FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoker Box and a Gas Grill

View previous topic :: View next topic  
House of Payne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06 06 3:02 am    Post subject: Smoker Box and a Gas Grill Reply with quote

Quick question,
I just bought a small smoker box from Target to use on my gas grill. I would like to add a little more flavor to burgers, etc. My question is, where exactly do I set the small little stainless steel smoker box in the grill? It's a thermos gas grill - should i put a rack below the grilling rack in order to keep it from directly touching the gas appliance down there?
Thanks<
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07 06 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It goes dirctly up against the burner, otherwise, there will not be enough heat to burn the wood chips. Also, avoid soaking in water, it makes the wood burn at a different rate, and will lend an arid taste to your foods!
House of Payne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07 06 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a ton BBQ MAN!
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07 06 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your welcome, thats what we are here for! Very Happy

I have often thrown the chips in heavy foil, and done the same thing on a gas grill. No need to poke holes in the foil, the smoke will get out. Plus that, no messy ash in the grill. After everything cools down, you just toss the foil pack in the garbage, and your done! Very Happy
Modman75

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07 06 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had quite a bit of success with myTarget box recently. Beer can chicken, ribs, and brats all cam out great. Maybe what I did will help ya out....

I soak my chips for about 15 minutes in a 50/50 of water and apple juice. I use a 75% apple/ 25% Hickory chips mix.

I have the "flavor savers" over my burners, I place the box directly on those. I would be leary about placing the heavy box directly on the burner itself.. the box is pretty heavy. I get the grill fired up nice and hot to get the smoke going, about 15 -20 minutes.... at that point I turn off all but one burner and let the temp come back to 225-250. You won't see the heavy white smoke, just the faint blue smoke and a GREAT smell Laughing (I believe BBQ man was the one who gave me the info about the white smoke Laughing )

Oh and one more thing, get a thermo that you can place at grate level to get the temp... the one in the hood will be wrong. Mine is off by 57 degrees. LOL

OK just one more thing for now..... read everything you can on here. These guys all have some great ideas, read them all and not only can you learn some great techniques, but also avoid some pitfalls along the way.
Sam Roza

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10 06 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exactly what I came here looking to find. My only concern about using a smokebox is the weight of it since it's cast iron, and sitting on top of the flavor savers.

I'm leaning towards taking a piece of sheet metal and perforating it with several large holes, and screwing it to the side of the grill so it sits above the burner assemblies/flaver savers/flame diverters/whatever they really are instead of right on top of them.

Any thoughts?
wnkt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10 06 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make a pouch out of aluminum foil and a hand full of chips. ..poke a few holes in it for the smoke to escape.

Have a couple ready if you need more.
No weight problems if you are concerned about it.
Easier to clean up too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Grilling All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: