FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WHERE TO FIND FREE/CHEAP STEEL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DKWRRT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23 10 1:26 am    Post subject: WHERE TO FIND FREE/CHEAP STEEL Reply with quote

I am just starting my build on my cooker and have run into a problem. My free drum was only 26 inches wide and when I cut that in half for the door I realized that on a NC style cooker my coals were only going to be about 11-12 inches away from the grate. So I think I have come up with a solution of cutting out just the bottom of the barrel and putting "24 inch wings" on it and reusing the bottom of the barrel for the floor with some 3/16 or 1/4 steel for reinforcement. Now I just checked online and almost fainted. 1 sheet of 3/16 is 165.00 and the 1/4 is 225.00, so I need some help on how to find free or cheap steel. As best as I can figure I will need 2 pieces 24 wide by 5 feet long for the wings and a piece 5 feet long and 4 feet wide for the floor. I will try to post pictures of what I have cut out so some of the veterans can give me their opinion. Thanks a bunch Donnie.
seattlepitboss
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23 10 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to get bits of plate steel from time to time but it is nearly impossible to walk out your door one day and come home with a couple of sheets of steel for free.

The easiest way to obtain plate steel is to find the money, and buy it from a steel vendor. Money is straightforward to come by. I bet you could raise enough money in a week by selling stuff you never use.

Anyway, my best answer is drops from big fab shops or scrounging at welding schools where you are well known.

It's often a mistake to go after low cost steel. Often you will get metal that has several coats of paint on it, has been welded, and is rusty underneath all that. It will take you a week's worth of work to get it down to usable pieces. I simply think it's easier to work for a week and take the money and buy the steel.

seattlepitboss
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: