FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

retrofit a gas line into my pitmaster

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zak

PostPosted: Jun 28 2005    Post subject: retrofit a gas line into my pitmaster Reply with quote

I'd like to get some sort of gas burner into my Brinkmann Pitmaster but not for smoking but for gas grilling when I need something fast, burgers, dogs etc. Anyone have an idea of how to do this???? I've seen the after/burner but not sure if that would work, but for the pretty cheap price I might just give it a try and rig something up. If I could figure this out, I could use my smoker as a smoker, charcoal grill and a gas grill. Perfect!

thanks,

Zak
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Jun 30 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can fit "universal" grill burners if you are handy, but be CAREFUL, it is gas! You cannot run gas burners at the same time as the firebox- lack of oxygen will snuff out the propane till you lift the lid, then it will be lift-off when the gas ignites! Crying or Very sad I much less dangerous option is to fit charcaol pans below the grate with hangers, so when you are done grilling they can be easily removed. Very Happy
Zak

OH yeah, I would never be using both fuels at the same time. I just want to use gas once in a while when either I or mostly my wife wants to cook up some burgers or dogs or somethign quick.

Good idea about the universal kits. Might go check that out. I could make some sort of a unit similar to the afterburner but with a larger burner, that I can insert and remove when needed from the smoker.
Zak

and I love your traveling rig!! Forwarded your site to a group of friends as we are all into smoking/bbqing.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

If you do go with gas, remember to leave the lid open, or you will need to add air vents for proper gas burn. Crying or Very sad Gas grills have large open areas for a reason! Very Happy Be careful whatever you do, it is not worth turning yourself into a burnt piece of meat! Crying or Very sad
Zak

Good points! We may jsut go with a small single burner/portable grill to put out on the deck. I love to get a TEC cherokoo but don't want to drop 600 on one.

But finding a few nice portable grills in SS that have some impressive specs.
tank

PostPosted: Jul 13 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know how mechanically inclined you are, but i needed custom ones due to the size of my brick grill/smoker. i ran a natural gas line from the house with 1/2" black steel natural gas pipe. i added a few shutoff valves for safety & flame adjustment at different places. for the actual burners, i used joined 1 foot sections of the 3/8" black steel pipe with small holes that i had drilled into them. it works like a charm. you can cover the homemade burners with angle iron or the weber flavorizor bars they sell at home depot or where ever. mine are buried in lava rocks which take on some flavor over time. i cant for the life of me figure out how to post pictures on here, or id post a few photos to give you a few ideas.
Zak

Thanks for the tip Tank. I'm ok mechanically, guess better than average. We've been using our old thermos gas grill lately for burgers and steaks and they've been coming out pretty well. might just take the burner out of that and see if i can rig it into the smoker and use your lava rock idea. Ideal solution would be a removeable gas insert that I can take out if I want to put in a giant amount of charcoal to do a ton of burgers or steaks for a neighborhood party as I use my smoker as a grill a lot. Just like the convience of gas for small things, and i'm sick of having so much stuff on the deck!

you can email me the pics if you want. zruck at phillyrovers.com just put the normal at symbol in.
tank

might just take the burner out of that and see if i can rig it into the smoker and use your lava rock idea. Ideal solution would be a removeable gas insert that I can take out if I want to put in a giant amount of charcoal to do a ton of burgers or steaks for a neighborhood party as I use my smoker as a grill a lot. Just like the convience of gas for small things, and i'm sick of having so much stuff on the deck!

you can email me the pics if you want. zruck at phillyrovers.com just put the normal at symbol in.[/quote]

just suspend the gas burners in the smoker chamber & burn the charcoal below/around it. you'll have a valve or two, so you'll be ok. besides, if there is a gas leak(you'll smell it & need to repair it anyway), the escaping gas will simply light while the charcoal is buring. i sent you a few photos & on second thought, ill set you a few of my smoker set up so you can see that i burn whole logs under my burners with no problems. it sounds like you have a good idea thats worth following through on. i love being able to grill, or smoke food for large amounts of people at one time. [/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: