FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thighs on Traeger Grill

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Chicken Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
morreythomas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24 10 5:59 am    Post subject: Thighs on Traeger Grill Reply with quote

I need feedback to perfect chicken thighs on my Traeger 070 Lil Tex. I saw a KCBS competitor cooking thighs on a Lil Tex like mine. I know he finishes high in the money so he knows how to make his Treager work well for this particular meat item.
I like deep smoke flavor, so my personal favorite setting is "smoke". Problem is that I want to cook at 275 and the temp my Traeger gives me on smoke is 210.
Additionally, how would you suggest I finish off the thighs with my finish/glaze? Should I put the sauced thighs on a glowing bed of charcoals or maybe turn the heat up to high right on the Traeger to set the sauce?
Thanks to you experienced Traeger users for any tips.
billr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07 10 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try cooking them first at the higher temp and then setting it to smoke until they are like 10-15 degrees from the final temp. Glaze them and put them under the broiler in your oven set to low. That should crisp up the outside. Careful if the sauce/glaze is too sugary.

I just cook on one notch above smoke and sauce them halfway through. But I also remove the skins, so I'm usually not looking for crispy. Gooey is enough for me. Very Happy
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07 10 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you competing or just wanting to cook them, I couldn't tell (since this was posted in the general section).

Go with a two temp method.

Smoke for x amount on smoke and finish on higher temp for better skin.

It's not the traeger he's using that's finishing high, it's the overall method and there can be a lot of steps for that.

There are a bunch of chicken threads in the comp forum that will give you some tips.
byebyeducky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30 10 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not one to ask, I just crank the traeger on high and pull the chicken off when the skin is crispy. I guess I am afraid that a smoke session will dry it out. I would love to figure out how to get the best of both worlds though, moist smokey chicken!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Chicken Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: