FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keeping out of the weather

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29 05 5:19 am    Post subject: Keeping out of the weather Reply with quote

Do any of you use one of those portable canopy's to cover your smoker when rain threatens? If so how does the heat from the firebox affect the material?
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29 05 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I glad you posted this thread, I have had problems myself. THe heat from the smoker has not messed up my canopy at all, but i left about 4 feet between the firebox and the side of the tent. I want to find or make some sort of insulation blanket to put over my smoker when the weather gets bad but i dont really know what material would work best.

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29 05 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mds2, what is your tent made out of? I wanted to get one of those pop-up canopy's that they sell at Academy but I don't want to spend the $$ then melt it first time out. As far as insulation goes I read on the Klose website that he advises using an old moving blanket. The newer ones are made with polyester & things that would melt on contact with your pit. Way back when I had my first Brinkman they made a "smoker jacket" for it that worked very well it was foil filled with insulation and it snapped together at the seams on the smoker body. I can't find a comparable material and I have looked. Sad
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29 05 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is polyester or something. It is one of those pop up ones that fits in a bag. it is 12'x12' and i got it for $120. I think as long as the fire box isnt right up against the side of the tent you will be ok.

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29 05 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOOHOO! then that's what I'm going to get! Thanks mds2! It's a relief to know that I won't have to put a roof over the patio I have yet to build. Very Happy
dholcomb1946
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29 05 11:06 am    Post subject: Cover Reply with quote

I bought one of the 10X20 garage cover from Walmart $199. It last about 3 years of continous use. I put it up on my concrete patio & covered the swing, pitt, gas grill & a few plants. Worked good for me.

In the winter I put the sides & doors on it, light the gas grill & keep the plants above freezing, that is IF it freezes here.
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29 05 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heat from the firebox won't affect your canopy unless the canopy falls down onto the firebox Very Happy The only thing that might be of concern is the canopy getting slightly discolored from the smoke. They make those canopies in different colors, so I might opt for a darker color.

I haven't found that the rain affects my smoker too much. Mine is fairly big, with a lot of steel to heat up, and once it gets going it takes a ton of rain to notice any difference.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30 05 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do any kind of public outdoor events, the fire marshall will want to see the fire rating on whatever your canopy material is made of......just something to think about! Confused We use Sunbrella, which holds up real well (they use it on boats a lot here) but is expensive. If you have a semi-permanent location, it is well worth the extra money. It also comes in a lot of color options too! Very Happy
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30 05 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen a fire marshall at any competition.

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30 05 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most places here (Florida) they come around before the event starts- depends on where you are from I guess! (they also check for fire extinguishers) Private functions are obviously your call! Very Happy
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11 05 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build a permenant BBQ shed over your pit. It will keep all your gear dry!

zilla
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: