FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chicken Skin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Chicken Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SMOKIN BULL BBQ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20 09 12:47 am    Post subject: Chicken Skin Reply with quote

Just curious. Does anyone have some good ideas on how to keep the skin on chicken from becoming tough everytime? I have been unsuccessful in my attempts thus far.
trapper
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20 09 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried cooking it at higher temps? I usually cook chicken around 325*-350*
SMOKIN BULL BBQ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20 09 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when I cook on my webber kettle i tend to use a bit higher cooking temp but the problem is when I use my smoker the skin on my chicken thighs always come out tough.
trapper
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20 09 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is how I cook chicken on the weber kettle. I made a charcoal basket out of expanded metal that is half moon shaped and about 4" deep. I fill it with unlit lump charcoal and scatter pieces of hardwood (usually oak or hickory) throughout the charcoal. I then light 5 briquettes and when they are ashed over I put them on one end of the basket. With the bottom intakes closed all the way and the lid vent open the grate temps run around 250*. I put the chicken on the side opposite the coals and when the thighs reach about 150* internal temp. I take the grill off and stir up the coals which gets them going pretty hot and put the chicken back on, still indirect but with the bottom intakes open now. The skin seems to be crisped up about the same time the internal temp reaches 165*-170*.
SMOKIN BULL BBQ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20 09 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I appreciate the tips.
heavydrinker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12 09 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should cook in high temperature put salt in it and also try to use too many oil in it ..Deep frying is the key to it
Bunqui
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23 09 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spray the skin with oil and place it skin down on a hot grill until the skin browns. Then move it, skin up, to an indirect heat to finish it off. Works every time.

Weber Smokey Joe
LIAR#38
FullofBull

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28 09 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to cook my chickens at about 350, about the last 20-30 min of cooking I will either spray the chickens with PAM or I will brush with melted butter.
Tom C
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28 09 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like others have said, cook at a higher temp. I cook mine about 275*-300* and rub down the skin with olive oil and seasoning. I also spray the skin during the cook with apple juice and olive oil mix. Works great!
loungefly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02 09 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post is for the prior three posters - TomC, FullofBull and Bunqui. Are you really able to have a crispy skin on your chicken utilizing the methods that you described in your posts? Or were you just stating the method that you use to smoke chicken?

CharGriller Pro
DPP Fat 50
Tom C
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02 09 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loungefly wrote:
This post is for the prior three posters - TomC, FullofBull and Bunqui. Are you really able to have a crispy skin on your chicken utilizing the methods that you described in your posts? Or were you just stating the method that you use to smoke chicken?

Hi loungefly,

The original question was how to keep the skin from being tough which is what I spoke to. The results I get are a skin that has all to most of the fat rendered leaving it slightly crispy. Something like you would see with a rotisserie chicken. If you want very crispy, you will need to finish it on a grill.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chism/4067637260/in/set-72157600945596915/
Bunqui
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02 09 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has gotten me thinking so I tried something a little different by not putting the chicken on the hot side at the beginning.

I did a small smoked chicken this Sunday to practice getting ready for Thanksgiving this year. I put together a chimney of RO lump and placed it on the smoker side of the Duo with a foil shield between the coals and bird for about 1.5-2 hours at around 350-375.

The bird was done with a coating of oil along with a sweet/spicey rub and some steakhouse seasoning.

The skin was browned, not breaking apart crispy like a rotisserie chicken.

I'll do a separate post when I get the pics.

Weber Smokey Joe
LIAR#38
marlyn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03 10 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heavydrinker wrote:
You should cook in high temperature put salt in it and also try to use too many oil in it ..Deep frying is the key to it

Perfect screen name...
more to come!
Jason_Florida

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11 10 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cook chicken by one of 2 methods:

1. Whole chicken using the rotisserie attachment on my CharGriller. I keep the coals a bit offset from the chicken, but in the cook chamber.

2. Cut up chicken parts in my Weber kettle. I build a 2 zone fire. 9 minutes total over direct heat, and 9 minutes with indirect heat. Once it goes to indirect heat I start mopping. The mop sauce is equal parts cider vinegar and vegetable oil with a dash of Worcestershire sauce, a dash of hot sauce a teaspoon of mustard powder and a teaspoon of brown sugar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Chicken Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: