FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SHOTGUN PETE'S BBQ SHACK
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 40, 41, 42  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07 10 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been 7 days since we last heard from Shotgun_Pete Shocked Shocked

Is this thread dead?? Shocked Shocked Shocked
CrazyChef
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08 10 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully, he's too d@mn busy to post!
Louie3
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08 10 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems quiet across the board...
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08 10 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The season is starting up, people are either getting ready to go or are going already.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
shotgunpetes#4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09 10 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted last night, not sure where it went! This is shotgun Petes sister, yes he is very busy, the businhess is doing great so far, he is still tweaking his system here and there but the customers are returning and new ones are coming everyday. it was a nice trip up there with dad, it ment so much to both of them for dad to be there, he was able to spend a few hours a day watching the smoke and of course offering his tips to my brother. I know that when things slow down he will catch you all up!
Take care!
Shotgun Petes
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11 10 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,
I finally had some free time to write a little.
As my sis mentioned, I have been staying pretty busy at the BBQ Shack!
We are seeing a lot of repeat and returning customers every day.

The local newspaper ran a story and a photo of me and my dad.
This is great (free) publicity!
It came out today in the business section.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2010/apr/10/shotgun-petes-bbq-shack-l-restaurant/

The propane company came out with the two 100 lb tanks last monday.
Each tank should last me 6 or more days and cost about $70 each.
This is about half what I was paying using the small tanks.
They will come out and exchange the tank when I call each week.
This will work perfectly for me.
I did not want a bigger tank because then I would probably have had to get permits dues to hazmat issues etc.
The tanks I got will be fine for me.

I also figured out that the big grill we built does not need the gas at all to work, but I left the burner in it just in case I need it sometime.
It works great with only wood and hardwood charcoal.

I am now able to finish up my day by 7 pm (closing at 6 pm)!

We are running a Monday thru Friday schedule and this is also working great. I have not had weekends off for many years and am so happy now that I do.
Yes...I could be having sales on Saturdays (and even sundays), but quality of life is an issue and I'm gonna run this how I see fit.

We are doing just fine and staying busy enough to keep us worn out just during the week! Laughing
Our customers have adapted to our hours and are fine with it.
We get a last hour rush between 5 and 6 pm, with people buying up ribs and sides to take home. It's working out and so far so good!

I wanted a bbq business and also wanted to be able to be happier with the hours I am having to work. I got what I wanted. Wink

My dad and Sister Jennifer and her two smallest kids (Ryan & Tyler) were here for a week and we had a great time.
Dad loved the BBQ Shack, and did not want to leave. I wish he could have stayed longer!
I think they are coming back this summer. I sure hope so.

Dad interacted with a lot of our customers during his visit and they loved it when they figured out that HE was Shotgun Pete! I was just thrilled to see him so happy as well.
It made this all worth it.

I will be back soon with more. I don't have any recent pictures since I have been way too busy to take any lately, but I will try to get some new photos soon.

"If you can't BBQ with the Big Dogs, back away from the Pit!"

SHOTGUN PETE'S BBQ SHACK
28 N Ninth St
COLUMBIA, MO

(Downtown across from The Blue Note)
BluzQue
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11 10 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear from you Shotgun Petes Very Happy
Nice write up in the local paper. I know your dad
is as proud as can be! Keep up the good work &
enjoy!

Cool

GOOD MUSIC GOOD FOOD GOOD BEER GREAT FRIENDS

OLE BOY OFFSET SMOKER
WEBER PERFORMER GRILL
WHISKEY BARREL SMOKER
smokin Jim
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11 10 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good article. Thanks for sharing. I am glad you are doing well and were able to share it with your Dad. I am sure he is very proud of you and your efforts, as he should be. Keep up the good work.
VC5007 gasser
KCBS CBJ
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13 10 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shotgun Petes wrote:

Yes...I could be having sales on Saturdays (and even Sundays), but quality of life is an issue and I'm gonna run this how I see fit.

We are doing just fine and staying busy enough to keep us worn out just during the week! Laughing
Our customers have adapted to our hours and are fine with it.
We get a last hour rush between 5 and 6 pm, with people buying up ribs and sides to take home. It's working out and so far so good!

I wanted a bbq business and also wanted to be able to be happier with the hours I am having to work. I got what I wanted. Wink

Congrats Phil, You are definitely bucking the norm of what most restaurant owners try to do by making as much money as they possibly can at start-up to get out of debt, and make sure they have enough cash reserves on hand just in case their business slows down or they need to replace a piece of equipment unexpectedly.

I got to hand it to you. (isn't there a joke about a blind hooker that uses that same statement?) Usually when someome goes into restaurant ownership, they come to a realization that they will have very little personal time outside of their business that they had just created. Especially in it's infancy.
It looks like you pulled it off by putting your wants in front of the customers and that is a very bold move that I would have never attempted, especially so early on in your business.
I wish all the luck in the world that it works out for you.
Shotgun Petes
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14 10 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not every business situation is the same. What works for one may not work for another.
I have a very unique setup (the only one of it's kind in this area) and the whole concept from the beginning was to create a BBQ that caters mostly to a lunch oriented business, with some after-lunch sales.

I never had any intention to be an every-day all-day, and evening food establishment.
I'm not McDonalds. That's a whole different type of fast food world and the 24/7 model is expected from them.

People that come to my BBQ understand what I am doing (mostly) and are just happy that they have a new BBQ place to enjoy.
Yes, there are some who would want me to be open all hours of the day every day.
I'm not interested in doing that. That's not who we are.

As, I mentioned before...the hours and kind of setup (a bbq shack) that I have are not a new thing. Many a BBQ shack in the Southeast United States have done and do exactly what I am doing....by keeping limited hours and selling mostly lunch and last minute take home meals.
It is a tried and true method and it's what I had in mind.

It's an old-school concept, which is exactly what I wanted to bring to Columbia. We are doing well with it so far and our customers are treated well with a big smile and great food.
This is how we will remain in business....by offering great tastin' Q and treating everyone like family.

I have taken orders many times after closing, just to be kind to that hungry customer as long as they get there within a reasonable time near the posted closing hour of 6 pm.
Once the food is cold and the security bars are on the windows though we are closed for the day.

I'm doing everything I can to sell the best bbq in town. As long as I do that we will be busy and my customers will be happy and well fed! Wink

SHOTGUN PETE'S BBQ SHACK
28 N Ninth St
COLUMBIA, MO

Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14 10 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not understand why you are being defensive, it was a friggin compliment.
Lighten up Francis!!
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14 10 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did you have to send the paper a press release, or did they just show up?
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
kingconsulting
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14 10 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we could say why are you being slightly offensive in your post? That's how it came across to me. I don't consider what he wrote being defensive?

All I know is that what works for one may not be best for another person. He is enjoying what he is doing and making money to boot. Can't ask for much more than that.

Harry Nutczak wrote:
I do not understand why you are being defensive, it was a friggin compliment.
Lighten up Francis!!

New Braunfels El Dorado
Kevan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14 10 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shotgun,
Unfortunately in your very first post you said "Questions & comments welcome... ". I say unfortunately because some take this to mean pick apart every aspect of you BBQ enterprise. I have always attempted to live by the credo to not offer advice unless asked (often difficult). Some may argue that this is a forum and as such is a venue for an exchange of ideas. I do believe that this forum is exceedingly valuable in that regard. I have learned an immense amount here. I do however wish that advice was witheld unless asked for. Reading about your start up and the day to day things you post is of great interest to me and I am sure many others. I hope you will continue to post and perhaps ignore that which is annoying.
Thank you for sharing your experiences!
Kevan
cjschuckwagon
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14 10 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is very good to see a dream come to fruition. it is obvious that what you have accomplished is the end result of a lifetime of planning and dreaming.
cj
Jerk Pit Master
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15 10 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respect Shotgun!

Wishing you continued success. Stay focused on your plan. The longer you can keep the business a labor of love the better. Getting some balance in your live is the best way to do that.
BluzQue
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15 10 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevan wrote:
Shotgun,
Unfortunately in your very first post you said "Questions & comments welcome... ". I say unfortunately because some take this to mean pick apart every aspect of you BBQ enterprise. I have always attempted to live by the credo to not offer advice unless asked (often difficult). Some may argue that this is a forum and as such is a venue for an exchange of ideas. I do believe that this forum is exceedingly valuable in that regard. I have learned an immense amount here. I do however wish that advice was witheld unless asked for. Reading about your start up and the day to day things you post is of great interest to me and I am sure many others. I hope you will continue to post and perhaps ignore that which is annoying.
Thank you for sharing your experiences!
Kevan

Amen brother Wink

Cool

GOOD MUSIC GOOD FOOD GOOD BEER GREAT FRIENDS

OLE BOY OFFSET SMOKER
WEBER PERFORMER GRILL
WHISKEY BARREL SMOKER
Shotgun Petes
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15 10 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!
I will say this...I really do appreciate what everyone has to offer in the way of experience and insight....
and no offense taken on any comments here.
I feel sharing ideas is a great thing.

I'm doing something new and old at the same time...and so far it is working for us.
Time will tell. I was slammed today and am sore all over but what fun it was seeing all of the happy and pleased customers!

I love making good food and sharing (selling in this case) with people.

Harry, sometimes it's hard to feel where a person is coming from on a forum.
If you were complimenting me (as you said you were) I would like to thank you for that. Much appreciated.
Wink

SHOTGUN PETE'S BBQ SHACK
28 N Ninth St
COLUMBIA, MO

Mr.T

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16 10 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great post. Thanks for taking the time to put up so much info and pics. I wish you mountains of success. I know it's real early but just wondering what the final goal is? You seem like the kind of man who has a plan. Are you just looking to get as much as you can out of this place and/or open a bigger place or another place somewhere not so far away? Is there a grand scheme?
Shotgun Petes
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18 10 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday was an awesome day. We were booming the whole day from open to close! I hardly had any leftovers at all to put away. It seemed like one long 7 hour lunch rush. It started out as a rainy day, but got nicer as it went.

I finally used up one of those 100 lb propane tanks on Friday also. It lasted ten days of cooking from 8 am to about 5 pm. That's pretty good for only $70!

So, we have been open about a month now with good business and show no signs of slowing down. I am trying hard to stay consistent with everything I am cooking and selling.

I added Brats to the menu on Friday as a special and they sold pretty good at $3.50 each, served on a hotdog bun with either bbq sauce or mustard.
I ate 3 of them myself! I think I will keep them on the menu! Laughing

SHOTGUN PETE'S BBQ SHACK
28 N Ninth St
COLUMBIA, MO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 14 of 42

Jump to: