FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Re-conditioning my Fat 50 (w/pics - Updated 4-6-10)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mattytee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19 10 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re-conditioning my Fat 50 (w/pics - Updated 4-6-10) Reply with quote

I bought a DPP Fat 50 Ultra a couple weeks ago from a guy in Georgia. While there is structurally nothing wrong with the grill she did need a paint job and a little TLC. Just to be sure it was working, of course, I fired it up and put some chicken on a couple hours after I got it Smile . Sure enough it worked fine!

First thing we needed to repair was lights. One side of the lights was not working at all, either the side marker or the tail light. My father ended up cutting the rear wire set at the end of the tube under the chassis and found that one wire was completely frayed and melted. The wire tube runs right under the fire box and we suspect a hot ember may have lodged itself on top of the tube at some point. $15 for a new wire harness and a couple hours later it's good as new, although I suspect this could be a problem again in another couple years. I may fab up some type of heat shield or simply wrap the wire tube with a small piece of my welding blanket to protect it.

Right now I am working on the upper storage basket. I’ve been removing rust over the past few days with a wire brush attachment for my drill. I also scuffed up any of the solid surfaces where paint was OK in prep for the re-painting. Last night I sprayed on a first coat and it came out pretty well. I should have that finished up tonight then clean and paint the frame, smoke box, fire box, the other two storage baskets and the bide burners, polish chrome and clean/re-season the inside.
I’ll post more as I progress. Tips and comments are appreciated of course.

Last edited by Mattytee on Wed Apr 07 10 10:46 am; edited 3 times in total
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19 10 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see some pics of that pit!!!
BluzQue
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20 10 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slapout wrote:
Let's see some pics of that pit!!!

+1

Cool

GOOD MUSIC GOOD FOOD GOOD BEER GREAT FRIENDS

OLE BOY OFFSET SMOKER
WEBER PERFORMER GRILL
WHISKEY BARREL SMOKER
seattlepitboss
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20 10 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can actually paint expando better with a roller.

Looks great!
Mattytee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20 10 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seattlepitboss wrote:
You can actually paint expando better with a roller.

Looks great!

Good tip - I'll try that tonight. I have the Rustoleum high-temp paint in can and in a pint and there's 3 total storage units.

More pics coming, here's one of the pit for now...

k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20 10 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattytee, congrats on your new used cooker. Very Happy She looks like she has a lot of cooks left in her. You are doing a fine job so far on the rehab I will be watching for more updates. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
BRBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20 10 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking like a nice job
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20 10 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That shiny new paint they put on pits(any pit) sure doesn't last long does it.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Gunner69
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20 10 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the smoker I want... Can't wait to see the finished resto and here how she cooks...
Mattytee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20 10 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your comments so far!

Last night I started work on the trailer tongue and front basket as well as the fire box. The fire box is pretty well rusted over but still structurally intact. I spent a bit of time on it with both the wire brush/drill and my orbital sander. The sander seemed to take off the surface rust well but didn't really get into some of the areas that were more pitted (ha ha!). In those areas the wire brush definitely outperformed the orbital. Overall I think I got most of the surface garbage off. I am trying not to obsess about the rust on the fire box too much. I think if I get most of the crust off and lay a good coat of the rustoleum on there it will hold up for the season.

I am a not too happy about the finish of the paint though. I have to take a closer look at the cans I used as I originally had a spray can of the “ultra” and the pint can of the regular high-temp. Last night I bought a couple more spray cans that I thought would be the same but it seems to be a flat finish. The original spray can I bought seemed to put a semi-gloss or satin finish on and the pint can I have says “satin black”. I'll have to sort it out today, it should be a nice day and I am going to lay a base coat on the fire box.

In the pics below you can see the clean up on the fire box and some of the rust on the cook box and burners. The front basket is pretty much finished, I'll throw up some pics of that later today.

Stay tuned, it's a beautiful day here in Western NY so more to come...

Mattytee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23 10 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started painting the fire box & front part of the frame this weekend. Solved the mystery of the paint by turning the cans over to discover there are three different color names which produce three different results. The BBQ black is a flat black, almost dark grey which I did not want. The Black has a nice gloss finish to it and the Satin Black in the can is what I would call a semi-gloss. I laid a coat of the satin black on the smoke box & parts of the front basket & frame that I could get with my small roller. I’ll go back in and get the rest with a brush when the weather warms up. I put a little too thick of a coat on the fire box and it did not dry completely until the next day after I fired her up. I am a little worried about longevity now, but figured it couldn’t be too bad as I may have just baked it on like a powder coating. We’ll see later this summer.

Here you can see the three different colors

The fronts of those cans, each one a little different

This is a coat of the BBQ-Black which I did not like

I disassembled the side burners which were a rusty mess. Although they did OK it wasn't perfect. I found them full of rust flakes and a couple bugs which likely clogged the gas flow.

This is a before and after of the side burners. Turns out they are cast iron. As soon as I had the rust removed I hit them up with a nice coat of oil and cured them like I would any pan. The result is a beautiful dark iron finish that should hold up to any weather now.

Here you can see the front basket and fire box during my weekend cook. There is some discoloration around the firebox door from a smoke leak. Looking to seal that up with a strip of fiberglass or metal, not sure what yet

ShutYrMouth
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23 10 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn matt
that looks pretty much new.
nice work man

greg
22 1/2 WSM
DP Fat 50
Stumps Stretch
Orange and Brown Thermopens
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23 10 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattytee, you are doing a stellar job my man Very Happy Your cooker re-hab is looking awesome. I will be watching for more updates. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
Big Ron
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23 10 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good. Makes a big difference
www.bigronswebsite.com

(Find Big Ron's Rub on Facebook)
Big Ron's Custom Reverse Flow Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQxbfOx_MOE
yndio
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24 10 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good work bud. I have a fat 50 and need to do some work on the firebox as well. The heat pretty much eats through any paint I've used. Which of the three paints did you go with that is shiny glossy? I know it's not the first can, those suck. Also, do you mind giving me the dimensions to the upper rack? I didn't get that option but have been wanting to have one made. Great job thus far, whoever had it before really did a number on it since only my smoke box looks bad but the rest of it is still nice and black even after the bad weather it has been in and I don't have a garage.

Yndio
polishdon
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24 10 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice work matt, where you located?? I am in Hamburg.
eccho108
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24 10 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking very good Mattytee. A few dollars and some elbow grease and she'll look just like new............Probably cook better too, cause everyone knows a pretty cooker is a happy cooker. Laughing Razz Laughing

WSM 18.5 CA.
Broil King 5 burner gasser CA.
7Qt. Lodge DO
alphaking

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24 10 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yndio wrote:
The heat pretty much eats through any paint I've used. Which of the three paints did you go with that is shiny glossy?
Yndio

I actually spent a good part of the week looking for a good paint as well. A buddy and I picked up a used Lang 84 in the same condition that will need a repaint. When I wen to Lowe's, all the Rustoleum BBQ paint was good up to maybe 500*. I went to Autozone, and they had Rustoleum High Heat that is good up to 2000*, and comes in a spray can ($8/can). Ill be trying that out this week and will let you guys know how it works out. I also called a local Sherwin Williams to check on their 1500* paint, but its special order and I need to get this thing painted asap. Another one I looked at was POR 15 Black Velvet. That stuff is a bit pricey, but would probably be the last coat of paint youll ever need. I think POR 15 is what the Navy uses on the ships if I remember correctly.
Chris
Blackstone Griddle
Stumps Baby (Sold)
Large BGE x3 (Sold)
Medium BGE (Sold)
Primo Oval XL (Sold)
Lang 84D (Sold)
yndio
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24 10 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep us posted buddy, I've been toying with the idea of actually using a red color as well to spruce of the pit but if I can't find anything to withstand the heat I might as well go with just oiling it but I will do that only if all else fails.

Yndio
PaulOinMA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24 10 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just oil my firebox.

Here are some high temperature paints in colors.

http://www.hightempenginepaint.com/

Search for engine paints. Some are for valve covers and don't go as high as this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: