FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'going the extra mile' cherry smoked turkeyloaf (with pron)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RustNRoll

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04 10 9:27 am    Post subject: 'going the extra mile' cherry smoked turkeyloaf (with pron) Reply with quote

well picked up some new lump after being disappointed with royal oak. i had previously tried wicked good, and it was awesome, but i wanted to stick with american hardwood lump. wicked good was south american. anyways i picked up a bag of dragon's breath. made in the ne usa and rated 'highly recommended' by the lump ratings bible naked whiz (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag78.htm).
also picked up some cherry chunks to try as ive not tried it yet.

decided to make turkey meatloaf, but take it to the next level and really kick it up like i do when i cook thanksgiving turkey (3 days off work to prepare everything). my conception of the end result was to have the turkey, stuffing, veggies, cranberry sauce and mashed potatoes all together. i figured i could try a sheperds pie version another time with the potatoes added in, but i figured this time theyd be on the side.

so to make a prime sauce/gravy for the turkey i made a mirepoix (equal amounts of celery, carrots and onion, vidalia in this case) added some turkey base, some butter and the only white wine i had kicking around chardonnay. (i use reisling at thanksgiving but didnt feel like making a trip to the liquor store. ) i put it in my favorite cast iron pan and put in the smoker (Sam) and let it simmer while i mixed up my turkey loaf.

mixed up the turkey loaf ingredients which were lean ground turkey, stouffers herb stuffing mix in place of bread crumbs, an egg, a generous helping of whole berry cranberry sauce, half a block of diced sharp cheddar cheese, and turkey rub.

i let the mirepoix simmer, then drained the juice to use in the gravy and spread the vegetables across the bottom of the pan before i put in the loaf mix. after the loaf mix was in the pan i topped it generously with more cranberry sauce for a glaze.

i put it in Sam at 375 to cook until 168 internal temp. i used a chunk of cherry for smoke and man was it smelling awesome.

in the meantime i started on the skin on mashed potatoes and gravy.

gravy started with a dark blonde roux, then the juices from the mirepoix, then milk, a bit of salt and pepper, some turkey rub, some cranberry sauce, more wine, and then simmered. when i pulled the loaf from Sam there was lots of juice in the pan so i added it to the gravy.

the finished loaf wasnt as dark as i had thought it might turn out with cherry, but it was cooked to perfection:

the final plate (doesnt look like much for all the work but it was awesomely tasty):

it tasted awesome. the cherry smoke was a nice light note and the mirepoix beneath the loaf served to really add alot of savory flavor to the loaf, and to the gravy. it was alot of work for a seemingly plain dish, but the flavors really popped and my wife said it was my best execution of the turkey meatloaf dinner yet. i agree as it was awesomely tasty.
Boomer
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04 10 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RustNRoll

I appreciate the work you went thru to get to the
end product, real nice job on the loaf

boomer
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04 10 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job on the meatloaf RustNRoll,as for your Dragon Breath Lump you will not be disapointed in it.I get it here in Canada and love the stuff,fairly big chunks,burns long and hot with less ash than most,and it is rated very high up in the Naked Whiz charcoal data base.Great charcoal for grilling.The only thing that bothers me is the hefty price tag.....
$23 Canadian. Crying or Very sad
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
RustNRoll

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05 10 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Bacon wrote:
Nice job on the meatloaf RustNRoll,as for your Dragon Breath Lump you will not be disapointed in it.I get it here in Canada and love the stuff,fairly big chunks,burns long and hot with less ash than most,and it is rated very high up in the Naked Whiz charcoal data base.Great charcoal for grilling.The only thing that bothers me is the hefty price tag.....
$23 Canadian. Crying or Very sad

its only 18$ here. im trying it out high heat tonight, going to do some steaks up. it worked nicely yesterday. definitely a large step up from royal oak.
italian skewer
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05 10 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ain't rusty but sure is rolling. Good choice to try the Dragons Breath. Cool
Weber 22.5" Silver
Weber Smokey Joe

If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: