FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lincoln AC-225

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swatchie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04 10 10:45 pm    Post subject: Lincoln AC-225 Reply with quote

I might be picking up this package soon and wanted to make sure I wont be getting fleeced. I haven't done any stick welding since the 90's and learned that I dont really trust Mig welding.

The package consists of a Lincoln AC-225 with Hood NIB
3 Boxes of rods and a Rod Container
All for 275.00

Good to go or buy seperates?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04 10 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swatchie, is the machine new?
It can be had at Home Depot for around 270.00. the hood might be the deciding factor. If it is a high end hood then your saving some good bucks, if not and you want an A/C machine I would buy new and get what warranty comes with it. Personally I would spend a bit more and go with an A/C D/C machine you will be glad you did in the end.

Hybrid Cooker
swatchie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05 10 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He says it is new in box. It was bought in 2009 he states.

I want an AC/DC but dont know if the SWMBO will spring for 600 for one. I am going to work on her, you know, for Xmas !
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05 10 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you keep an eye on Craigs List you should be able to pick up either a Lincoln or Miller AC/DC stick welder used for somewhere in the 300 dollar range. Those machines seem to keep on ticking for ever as long as they were not completely abused, so you may want to keep an eye out for that.
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05 10 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that add. I have the same welder and it works great for me. Didn't the guy say he had the original receipt? I just looked at the post on CL again. he said $70 worth of accessories so it is the wide view non auto darkening hood. The rods are like $11 a box, the hood is $35. To me it would seem pay the extra $75 dollars for new from HD and have all the warranty.

Check CL San Antonio found this one for $175. I don't think it will cost $100 in gas to drive down there, and then you can go to the Little Red Barn and have a steak Wink .

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/tls/2035512745.html

Or check Dallas. AC/DC $275

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/bar/2040465867.html

JM2C good luck with the search, and I can only assume up coming build.
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05 10 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
I would spend a bit more and go with an A/C D/C machine you will be glad you did in the end.

+1 thats a fact jack
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05 10 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the AC machine is all the budget can do for now, the Lincoln is a good machine, just be sure and get the "Lincoln AC" nomenclature rods when using a 7018 unless sympathy from the missus is the only way to aquire the AC / DC rig "cause you are going to need lots of it trying to use a non AC Lo-hy rod. An Auto darkening hood is darn near a must as well with a stick machine. +1 on the Little Red Barn.
swatchie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05 10 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whelp. The SWMBO spoke and I am obeying. We are getting an AC/DC from Northern Tool I believe. Very Happy

Glad I came and started this thread. It was able to allow her to see it and understand the need for the extra 200 bucks.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06 10 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swatchie, congrats on your decision and I am glad the Mrs. understood. This time more is better. Very Happy You will probably never switch to A/C once you weld D/C reverse. I am not sure what Northern tool sells as far as brands but the Hobart stickmate is made by Miller and they are for the most part identical machines and you save money. If you need some tune ups just ask and we can get you going. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
swatchie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07 10 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. They have the hobart and lincoln for the same price. The Hobart is a little more powerful, and has longer leads. Plus it looks nicer. The Lincoln looks kinda cheap exterior wise Very Happy

Thanks for everyones input in this thread. Will have pics up when I get it and stuff. Will be my xmas present so will be a while!
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07 10 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swatchie wrote:
Whelp. The SWMBO spoke and I am obeying. We are getting an AC/DC from Northern Tool I believe. Very Happy

Glad I came and started this thread. It was able to allow her to see it and understand the need for the extra 200 bucks.

So this was the plan all along and we were just being used? Good plan Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: