FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

southern pride vs. Alto Shaam smokers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17 10 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingconsulting wrote:
Wasn't talking about the cooker. Just doctoring up food to pretend it's something else.

So...do you add a seasoning rub to your bbq? Where I'm from (and Mr. Herman as well) that would indeed be seen as doctoring up your "bbq". As a matter of fact it probably wouldn't even be called bbq in our parts (North Carolina). I sort of find it comical that two people, one from CA & another from MN, are arguing over what 'real' bbq is. Laughing Just a jab guys...don't get 'em in a wad.

Mr. Herman couldn't have explained the lack of a smoke ring in NC bbq better! We don't do pink or black bbq AT ALL. You cook directly over live coals with the skin on a whole hog. The skin and meat both come out golden to medium brown (on the outside). The inside meat stays very light in color. NC bbq is extremely light on smoke flavor because the only smoke comes from pork drippings hitting the live coals. And yes...pit fires are very commonplace...that's why most traditional bbq joints have their pit house in a separate building (and some even have a backup pit house so that WHEN, not "if", the primary burns up they can move to the other pit and keep on cooking).

Great thread guys.
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17 10 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the history. So I than wonder were the smoke part came into play. I know the Native Americans used it as a preservative in the NW and in the plains as well, but that was for dried meats. It makes a good point though. My customers like what I cook as well. My Alto-shaam works great for corned beef too. Have a happy St. Patty's Day everyone
kingconsulting
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17 10 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.k. I'm in a wad now Smile I'm sure where your from cooking on a gas assist machine isn't considered real barbecue either? Smile Yes I am just yankin your chain since mine has been.

I was going to say something about him being in MN then I forgot I'm in CA Smile I can't be blamed for all the other people here now can I? I'm not in either the fruits or nuts camp.

Pit Boss wrote:
So...do you add a seasoning rub to your bbq? Where I'm from (and Mr. Herman as well) tha ot would indeed be seen as doctoring up your "bbq". As a matter of fact it probably wouldn't even be called bbq in our parts (North Carolina). I sort of find it comical that two people, one from CA & another from MN, are arguing over what 'real' bbq is. Laughing Just a jab guys...don't get 'em in a wad.

Mr. Herman couldn't have explained the lack of a smoke ring in NC bbq better! We don't do pink or black bbq AT ALL. You cook directly over live coals with the skin on a whole hog. The skin and meat both come out golden to medium brown (on the outside). The inside meat stays very light in color. NC bbq is extremely light on smoke flavor because the only smoke comes from pork drippings hitting the live coals. And yes...pit fires are very commonplace...that's why most traditional bbq joints have their pit house in a separate building (and some even have a backup pit house so that WHEN, not "if", the primary burns up they can move to the other pit and keep on cooking).

Great thread guys.

New Braunfels El Dorado
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18 10 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, where I'm from, gas cooked bbq ISN'T considered real bbq. There's plenty of it around, but "traditional" bbq is ONLY cooked over coals & is whole hog.................NOTHING else.
jimbo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21 10 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read on the Cookshack electrics, they add some charcoal briquets in the wood box to produce enough nitrates to make a smoke ring if you want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: