FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

southern pride vs. Alto Shaam smokers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBQ Babe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13 10 5:17 am    Post subject: southern pride vs. Alto Shaam smokers Reply with quote

Hi, I am a total amateur looking to start up a BBQ carry out with tables in a well off suburb.

I have done my research on some equipment and would love to hear your thoughts on the differences between using a large smoker(southern pride) or an alto shaam smoke and hold? based on efficiency, cook time and quality of product.

Any info would be great, Thanks! Very Happy
browe
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13 10 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's almost like comparing a Yugo to a Ferrari. Yes both are cars, but that's where the comparison stops. One is a warming cabinet that has a smoker add-on and the other a self-basting commerical rotisserie smoker that is well insulated. I wouldn't compare the two.
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13 10 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For under $5k you can purchase a new Ole Hickory CTO.

The half-size Alto Shaam has a max capacity of 100# of product and is more expensive than the CTO SMOKER.

You can buy a Cadillac or you can put a "ooga ooga" horn on your gold plated moped. It's up to you.
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13 10 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a sp 200 and a alto-shaam smoker, both chip smokers.
They both have their pros and cons. I like the Alto-shaam best between the two for what it is. It's more versatile. If you have the money to go bigger or take a bigger risk I can't help you. I will say just because you have a fancy smoker doesn't mean you can make great Q. I do fine with what I have. Start within your means. I started mine for 50k turnkey. It's a 75 hour a week job, for now. But it's a start. Email me if you want to know more.
BBQ Babe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16 10 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the response! I know that the alto shaam is not the traditonal way to cook southern BBQ but i am looking for something user friendly as i am a beginner.

Any other random advice would be appreciated.

QFanatic I will take you up on that help, thanks!
Herman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16 10 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQ BABE
I have many many different pieces of equipment in my restaurant but the SP 200 is probably the most versatile piece of equipment I own. You will not get a smokering without jumping thru some hoops such as tenderquick or unlit charcoal. But it is a set it and forget it item as far as bbq with a little smoke flavor. I use mine for turkeys, chicken,meatloaf, hams and of course bbq. with or without smoke. The top temp of 325 degrees will crisp chicken skin or pork skin. Love my unit and have had it for 6 years without doing any repairs other than a fan motor and door seals.
I do not have any experience with the altosham smoker I use a winston for hot hold.

Hope that info helps

Herman
kingconsulting
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16 10 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenderquick?????

Herman wrote:
BBQ BABE
I have many many different pieces of equipment in my restaurant but the SP 200 is probably the most versatile piece of equipment I own. You will not get a smokering without jumping thru some hoops such as tenderquick or unlit charcoal. But it is a set it and forget it item as far as bbq with a little smoke flavor. I use mine for turkeys, chicken,meatloaf, hams and of course bbq. with or without smoke. The top temp of 325 degrees will crisp chicken skin or pork skin. Love my unit and have had it for 6 years without doing any repairs other than a fan motor and door seals.
I do not have any experience with the altosham smoker I use a winston for hot hold.

Hope that info helps

Herman

New Braunfels El Dorado
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16 10 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenderquick????????
Robert,
I'm sure he uses that to pacify critics like you, that believe you have to have a smoke ring for it to taste great. Just cause you have a Ferrari doesn't mean you know how to drive it. Not everyone can afford one either. Sometimes you have to live within your means and drive a Yugo. Your smart a## jabs don't help. There is plenty off crappy BBQ coming off those expensive smokers. And I'm sure plenty of tasty BBQ coming off ones like mine. I've had plenty off good comments coming from the food off my electric chip burners. Respect the fact that there is not just ONE way to make BBQ. That's what makes this such a interesting cuisine. 100 BBQ joints 100 versions. I hope yours is the best.
Here to share success,
Charlie
kingconsulting
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16 10 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One word is a smart a$$ jab?

I don't own an expensive smoker and never have. Your Alto-Shaam most likely cost more than what I have. Who is driving the yugo and who is driving a Ferrari?

Using Tenderquick to "fake" a smoke ring is faking it. That isn't barbecue. And I guarantee if you have to do that your food doesn't taste like barbecue either. If your going to step up to the plate why even bother swinging the bat then?

qfanatic01 wrote:
Tenderquick????????
Robert,
I'm sure he uses that to pacify critics like you, that believe you have to have a smoke ring for it to taste great. Just cause you have a Ferrari doesn't mean you know how to drive it. Not everyone can afford one either. Sometimes you have to live within your means and drive a Yugo. Your smart a## jabs don't help. There is plenty off crappy BBQ coming off those expensive smokers. And I'm sure plenty of tasty BBQ coming off ones like mine. I've had plenty off good comments coming from the food off my electric chip burners. Respect the fact that there is not just ONE way to make BBQ. That's what makes this such a interesting cuisine. 100 BBQ joints 100 versions. I hope yours is the best.
Here to share success,
Charlie

New Braunfels El Dorado
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16 10 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Roberts defense (and I have a lot of respect for Herman and his advice) I wondered the same thing.

I bet a lot of other's did too, and just didn't voice it..............................

I'm curious about the no smoke ring comment as well.

I've never cooked on a SP, but I have on an OH. And while they are not exactly the same, they are similiar.

If you are burning logs, why wouldn't you get a natural smoke ring with a SP?

Back on topic- I'd be hard pressed to trade an actual smoker (whatever that brand might be) for an alto-sham.

If BBQ Babe is looking for something that is similiar, perhaps a Cook Shack FEC type of pellet cooker might be appropriate?

And although I'm not a big fan, they do cook with real wood.
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16 10 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me an alto-sham would be like putting a smokebox in an oven ya it's smoked, but is it slow smoked bbq?for something simple to use think about a stumps doesn't get much easier than dump a chimmey of lite coals and dump more on top close the top and load your meat.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16 10 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An alto-shaam multi-unit is just not a bbq pit, they are great for adding a little smoke flavor to something, but better can be had for less money.

Now here is my questions, Have you ever worked in the restaurant industry before?
What makes you want to have a restaurant?
And what makes you think you will be able to make a living doing this?

There is alot more to it than meets the eye for someone who has not been in the trenches. The volume needed to make the bills may just floor you when you get into doing your P&L projections.

Write your business plan first, see how much money you can get, see what equipment you can afford with that, and see if it is even possible before espending a penny on equipment.
Herman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16 10 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry did not mean to start a fuss. In my neck of the woods you cannot sell BBQ with a smokering therefor I do not produce a smokering on my q.
The sp 200 is a electric smoker that does not produce a smokering unless you use one of the methods I mentioned. I was just trying to point out that fact in case he was expecting a smokering on his q.

fwiw most of the methods of cooking q in eastern NC do not produce a smokering eg. hardwood coals, charcoal, gas, electric

Herman

edit: the charcoal is started outside the cooker or it would produce a smokering if added to the cooker unlit
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17 10 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fuss is what BBQ is all about. I bought my alto-shaam 767 II demo off ebay, directly from alto-shaam for 1500. A steal for sure. Took the seats out of my Geo Metro to get it in the back because I couldn't afford to have it shipped. And for folks that don't know Southern Pride makes chip smokers too, similar to the Cook Shack. From the auctions I've seen FD's uses them. Also, I can pan smoke food and give it just as much flavor as a stick burner. Do the best with what you have and respect others for doing the same. My response was to the dig. In many places the health department, including mine, do not allow none NSF equipment in a restaurant. So a cheap non NSF stick burner doesn't fly. Someday maybe I'll be able to afford a nice stick burner too. But I won't forget how I started. How can the birth place of American BBQ not allow a smoke ring?
kingconsulting
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17 10 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't a dig it was a question hence the question marks and it wasn't directed at you but you felt the need to jump in. The poster I was commenting to doesn't even use it.

Tenderquick does not make barbecue period and I think it's a "shaam" to try to pass it off as such. Just my opinion and it won't be changed.

qfanatic01 wrote:
A fuss is what BBQ is all about. I bought my alto-shaam 767 II demo off ebay, directly from alto-shaam for 1500. A steal for sure. Took the seats out of my Geo Metro to get it in the back because I couldn't afford to have it shipped. And for folks that don't know Southern Pride makes chip smokers too, similar to the Cook Shack. From the auctions I've seen FD's uses them. Also, I can pan smoke food and give it just as much flavor as a stick burner. Do the best with what you have and respect others for doing the same. My response was to the dig. In many places the health department, including mine, do not allow none NSF equipment in a restaurant. So a cheap non NSF stick burner doesn't fly. Someday maybe I'll be able to afford a nice stick burner too. But I won't forget how I started. How can the birth place of American BBQ not allow a smoke ring?

New Braunfels El Dorado
kingconsulting
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17 10 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to apologize. I understand what your saying just don't think it should be used for barbecue. Hams, sausage and bacon sure!

Herman wrote:
Sorry did not mean to start a fuss. In my neck of the woods you cannot sell BBQ with a smokering therefor I do not produce a smokering on my q.
The sp 200 is a electric smoker that does not produce a smokering unless you use one of the methods I mentioned. I was just trying to point out that fact in case he was expecting a smokering on his q.

fwiw most of the methods of cooking q in eastern NC do not produce a smokering eg. hardwood coals, charcoal, gas, electric

Herman

edit: the charcoal is started outside the cooker or it would produce a smokering if added to the cooker unlit

New Braunfels El Dorado
CrazyChef
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17 10 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm gonna call a spade a spade here - ALL (and I mean ALL) cookers are nothing more than ovens. That's it - they are ovens. Period. Whether they are gas fired, wood fired, hell, even nuclear fired - It doesn't matter - It is still an oven! We can call it a smoker, a rig, a cooker, whatever - but, IT IS STILL AN OVEN, NO MATTER HOW IT IS HEATED UP!!!. EVERYONE who is smoking ribs, pork butts, brisket, whatever, is doing it in an oven. Simple. Get it. Yes, I've been drinkin' (again!!!), but the truth is the truth. A smoker is an oven. No more, no less. Deal with it!
kingconsulting
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17 10 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't talking about the cooker. Just doctoring up food to pretend it's something else.

Now about that gas.....Smile

CrazyChef wrote:
Okay, I'm gonna call a spade a spade here - ALL (and I mean ALL) cookers are nothing more than ovens. That's it - they are ovens. Period. Whether they are gas fired, wood fired, hell, even nuclear fired - It doesn't matter - It is still an oven! We can call it a smoker, a rig, a cooker, whatever - but, IT IS STILL AN OVEN, NO MATTER HOW IT IS HEATED UP!!!. EVERYONE who is smoking ribs, pork butts, brisket, whatever, is doing it in an oven. Simple. Get it. Yes, I've been drinkin' (again!!!), but the truth is the truth. A smoker is an oven. No more, no less. Deal with it!

New Braunfels El Dorado
kingconsulting
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17 10 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah and I think it's 5'oclock somewhere! Time to catch up!
New Braunfels El Dorado
Herman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17 10 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its well after 5 here so I have almost completed my daily allowance

Qfanic01
You ask how can a smokering not be allowed in the birthplace of american bbq.
I do not know other than to think back on the history of q in this area. I did not even hear the term smokering until about 12 to 15 years back. btw I am going on 67 in july and been seving q to the public for 28 years. customers will complain the q is undercooked if presented to them with pink or red meat.

back in the day pigs were cooked over a hole in the ground with wagon axles laid across the hold and the pig laid on top on the axles usually with some wire on top of the axles. A fire was started away from the pig with oak burning down to coals, these coals were shoveled under the pig to slow roast the pig for about 10 to 12 hours. the only smoke involved with the pig came from the grease dripping down on the hot coals and being vaporized. Pig came out golden brown without any type of smokering and without the blacken exterior associated with smoke. I guess people in this area have come to demand something similar in their q even today.

I know the rest of the country has come to love and expect a smokering in their q but for me "real barbecue " (a term used quite often on this site)is what my customers expect and will purchase on a recurring basis. I'm too old to try to change my customers expectations.

Herman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: