of separating the customers food with other contaminants, they'll keep the gloves on for handling money, and use the same gloves for handling food and they won;t even think of what they just did.
Every change in a task, requires a new set of gloves. And I still see people wearing food handlers gloves wiping counters, handling raw meats or even mopping a floor, then using those same gloves to handle RTE food.
Jerk Pit Master
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12 10 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
Even if you're like a friggin Ninja with tongs, it is still difficult to use utensils only when serving.

Guess I'm a experienced Ninja, as I find it second nature. I'm sure having learned to use a knife and fork correctly at a young age living in the UK and Jamaica helps, as I can eat anything with a knife and fork, even peel n' eat shrimp.
Jerk Pit Master
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12 10 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, just like a good knife is important, a good pair of tongs is critical.

It should be sturdy, have a good grip on food, and most importantly minimize hand fatique.

I primarily use Oxo Good Grips 9" Tongs

SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12 10 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerk Pit Master wrote:
Guess I'm a experienced Ninja, as I find it second nature. I'm sure having learned to use a knife and fork correctly at a young age living in the UK and Jamaica helps, as I can eat anything with a knife and fork, even peel n' eat shrimp.

Eating fish and shell fish with a knife and fork is always amusing, as is watching a ninja expert loading the back of a fork with 'petit pois'!

I still work here!
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12 10 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPM,
Those tongs you pictured have been a thorn in my side since day one, I have those for our servers, but I refuse to use them on the cooking side of the operation.

They seem to lock closed on me all the time, and it makes me nuts by needing to invert them or use my other hand to pull that little hanging loop up to get the lock to release.
Plus the springs tend to pop out of place alot.

I think they look nice on the serving line, But I hate that style for cooking.
Jerk Pit Master
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16 10 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you Harry. I've used them and others for over 5 years and I like them the most. I don't have a problem with the locking, but have had the spring pop out on one and one rivet come loose. The good thing is, they have a 100% satisfaction guarantee and replaced them.

Anyway, if there are better ones out there, I'd love to test them out.
kingconsulting
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16 10 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tongs are my nemesis! I never have a pair of tongs I like. Either like you said the lock up at the wrong time or I manage to pinch my hand. That usually means an instant thrown against the wall.

I did have a cheap one that worked and got used to but somebody tossed it and replaced with a new pair.
New Braunfels El Dorado
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16 10 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingconsulting wrote:
Tongs are my nemesis! I never have a pair of tongs I like. Either like you said the lock up at the wrong time or I manage to pinch my hand. That usually means an instant thrown against the wall.

I did have a cheap one that worked and got used to but somebody tossed it and replaced with a new pair.

Another major thing for me is the tension of the spring, I like a real loose spring so they close very easily. My hand cramps up when I have a stiff set of tongs in my hand. I have cut springs to make them more suitable for use for me.
And I was so bummed when my favorite set lost the hinge rivet. I have a piece of stainless wire holding them together right now. They were a perfect length, the spring was weak, and they did not flex at all no matter what I picked up with them.
I was given a set of tongs once that bent backwards the first time I used them. Bobbie saw what happened, and said "well, they looked nice in the package"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: