FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

22 pound Turkey's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Chicken Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29 10 5:17 pm    Post subject: 22 pound Turkey's Reply with quote

I have 3 - 22 pound turkeys to smoke for an event this Saturday - I have done 12 pounders in as little as 5 hours, but never this big O' bird in my smoker....I can barely get them in my upper shelf [ due to height - they have plenty of room between them] and my lower shelf will be half covered with 100 pounds O' Butt's [ no real issue of drippings of bird on pork ] I am confident I can do the butt's in 10 hours or less, any suggestions on the birds?
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29 10 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, that's a big bird. Spatch 'em if you have the room.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29 10 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 22 pound Turkey's Reply with quote

Mr Tony's BBQ wrote:
...[ no real issue of drippings of bird on pork ]

Why? Everything I've seen about food safety says to not let poultry drip on other foods. It also leaves some funky looks streaks.

22lb'ers are gonna be old and tough, so keep that in mind. I'd do as suggested, either spatchcock or maybe part them out somewhat. Cook the breasts whole and cut the dark meat out, cook it separate.
pyronoel
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29 10 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a big one a few weeks ago. I let it smoke for 3 hours, then foiled and finished in the oven, so I could fit more onto the grill.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29 10 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poultry on the bottom or poultry only over poultry is the way I cook, I don't do poultry over anything else, as 99% of the time the other meat went on first it's a little bit of a hassle, but I prefer a little hassle to even chancing making someone sick.

I've seen folks get away with it, but at the end of the day I would rather not be the one taking that risk.

See disclaimer below!

I still work here!
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30 10 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"no real issues of drippings on pork" was stated because I have plenty of room for the shoulders on the other side of the smoker, not that I was willing to baste pork with bird!!! LOL
Now that we cleared that up.....any time suggestions? I dont believe they are that old, probably just really pumped up on steroids and brine.... Shocked
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30 10 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you have the room, and happy that you clarified your pit layout, better to inform those that don't have the extra room or the knowledge about poultry over other things, than to say nothing and have someone make their friends sick instead, IMO.

That said, I'd be looking at 6.5 - 7.5 hours for 22 lb birds.

I like to cook poultry at 275 - 300, (hotter rather than colder works better for me), that said I guesstimate 17 - 19 minutes / lb but I'd start checking at 15 minutes / lb or around the 5.5 hour mark.

I like to test in the breast, parallel to the keel bone, or just wait for the turkey timer to pop out! Rolling Eyes Wink Laughing

I still work here!
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30 10 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:
I like to test in the breast, parallel to the keel bone, or just wait for the turkey timer to pop out! Rolling Eyes Wink Laughing

I always pull that damned plastic piece of crap out while the bird is still raw. What are those things calibrated for anyway...180, 185, 190? Whatever it is...the bird is WAY overdone when that thing finally decides to pop up.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04 10 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brined for 1.5 days, then smoked them about 7 hours at 250, top shelf with pans under. Foiled birds and stuck in cooler, kept juices hot in smoker- tons of it! Breast meat was so tender it could hardly be cut without falling apart, but not all dried out - added to some of the hot juices to ensure drippin sammies!! Dark meat was a little tough in spots, but delicious!! Made some gravy from drippings - actually had enough leftover gravy to put out the fire before hitting the freeway for the 6 hour ride home!
I panned and foiled the 120 pounds of butts at about 8 hours - about 180....the pans were 1/2 full with juice when I went to pull at the 11 hour mark! Wish it wasnt such a rush to get the team fed, I would have taken pics....I am such a failure Crying or Very sad

I DO have about 15 pounds of pork and 3 pounds of turkey as memories!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Soapm
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04 10 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to put the chicken on the side closest the firebox since that side is usually hotter. So instead of dividing top and bottom I divide left and right.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04 10 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a reverse flow Lang, only a small spot directly over fire box is actually any hotter, only if I build the fire to the back of the box, closer to the cooking chamber. I can even make the other end hotter by raising the nose, which is what I did this time just in case!! I keep the "hot spot" available in case something needs a late quick warming, I even thickened gravy over it this time out. If a butt is acting too slow, I will move it there too - I have seared briskets there also......I LOVE MY LANG!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Chicken Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: