FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need advice on welding rod selection

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rykymus
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13 10 12:27 pm    Post subject: Need advice on welding rod selection Reply with quote

Picked up a used Lincoln AC225S. Getting my garage wired for it on Monday morning. Wondering what rods to use. In an earlier post k.a.m. said I could use 6011 and 6013, but I was wondering which ones to use when, and what thickness. I'll be using 1/4" plate and 1/8" angle. Don't know what thickness my compressor tank is yet. Any advice would be appreciated.
OFBHWG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13 10 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6013 is my preference much better looking weld
seattlepitboss
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13 10 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on welding rod selection Reply with quote

rykymus wrote:
Picked up a used Lincoln AC225S. Getting my garage wired for it on Monday morning. Wondering what rods to use. In an earlier post k.a.m. said I could use 6011 and 6013, but I was wondering which ones to use when, and what thickness. I'll be using 1/4" plate and 1/8" angle. Don't know what thickness my compressor tank is yet. Any advice would be appreciated.

If you don't know how to whip a rod in and out of the puddle to control heat, don't monkey with 6011. There is one drag rod you can use which will give you nice looking strong welds: 7018AC. Here's a link: http://store.weldingdepot.com/cgi/weldingdepot/770474.html

You can also try some 7014, which is what I learned to stick weld with. It welds a lot like 7018, meaning you don't have to whip it, and it welds real nice in the horizontal position. I used to buy it at Home Depot in their tool crib, in the little plastic 5 pound boxes. It's called "farmer's rod" because it's so easy to weld with.

By drag rod I mean one that you can just set your welder to the right amperage (around 90A for 3/32 rod), strike an arc, and drag the rod along. You will do much better if you can keep your arc very short, the tip of the rod nearly in the puddle. You should get 6" of bead from one rod. If you have to weld vertically, turn your machine down a tad, make sure you can see really well, maybe brace your elbow so you can move your hand easily, strike your arc and then go right straight up, focussing on keeping the arc as short as possible and moving steadily. Don't forget to breathe.

seattlepitboss
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13 10 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rykymus, I use the 6011's for thicker metal when the iron cannot be cleaned as well as I like. It is a deep penetrating rod so I tend to reserve their use to 3/16'' thickness and up. The 6013's are a low penetrating rod, and not much rod maneuvering is needed, I use these rods mostly on 1/8'' metal and thinner. I have both 1/8'' and 3/32'' sizes for different applications.
You can try the 7018 A/C rods to see if your machines likes to run them. Also the 7014's that seattlepitboss mentioned are good rods as well.
I only buy my rods from my local welding supply store, I do not care for the rods that are sold at the local hardware stores and the like.

Hybrid Cooker
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13 10 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My $.02 worth. KAM and a few others know what shynola is and the difference.
For the average Joe, here is my take..
7018..Good weld, strong on clean metal. I use Lincoln brand AC rods, they have the Iron for easy starts and avoid the flux withdraw that requires the common tap tap approach to get it started. Any other brand has caused me headaches tho.
6013..I have welcomed this rod recently for its use in cosmetic uses such as the outside welds as I grind these down for a blend in appearance. They also work for the bassackwards vertical weld done downhill.
6011...unless you have experience, these rods need a tutorial to make them work with the whip in and out weld pool needed. Great rods, but need some experience, much like welding oxy / acet welds.
And while you should try and never drag your rod, the flux gets drug into the weld, it makes for a decent foundation to do so upon learning good hand / eye coordination
A good structural foundation with proper design for strength is the best bet, the rod secondary.
EricL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19 10 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 3/32 7018 for finished welds and when I tack things up I use a 1/8 6010. these are your most common pipe welding rods. amperage for both rods on my miller 250 sincrowave is 65amp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: